Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Safety corp remains thin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't get what people have seen from blanton to think he should get significant playing time. Hasn't he been hurt since camp and barely played in preseason.. is it just because sanford is so bad that you are want anyone else out there. If thats the case.. I think id prefer they just roll with 3 corners and 1 safety in there base package.. you'd think winfield would offer more to the team in that safety/corner role than sanford would. Especially against pass happy Detroit..
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
I guess I don't get what people have seen from blanton to think he should get significant playing time. Hasn't he been hurt since camp and barely played in preseason.. is it just because sanford is so bad that you are want anyone else out there. If thats the case.. I think id prefer they just roll with 3 corners and 1 safety in there base package.. you'd think winfield would offer more to the team in that safety/corner role than sanford would. Especially against pass happy Detroit..

Basically, we know what we have in Sanford and Sendejo seems like just another special teams player. You dont know what you have until you put them on the field, that would be my rational for Blanton.
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Captain Viking wrote:

Basically, we know what we have in Sanford and Sendejo seems like just another special teams player. You dont know what you have until you put them on the field, that would be my rational for Blanton.
I guess I would hate to see him get out there and then be out of position on a couple of bombs to Calvin.Johnson.. but then again that's probably going to happen to sanford .. makes sense I guess.. though I hate the idea of desperation and hope vs. a division rival
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Captain Viking wrote:

I guess I would hate to see him get out there and then be out of position on a couple of bombs to Calvin.Johnson.. but then again that's probably going to happen to sanford .. makes sense I guess.. though I hate the idea of desperation and hope vs. a division rival

I would actually like to see AJ Jefferson get some looks at Safety, get him on the field, maybe in nickel/dime and let Sanford be the base safety.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of agree that we dont know what we have in blanton yet.

I would prefer we go with heavy blitz packages, with Cook on Clavin.

Cook
Windfield
Robinson
Smith
Sanford
AJ Jefferson

Force them to throw it early

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did we sign Tackle Zero then (Tyrell Johnson?)

ugh. he's terrible too!

whatever. Its not like we are going to shut down the Lions passing attack anyways. Hopefully we can just force them into mistakes and Stafford won't be able to target Sanford/Johnson all day long.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his first start since last season, Jamarca Sanford rebounded from an awful beginning to play a significant role in the Vikings' 20-13 upset of the Lions at Ford Field on Sunday. From his three passes defensed, to forcing his second fumble in two weeks, to recovering that fumble, to his five solo tackles, to his role in Lions receiver Calvin Johnson catching only five of the 12 balls thrown his way, Sanford exceeded all expectations. He also teamed with rookie Harrison Smith -- who also had three passes defensed -- to give the Vikings some of the best safety play they've had in years.

Sanford: "You just got to keep hitting a guy over and over and over, and they're going to get those alligator arms. I couldn't imagine being a receiver and coming across the middle and getting hit as hard as we were hitting Calvin and those guys. Calvin took a beating today. You lick your chops because it's the open field so you think to yourself, 'It's me and him.'" You got to make the play. You just got to take your shot and try to blow him up."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172026411.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
french t0ast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ProFootballFocus, Harrison Smith has allowed zero yards, two passes defensed and zero missed tackles. (In the Detroit game)

Last edited by french t0ast on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

french t0ast wrote:
According to ProFootballFocus, Harrison Smith has allowed zero yards, two passes defensed and zero missed tackles.

Missed one on special teams, but I doubt they are counting those for defensive missed tackles.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
In his first start since last season, Jamarca Sanford rebounded from an awful beginning to play a significant role in the Vikings' 20-13 upset of the Lions at Ford Field on Sunday. From his three passes defensed, to forcing his second fumble in two weeks, to recovering that fumble, to his five solo tackles, to his role in Lions receiver Calvin Johnson catching only five of the 12 balls thrown his way, Sanford exceeded all expectations. He also teamed with rookie Harrison Smith -- who also had three passes defensed -- to give the Vikings some of the best safety play they've had in years.

Sanford: "You just got to keep hitting a guy over and over and over, and they're going to get those alligator arms. I couldn't imagine being a receiver and coming across the middle and getting hit as hard as we were hitting Calvin and those guys. Calvin took a beating today. You lick your chops because it's the open field so you think to yourself, 'It's me and him.'" You got to make the play. You just got to take your shot and try to blow him up."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172026411.html?refer=y

Love that mentality from my safeties!
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge advocate of using a "fight fire with fire" approach against the league's more intimidating WRs. Playing too far off them can simultaneously weaken your CBs' collective resolve (because it can lead them to believe you don't have confidence in their abilities up-close, even if it may not be true) and strengthen the oppositions' (because of the respect they are being given), I believe. I think you have to show the toughest WRs that they do not strike fear in you, and that if they are going to have a big game, it will not come without nicks and bruises.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Blanton, like Smith a rookie from Notre Dame, filled in alongside Jamarca Sanford, who himself is subbing in for the injured Mistral Raymond.

Sanford: "Everybody been waiting on it to see Blanch get in. He plays with energy, enthusiasm. He's an exciting guy. It was good to see a young guy step in and play like he played yesterday."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/173224001.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanford comes off as a bit of a leader in that Safety group, form the quotes I have read from him. Im glad he is on this team, he has really come a long way and obviously forced into starting roles due to interior talent in years past. He gets a lot of criticism but Sanford is probably the teams most improved starter considering how bad he was last year.
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how you guys think Sanford has been playing. Outside the PI on Calvin Johnson, I haven't noticed him make many mistakes or mental errors at all.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing i notice about Sanford is that he always seems to be close to loose balls on the field.

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: