Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Eagles fan im going to dive in on this one with my completely biased opinion. In some ways, yes the Cowboys are a joke, in some ways they are not. The entire time ive been and Eagles fan (since 2004) I have never considered them a threat. Yes, you beat us in the playoffs, thats the only time i took you guys seriously. It seems like your team always has a character that draws bad attention towards the team. PacMan Jones, TO, Romos fine ladies, Rob Ryan etc. I cant take you guys seriously with all that garbage. Last year Rob Ryan said his defense was gonna "beat the eagles ---" I honestly laughed, then when it ended up 34-7 i couldnt be happier. I just think you guys need to drop the whole "Americas Team" " Hollywood" mentality. It hasnt been that way since 1996.

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 40 Sacks: 3 FF: 1 Interceptions: 0
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
As an Eagles fan im going to dive in on this one with my completely biased opinion. In some ways, yes the Cowboys are a joke, in some ways they are not. The entire time ive been and Eagles fan (since 2004) I have never considered them a threat. Yes, you beat us in the playoffs, thats the only time i took you guys seriously. It seems like your team always has a character that draws bad attention towards the team. PacMan Jones, TO, Romos fine ladies, Rob Ryan etc. I cant take you guys seriously with all that garbage. Last year Rob Ryan said his defense was gonna "beat the eagles ---" I honestly laughed, then when it ended up 34-7 i couldnt be happier. I just think you guys need to drop the whole "Americas Team" " Hollywood" mentality. It hasnt been that way since 1996.

You my friend don't understand the power of the Star. Your team could go 12-4 and no one would really notice. If the Cowboys go 12-4, the ratings go through the roof...closet fans come out of the woodwork. No team has the national fan base that the Cowboys have. Should it be that way, probably not, but that's just the way it is.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cowboys are a joke. Beating a dead horse alert time. On the pregame show, Mike Ditka quoted Jim Finks, who some time ago said something to the effect of "Owners own, coaches coach, and players play. If you upset that equation you are going to have trouble."

We have an owner pretending to be a GM. Have had this for some time. One playoff win since 1996. We have a team constructed of 7-10 very good players and an enormous drop in talent between them and the rest of the roster. GM doesn't believe in the trenches. Don't need to say much else.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
The Cowboys are a joke. Beating a dead horse alert time. On the pregame show, Mike Ditka quoted Jim Finks, who some time ago said something to the effect of "Owners own, coaches coach, and players play. If you upset that equation you are going to have trouble."

We have an owner pretending to be a GM. Have had this for some time. One playoff win since 1996. We have a team constructed of 7-10 very good players and an enormous drop in talent between them and the rest of the roster. GM doesn't believe in the trenches. Don't need to say much else.

Why is it that there are MAYBE 5 people on the forum who get this?

Northland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Northland wrote:

Why is it that there are MAYBE 5 people on the forum who get this?

Not to sound crude, but I think a lot of people are thinking with their hearts instead of their heads. It's not the end of the world if your team sucks. I approach each game with zero expectations and they are usually met.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO7. is this article also a "joke?"

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/10/wanna-get-away.html

I think Rafael Vela is fairly well respected by all of us and I'm pretty sure that he had a prom date...

Quote:
Few moments can send the conniption needle into the red like a Jerry Jones ad airing late in a Cowboys blowout. But there he was, hawking caps during the 4th quarter of a Monday Night Football ad break while his Cowboys were being knee-capped by the Bears.

A few commercial breaks after he danced for pizza.

Can you think of a successful GM who cuts ads every year?

Has Ozzie Newsome ever cut a spot?

Has Jerry Reese? Or Ted Thompson? Or Kevin Colbert?

Probably not. They're too busy building their teams into perennial contenders.

Or what about Bob Strum? Heck, he's even married. Certainly not bitter against the world...

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

Quote:
For the most part, that is what I believe. This personnel department, led by Jerry, the man who has brought bras and panties to the art gallery, has continued to sell style over substance when making the big decisions that impact this team on game day.

It is a tired conclusion that was played out a decade ago when Dave Campo's run was reaching its end. But, the decisions that are made in the offseason to get the "wow" guys in here are continuing to keep this organization in a perpetual state of neutral.

Also a joke, right?

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam, have your wife send me your prescription. I will be happy to buy you a new pair of reading glasses.

In no way shape nor form have I ever wanted nor supported a GM doing that. I have no problem, however, with the Owner doing it.

I wish they were not one in the same, but wishing does not make it so - regardless of what all my learned years with Disney has taught me.

And yet still, the downfall of one man is not indicative of the franchise being a joke.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Slam, have your wife send me your prescription. I will be happy to buy you a new pair of reading glasses.

In no way shape nor form have I ever wanted nor supported a GM doing that. I have no problem, however, with the Owner doing it.

I wish they were not one in the same, but wishing does not make it so - regardless of what all my learned years with Disney has taught me.

And yet still, the downfall of one man is not indicative of the franchise being a joke.

Here are the various definitions of "joke."

joke

n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
4. Informal
a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality
b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock

Would you agree that an NFL team whose GM does more commercials than the star QB, promotes victoria secret, and speaks publicly of wanting some glory hole is a ludicrous situation by NFL standards??? Personally, I can't think of another NFL GM that even comes close.

And, do you agree that it's harder for Jerry (and by implication the Cowboys organization) to be taken "taken seriously" as a GM when he publicly raps for commercials, dances with Urkel, promotes victoria secret and does press conferences where he emphatically tells the audience that he wants him sole glory hole???

None of that fits into any definition of "joke?"

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Here are the various definitions of "joke."

joke

n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
4. Slam's sexual stamina (Alliteration for the win!)
5. Informal
a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality
b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock

Would you agree that an NFL team whose GM does more commercials than the star QB, promotes victoria secret, and speaks publicly of wanting some glory hole is a ludicrous situation by NFL standards??? Personally, I can't think of another NFL GM that even comes close.

And, do you agree that it's harder for Jerry (and by implication the Cowboys organization) to be taken "taken seriously" as a GM when he publicly raps for commercials, dances with Urkel, promotes victoria secret and does press conferences where he emphatically tells the audience that he wants him sole glory hole???

None of that fits into any definition of "joke?"

Laughing

Frankly, I enjoyed 4 the best.

Also, I wasn't aware I was back in high school where the opinions of others have any practical application on the team in general.

But if I told you an organization is the most recognized in the world, with the most followers, and the highest grossing revenue with the best history of any other organization - would you venture to label that Org as a joke?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
mco65

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

Not to sound crude, but I think a lot of people are thinking with their hearts instead of their heads. It's not the end of the world if your team sucks. I approach each game with zero expectations and they are usually met.

There is something to be said about this... I remember when I first jumped on the Cowboys band wagon ('75) and they WON probably 90% of the time. Winning was expected and LOOSING cut like a knife.. it was rare and it hurt like hell for a week or more.. eventually the Cowboys got to a point where they were loosing 90% of the time and loosing didn't hurt much at all because I expected them to loose. I found myself not expecting a win but merely hoping for a couple of nice plays from my favorite players..

Of course the team climbed back on top but it was a brief stay even though it rendered 3 more SBs.. well worth it if you ask me.. Currently the Cowboys are in the mediocre area.. which is probably worse than either of the other 2... You know they can play well and beat any team but often don't.

That's probably the most disappointing to me.. when they were on top, i expected a win and was rewarded 90% of the time.. when they were on bottom, i expected nothing and got nothing but now that they are in the middle.. I expect them to play well and HOPE for a win and am often disappointed.. sheesh..
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Northland wrote:

There is something to be said about this... I remember when I first jumped on the Cowboys band wagon ('75) and they WON probably 90% of the time. Winning was expected and LOOSING cut like a knife.. it was rare and it hurt like hell for a week or more.. eventually the Cowboys got to a point where they were loosing 90% of the time and loosing didn't hurt much at all because I expected them to loose. I found myself not expecting a win but merely hoping for a couple of nice plays from my favorite players..

Of course the team climbed back on top but it was a brief stay even though it rendered 3 more SBs.. well worth it if you ask me.. Currently the Cowboys are in the mediocre area.. which is probably worse than either of the other 2... You know they can play well and beat any team but often don't.

That's probably the most disappointing to me.. when they were on top, i expected a win and was rewarded 90% of the time.. when they were on bottom, i expected nothing and got nothing but now that they are in the middle.. I expect them to play well and HOPE for a win and am often disappointed.. sheesh..

Good post.

Another thing that bothers me about the Cowboys teams over the past 5-6 years is the lack of effort and competitiveness. When this team gets down by a few scores, they often sulk and seem to give up. There isn't a sense of urgency or anger that permeates the team when it's struggling. Instead, they tend to create more mistakes. There are some guys who play hard for the full 60 minutes (Witten in particular and Romo on occasion), but often the rest of the team throws in the towel.

The Boys of the 1980s and the SB teams of the 1990s - even before the SB run - never gave up. They always battled for 60 minutes.

Another issue is toughness. These recent teams are soft. The offence, in particular, is extremely soft ever since Garrett was named the offensive coordinator. This year is worse than past years. Through the first 4 games, the Boys have been physically dominated in three of them and they lost two. The offence has no toughness whatsoever. Now compare that to the Boys teams of the 1990s, and that offence was tough and always fought back. If the opponents punched them in the gut, they would return the favour. From Aikman to Emmit to Moose to Irvin to Novacek to the entire OL - that offence was mean and tough.

On this year's team, who can you say is tough? Witten, Romo to an extent, Murray to an extent. Anyone else? Not really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
On this year's team, who can you say is tough? Witten, Romo to an extent, Murray to an extent. Anyone else? Not really.

Are talking about just offense here? If so, okay...I might add in Vickers. If you mean the entire team, however, I think I'd add in Lee, Mo seems to be a fighter as does Brandon Carr. Can't forget about Ware either.

^^^Deadpulse
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

Are talking about just offense here? If so, okay...I might add in Vickers. If you mean the entire team, however, I think I'd add in Lee, Mo seems to be a fighter as does Brandon Carr. Can't forget about Ware either.

I'd include Dez into the discussion as well.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I'd include Dez into the discussion as well.

Yeah...he definitely doesn't seem to give up. If he could just catch the ball though, that would help...

^^^Deadpulse
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just speaking about the offence. Not sure if Dez is quite there yet, as he does tend to sulk a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: