Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Activate Mike Neal, Cut Phillip Merling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we have guys that we get by without? I am asking because shouldn't we get Neal back as soon as possible and get him practicing again, so he can be ready to go sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a roster exemption this week. Next week we need to cut someone. Probably Merling IMO. If we need a DL him or Muir will still be around to call should someone go down.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
We have a roster exemption this week. Next week we need to cut someone. Probably Merling IMO. If we need a DL him or Muir will still be around to call should someone go down.

Just remember that you are going to pay Merling for a full season either way as a vested veteran. Most GM's do not view cutting vets that made the week1 roster as good business.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Just remember that you are going to pay Merling for a full season either way as a vested veteran. Most GM's do not view cutting vets that made the week1 roster as good business.

although TT already did the same with Muir this year...

who do you think will be the odd man out?
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Muir was on the 53 to start the season?

News to me.
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

News to me.

no but he was still a vested veteran...
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

News to me.

The salary is only guaranteed if he is on the 53 man roster.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

News to me.

Doesnt matter. He would have had to have been on the 53 man roster to start the season for his contract to be fully guaranteed.

Kempes on the custom sig!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
driftwood wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

News to me.

Doesnt matter. He would have had to have been on the 53 man roster to start the season for his contract to be fully guaranteed.

Yupp. Only guaranteed if they start week 1 on the 53. That is why quite a few vets are cut in the final roster cuts and picked up after week 1 games.

After Palmy mentioned that, I have a hard time thinking that TT cuts a vet. Much more likely that he uses temp. IR or cuts a youngster.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
driftwood wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
driftwood wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

News to me.

Yupp. Only guaranteed if they start week 1 on the 53. That is why quite a few vets are cut in the final roster cuts and picked up after week 1 games.

After Palmy mentioned that, I have a hard time thinking that TT cuts a vet. Much more likely that he uses temp. IR or cuts a youngster.

I agree, cutting a guy like Merling essentially works double against your cap because now you have Neal's salary on the books and Merling's salary will still be there.

The two spots I look out now is runningback and inside linebacker. We have 4 running backs on the roster, and a tweener in Kuhn, essentially giving us 5. Benson is obviously the primary back, seeing he gets all/most of the carries every game, there is not real need to keep 3 backups to him, especially since none of the 3 are the third down back, that belongs to Kuhn. I have already mentioned inside linebacker so I won't go into more about that.

On a side note this becomes even harder when Sherrod is ready to return. Now we have more time with him because I believe you can have up to 3 additional weeks to activate or cut the player. If I remember correctly, we did not have to make a decision on Al Harris until week 10, same with Starks a couple of years ago.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one here who actually thinks Merling is a player or what? He's gotten good push on the pocket the few times I've saw him. Could be a solid player down the stretch..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
Am I the only one here who actually thinks Merling is a player or what?
Nope. Me gusta. I think he pretty much brings what Worthy does to the table though and that's not good for him. Once Worthy started to get in the games more you could tell something was happening with Merling
Blank402

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Richardson goes on IR to make room for Neal. I don't think he's practiced all year.
justo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank402 wrote:
I think Richardson goes on IR to make room for Neal. I don't think he's practiced all year.
Sad hope not. I really like Richardson.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be Richardson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: