Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden Comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
If he were a few years younger, he might have been a top ten pick and I imagine he definitely would have been taken before Ryan Tannehill. His age is a concern, but it's blown out of proportion by some. It's quite feasable that he could play until he's in his late 30s. Many quarterbacks do and Weeden hasn't been taking a beating since he was 18-20 like most quarterbacks have. If he can play for 7-10 years at a high level for most of those years, then he's well worth the 22nd overall pick.

Welcome to what everyone who actually likes Weeden has been saying all along. Now if Weeden can keep improving and playing well, he might just convert the suddenly quiet "Weeden haters" ( whom will eventually come out and say they never "disliked the pick at 22", but were "rightfully skeptical")

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
For my stat nerds

http://t.co/RIuiZSoX

Pages again

I have seemed to have passed Bonanza in this skill

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
His successful throws have a near baseball trajectory... the zip on the ball is great.

However throws he needs to put touch on (back shoulder, dropping a ball into the hands over top a safety, even a short dump pass) he seems to suck at... and that worries me.

And some of you still don't see where the DA comparisons stem from.....

Just because both are gun-slingers with strong arms and their jersey number is #3 doesn't mean they're very similar. DA's biggest weaknesses was his inaccuracy and his decision making. Weeden is much more accurate and seems to be a better decision maker.

A gunslinger is somehow who is willing to make passes in tight coverage. Gunslingers are prone to throw more interceptions. To me, gunslinger is just a nice way of saying questionable decision-making without letting a pick/mistake bother him.

I think the DA comparison is fair, but I wouldn't say he can't be better or that he IS Derek Anderson 2.0. Just noting many similarities in their game.

Good DA is probably more realistic than comparing Weeden to Manning

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
His successful throws have a near baseball trajectory... the zip on the ball is great.

However throws he needs to put touch on (back shoulder, dropping a ball into the hands over top a safety, even a short dump pass) he seems to suck at... and that worries me.

Just because both are gun-slingers with strong arms and their jersey number is #3 doesn't mean they're very similar. DA's biggest weaknesses was his inaccuracy and his decision making. Weeden is much more accurate and seems to be a better decision maker.

A gunslinger is somehow who is willing to make passes in tight coverage. Gunslingers are prone to throw more interceptions. To me, gunslinger is just a nice way of saying questionable decision-making without letting a pick/mistake bother him.

I think the DA comparison is fair, but I wouldn't say he can't be better or that he IS Derek Anderson 2.0. Just noting many similarities in their game.

I just don't see how they're that similar. Besides the strong arm and gun-slinging attitude, how are they similar?
DawgX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
DawgX wrote:
If he were a few years younger, he might have been a top ten pick and I imagine he definitely would have been taken before Ryan Tannehill. His age is a concern, but it's blown out of proportion by some. It's quite feasable that he could play until he's in his late 30s. Many quarterbacks do and Weeden hasn't been taking a beating since he was 18-20 like most quarterbacks have. If he can play for 7-10 years at a high level for most of those years, then he's well worth the 22nd overall pick.

Welcome to what everyone who actually likes Weeden has been saying all along. Now if Weeden can keep improving and playing well, he might just convert the suddenly quiet "Weeden haters" ( whom will eventually come out and say they never "disliked the pick at 22", but were "rightfully skeptical")

Oh, I know. I've been a Weeden fan for awhile now. I remember some people saying that many quarterbacks, who are drafted in the first round but after the top 15-20, don't end up being very successful. My response to that is Weeden didn't fall as far as he did due to his talent unlike other quarterbacks who fall past the top 20. Weeden was available due to his age. I truly believe he would have been a top 10-15 pick if he were at least 3-4 years younger.

I know a lot of people think he's going to turn out to be a bust, but I bet that there would be a lot less people thinking he's going to bust if he were a few years younger. I'm not sure why they think that. Maybe because they think he has less room to improve than other rookies since he's already 28? Just because he's older than them doesn't mean he's not a rookie.

I don't know. I just don't get the hate Weeden receives. Many people act like he's been awful this season but they're probably just looking at his overall stats. The first game of the season is causing his stats for the season to look bad; if you were to take away that game, his overall stats would look pretty good. If people would have actually watched him the past few games, then they'd realize that he's been playing well for a rookie. In the Browns vs. Ravens GDT in the NFL General forum, it did seem like some people were admitting that Weeden was better than they thought and that he's improving. Most of the people who say he sucks probably aren't watching him and are just looking at stats.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

I just don't see how they're that similar. Besides the strong arm and gun-slinging attitude, how are they similar?

Both from states that begin with the letter O... (haha)
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

Both come from a school whos initials are OSU (Oregon state vs Oklahoma state)...
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

Both come from a school whos initials are OSU (Oregon state vs Oklahoma state)...

Both are the same age. Born in 83
brownie man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that really has me worried about Weeden is his pocket presence. That is what separates the ok QBs from the Greats. This has gone back to OSU if he cant fix being somewhat comfortable when stressed and still throwing strikes he is not going to be a championship quarterback.
Ether

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:

Lack of mobility and body type. I mean there's quite a few major similarities.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
DawgX wrote:

Sure, but you could say he has a lot of similarities to Joe Flacco too.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Ether wrote:
DawgX wrote:

Sure, but you could say he has a lot of similarities to Joe Flacco too.

I was actually leaning towards that too

PSN: bench515lbs
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:
The only thing that really has me worried about Weeden is his pocket presence. That is what separates the ok QBs from the Greats. This has gone back to OSU if he cant fix being somewhat comfortable when stressed and still throwing strikes he is not going to be a championship quarterback.

I was actually pretty impressed with how he handled the pressure last week. I saw him step up into the pocket, away from pressure and make some nice throws.

"The league has maintained that they will not suspend players for a positive result caused by second-hand smoke in the past:"
DawgX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
brownie man wrote:

I was actually pretty impressed with how he handled the pressure last week. I saw him step up into the pocket, away from pressure and make some nice throws.

Yeah, that's something I think Weeden has improved at from week one until now.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
DawgX wrote:

yes they have a lot oh physical features that are the same but that is where it ends. compare their college stats and you see DA Weeden are night and day different. Weedens College Career passer rating flirts around 70% where DAs flirts around 50%. DA was always known as a questionable decision making QB, Weeden not so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: