Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

For a moment… Let’s take a quick peek ahead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: For a moment… Let’s take a quick peek ahead Reply with quote

Honestly I do believe that Spags is truly the right man for the job here, he just needs time to acquire the type of players he needs to make his defense successful. Having said that, if we do end up with a top 15 draft selection whom do you feel should be our top target on draft day to help get this defense headed in the right direction?

For me it’s…

Bjoren Werner DE Florida State

While Werner may come as a surprise to a few of you, to me he just seems like the logical fit in Spagnuolo’s defensive scheme. At 6’4” and 278lbs the German born Werner possesses the natural size and girth 43 defense’s look for in their front line players but besides his size Werner also boasts freakish strength and power as well as an exceptional burst. He has a wicked bull and rip move and has been super productive in the ACC since arriving in Tallahassee as a true freshman.

At Florida State Werner (because of his size and the presence of Brandon Jenkins) played LE for the most part of his career thus far. His combination of size, power and burst make him a nightmare for either right or left tackles to deal with. With FSU’s Brandon Jenkins injury this season Werner has seen more playing time on his more natural position on the right side and he hasn’t disappointed with 6 sacks through the first two games.

In New Orleans, Werner’s addition would allow the Saints to release the respected but overpaid and underproductive Will Smith and give Spagnuolo and solid foundation to build on with Jordan, Hicks and Werner.

One pick will not solve all our problems next April but in my opinion, the selection of Bjoren Werner and his unique skill set and nonstop motor would give the Saints defense the biggest bang for their buck.

He’s simply the kinda player that makes everyone else around him better!

What say you?
WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Werner. The only thing that bothers me is that he's playing LDE in college

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I really like Werner. The only thing that bothers me is that he's playing LDE in college

I agree but the only reason for that was because of the pressence of Brandon Jenkins whos much smaller and quicker. After Jenkins injury though they have been moving Werner around often.

Werner usually weights in at around 272-276 but this offseason he commited himself to a better condition program and is down to 258-260. It seems thus far it hasent affected his power and his burst has improved. I truly think hes one of the most underrated players comming into this draft and a good fit at RDE in Spags scheme.

Porter22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is my favourite player in any draft the past 5 years. Believe me, he will be a top defense player in the league to come, but a top 15 pick won't be enough to get him. Come draft day he will be a top 5 pick and the first pure DE taken.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtP-K5E3UAY

I know it's a youtube video and you can't really judge a player on those videos, but he looks really impressive and this was in his sophomore year!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
He is my favourite player in any draft the past 5 years. Believe me, he will be a top defense player in the league to come, but a top 15 pick won't be enough to get him. Come draft day he will be a top 5 pick and the first pure DE taken.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtP-K5E3UAY

I know it's a youtube video and you can't really judge a player on those videos, but he looks really impressive and this was in his sophomore year!

I agree with you on his talent level but I really feel he will fall somewhere between 6-12. Everyone gets holes poked in them and I feel teams will be wowed by the freakish athletic ability of certin defensive players (Mingo,Montgomery,Jones) combined with team needs and importance of quarterback that it will cause a top 5 talent high motor/effort guy like Werner to drop a few spots.

Still... Saints need to be aggressive and land this guy. To me he might not have the freakish athletic ability like some n this draft but he possesses size, strength, great work ethic and a high motor relentless effort much like a Jared Allen r Justin Smith type.

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure DE? No way. This guy could be a premier OLB in the 3-4. A Jared Allen type of player.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Pure DE? No way. This guy could be a premier OLB in the 3-4. A Jared Allen type of player.

Jared Allen has everything you look for in a 43 RDE... Werner has alot of the same traits that Allen possesses.

Werner usually weights in around 270-275lbs, he's down to 258 now to deal with the college spread. Once in the NFL he'll likley be a 265-275lb lineman.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Werner. I don't know too much about Buchannon or Jeffcoat though. Anyone got any good videos on those two? I'm totally unimpressed with the LSU duo so far this season.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I really like Werner. I don't know too much about Buchannon or Jeffcoat though. Anyone got any good videos on those two? I'm totally unimpressed with the LSU duo so far this season.

I tell ya Flood...

I keep hearing alot of people are down on the LSU duo. I understand that the stats arent there but I really feel thats due to the nature of college football offense and the way teams are protecting themselvs from the edge rush aganist LSU.

Mingo and Montgomery to me are still top 10 picks.

I feel the top 5 pass rushers are as follows...

1. Jarvis Jones
2. Barkevious Mingo
3. Bj Werner
4. Sam Montgomery
5. William Gholston

To be honest... all of these guys have concerns in my book.

1. Will Jarvis Jones's neck clear medically?
2. How big of a concern is Keke's lean frame?
3. Is Bj Werner best suited at left of right end?
4. Will Montgomery's knee clear medically?
5. Will William Gholston turn out to be is cousin Vernon?

Even with all that I think it's clear that the Saints need to start getting aggressive in their attempts to land quality NFL pass rushers and try to land one of these guys. Unless their willing to pay top dollar for guys like Cliff Avril or Michael Johnson if available.

The Falcons got aggressive to land Juilo Jones and thats paying off for them big time right now... Time for us to make a move!

PS: Maybe a guy like Bucs DE Michael Bennett is worth a look as well if he hits FA.

saintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One cool positive note from the season so far; Lofton is tied for 3rd in the NFL with 44 tackles through 4 games. Dude is a tackle machine, I don't remember the last time we had a defensive player in the top 10 for tackles in the NFL, let alone top 3.
Also, Patrick Robinson is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 10 pass break ups. I really think he is a star in the making. Keep it up!

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 0 cat 0 yds 0 TD
S Rafael Bush 0 tak 0 INT 0 PD 0 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: