Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Screw the "moral victory" crap!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the term rebuilding has been thrown out there is past seasons....this is the first time the Dolphins have truly decided to rebuild. I know many fans have lost their patience waiting for this team to become a contender, but 15 years of band aid fixes and mortgaging the future to bring in that "last piece" can do that to the psyche of the fan base. For year we thought the Phins were much closer to a title run then they actually were. They never prepared for Marino's retirement and the team has been paying the price since.

Finally, it looks like the Phins are truly rebuilding/retooling for the long haul. Drafting a QB to build around, avoiding bringing is expensive free agents just to give the fans false hope, cutting players who do not fit the scheme of the direction of the team and stock piling draft picks shows that (at least for the time being) this team is trying to build the right way. Getting glimpses of the potential of this team (Tannehill's big day, Hartline being the who dat player of the week, the front 4 dominating, Sean Smith looking like a legit corner) does provide that moral victory and gives the fans at least something to think about....it looks like the team and the powers to be may have an clue as to what they are doing...

I'll take these games....I always root for a win, but I don't expect many...as long as there is improvement each week...I'll be satisfied with that "moral victory"...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13090
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this season started most of us Phin fans knew we were not going to the playoffs this year and if we happened to squeeze in, then it would be a short trip. Was it frustrating to know this is a team that should be 3-1 and instead is 1-3? Absolutely!

But my original expectations are still in place. To be honest, we have exceeded them. Not in the Win column, but in our ability to compete and honestly be the better team in the last couple of games, and in my opinion we are improving more rapidly than I thought we would.

I said at the beginning of the season that Tanehill's progression would be how I gauge my happiness with how the season is going. If he learns and improves as the season goes on and begins to look like he could be the long term answer at QB, then I will be very happy with the season even if we don't win a game! I stand by that and therefore am very happy with how this season is going. Could it be even better? Sure, but this is a young team, with a few gaping holes to fill, that is probably 2 great offseasons from being a complete team.

I'm happy. I wouldn't call anything a moral victory. A loss is a loss. But I'm more and more excited about the future every week.!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOLFAN016


Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 647
Location: Central Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
While the term rebuilding has been thrown out there is past seasons....this is the first time the Dolphins have truly decided to rebuild. I know many fans have lost their patience waiting for this team to become a contender, but 15 years of band aid fixes and mortgaging the future to bring in that "last piece" can do that to the psyche of the fan base. For year we thought the Phins were much closer to a title run then they actually were. They never prepared for Marino's retirement and the team has been paying the price since.

Finally, it looks like the Phins are truly rebuilding/retooling for the long haul. Drafting a QB to build around, avoiding bringing is expensive free agents just to give the fans false hope, cutting players who do not fit the scheme of the direction of the team and stock piling draft picks shows that (at least for the time being) this team is trying to build the right way. Getting glimpses of the potential of this team (Tannehill's big day, Hartline being the who dat player of the week, the front 4 dominating, Sean Smith looking like a legit corner) does provide that moral victory and gives the fans at least something to think about....it looks like the team and the powers to be may have an clue as to what they are doing...

I'll take these games....I always root for a win, but I don't expect many...as long as there is improvement each week...I'll be satisfied with that "moral victory"...


+1 my man. Since you put it like that, I'll take it!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12758
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't use the word "victory" when we lost a game again, but I will use the word "positives". We had lots of positives in the loss and it seems to me that for the first time in a long time, I see growth. Nothing could make me happier than growth.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JCool333


Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 12767
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it like this- the Jets lost 34-0, proving that they cannot rebound from the Revis injury, lost Holmes for a few weeks, and showed that they are not much to worry about. That's a bad loss.

We at least showed that we are a good football team that just needs some fine-tuning. Anyone who expected a 3-1 start is foolish, but the fact that we were close to it is very promising. Even if we are 1-3, I didn't really expect much better; I just hoped for it to be a promising start, which it has been. i can't complain. I think Philbin has done a fantastic job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5973
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't use the word "victory" when we lost a game again, but I will use the word "positives". We had lots of positives in the loss and it seems to me that for the first time in a long time, I see growth. Nothing could make me happier than growth.


Yes Merc, positives. Here are the greatest positives from the first four weeks in order of their predominance:

1) Run defense - we are as good as anyone at stopping the run
2) Run offense - without a big time passing game to open things up we manage to average well over 100 yards per game in rushing. Our o-line hasn't been the complete dumpster fire I expected.
3) rookie QB - let's not annoint Tannehill as Marino part deux just yet. But thusfar he's looked as good as any rookie QB this season in terms of his mental accuity. He's not making nearly the number of mistakes most rookies make. He's made substantial improvement since week one.
4) Bess/Hartline - sure they aren't game breakers, but if we really do snag a legit #1 these two will be tremendous supporting WRs. They are both amazingly reliable.
5) special teams coverage - this has been an area of weakness for years. It appears we finally have figured out how to prevent the weekly 50 yard kick off / punt return.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12758
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:


Yes Merc, positives. Here are the greatest positives from the first four weeks in order of their predominance:

1) Run defense - we are as good as anyone at stopping the run
2) Run offense - without a big time passing game to open things up we manage to average well over 100 yards per game in rushing. Our o-line hasn't been the complete dumpster fire I expected.
3) rookie QB - let's not annoint Tannehill as Marino part deux just yet. But thusfar he's looked as good as any rookie QB this season in terms of his mental accuity. He's not making nearly the number of mistakes most rookies make. He's made substantial improvement since week one.
4) Bess/Hartline - sure they aren't game breakers, but if we really do snag a legit #1 these two will be tremendous supporting WRs. They are both amazingly reliable.
5) special teams coverage - this has been an area of weakness for years. It appears we finally have figured out how to prevent the weekly 50 yard kick off / punt return.


I agree with you about the Run defense and the rushing offense (although it doesn't look nearly as good with Bush out of the lineup), and I love the improvement in special teams as well. I don't think Tannehill has looked as good as any of the rookie QB's, afterall he does have 6 picks to 2 TDs, and I think he has a HUGE advantage in knowing the system when he came in, but I do love what I've seen so far. He seems to be able to make all the throws and his growing pains are understandable based on his lack of experience at the position. As for Bess and Hartline, I still think we need 2 WR's before we will be a legitimate high octane offense. Bess and Hartline are good but not great. Hartline surprised me yesterday by his overall production but he still isn't a gamebreaker. What they have shown is reliable hands and nice route running. That certainly counts, but we need more to be a playoff contender, IMHO. Baby steps, baby steps. I'll definitely take them and be happy.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6725
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man oh man where do I start ...???

First off, I predicted 4 - 6 wins & now I'm tempering that down to 3 wins.

You know what 2012 is like Rehab ... yep Rehab.

* the best thing that coulda happend
* best long term solution for a quality team that will last

* Now is the time to loose & make dopey mistakes
* Now is the time for others to exploit a rookie HC & QB
* Now is the time time to put an end to the "Win Now" by any means necessary merry go round that is code for
"hey look a short cut"

* We've made a commitment at HC - QB & Modern Age Offense ... there is NO TURNING BACK !!!

Think it's crazy .... all you have to do is take a long hard look at Sporano & his Offense.
Take a look at the Tebow acquisition & the purging of Kellen Clemens !!!
They have no options & no excuse going into their 3rd or 4th yr. (whatever???)

Mia has no where to go but up.
The West Coast Offense will take 2 - 3 yrs to fully implement with about 85 -90% of the players required.
That my friends is about the the right amount of time Tanney will require to assert himself in this Offense amongst the rest of the competition.

Get used to it, and the part I absolutely LOVE the best is .... there is NO TURNING BACK NOW !!! Laughing

Finally I have a solid plan in a modern day offense to gage real progress.

Bring on 3 - 13, that's what I call a full recovery of BS - short cuts & yesterdays mind set.

Get it all out now.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fender


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 904
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what the few weeks of the season have proved a couple of things:

1 - Philbin might be best thing to happen to Miami in quite some time.
2 - Rebuilding does no necessitate destruction or scorched earth nor does it require losing big. The notion that we must first lose big before we can win is absurd.

We could very well be 3-1 right now if we hadnt lost our #1 WR and our #1 CB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I think what the few weeks of the season have proved a couple of things:

1 - Philbin might be best thing to happen to Miami in quite some time.
2 - Rebuilding does no necessitate destruction or scorched earth nor does it require losing big. The notion that we must first lose big before we can win is absurd.

We could very well be 3-1 right now if we hadnt lost our #1 WR and our #1 CB.


We would be three and one if Carpenter was little more clutch...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5973
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I think what the few weeks of the season have proved a couple of things:

1 - Philbin might be best thing to happen to Miami in quite some time.
2 - Rebuilding does no necessitate destruction or scorched earth nor does it require losing big. The notion that we must first lose big before we can win is absurd.

We could very well be 3-1 right now if we hadnt lost our #1 WR and our #1 CB.
Fender, I agree with you in the sense that 1 or 2 win seasons are not required at all to accumulate Super Bowl calibre talent.

But I woud point out that it IS important to play to your talent level, however bad that is, at the beginning of a rebuild. What I'm trying to say is that a genuine rebuild avoids short cuts. Don't go for short term gains in talent through free agency and trading picks for veterans. Take your lumps and draft the best talent you can during the time that wins are in short supply. As the team becomes playoff calibre, then you fill the few remaining holes with some free agents and trades.

Parcells had us taking shortcuts out of the gates and it was the wrong approach.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6725
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I just love the 180 degree difference between our new HC/Off & the previous Bafoon !

I absolutely love watching Tanney get better every wk.
Not saying Tanney is the 2nd coming of # 13 or anything but it's quite clear to me that Hennes talent is a
"skid mark" in Tanney's shorts in comparison.

Kid is fearless in the pocket & he ain't scared to blaze that ball down the field not to mention he is/will be
very good throwing on the run.

Wait till he gets his 1st yr under his belt.

Man I couldn't be happier than what I am seeing in 2012.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12758
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Man I just love the 180 degree difference between our new HC/Off & the previous Bafoon !

I absolutely love watching Tanney get better every wk.
Not saying Tanney is the 2nd coming of # 13 or anything but it's quite clear to me that Hennes talent is a
"skid mark" in Tanney's shorts in comparison.

Kid is fearless in the pocket & he ain't scared to blaze that ball down the field not to mention he is/will be
very good throwing on the run.

Wait till he gets his 1st yr under his belt.

Man I couldn't be happier than what I am seeing in 2012.

sug


I would just remind you that Sparano and Parcells won the AFC east for the Dolphins the year after we had 1 win. THEY looked like geniuses compared to the bafoon before them.

I need to see us win a playoff game before I believe I believe its a 180. Especially when we are 1-3. I'd also be happy with a winning season, but Sparano, Ireland and Parcells got us some of those. The Playoffs and a win tell me the new regime is cooking with gas and knows exactly what they are doing. I like the growth, I'm just sayin' its a bit early, from where I sit, to call it a 180 degree turnaround.


As for Tannehill, I also love what I've seen. He got a very accurate cannon, he clearly has an strong, strong drive/desire to win and get better. Most importantly, he just passes the eye test. He looks like a young gunslinger. Give him weapons and time to grow and I feel good about what could happen. Very good. So we definitely agree on Tanny and I share your excitement about his future.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6725
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Man I just love the 180 degree difference between our new HC/Off & the previous Bafoon !

I absolutely love watching Tanney get better every wk.
Not saying Tanney is the 2nd coming of # 13 or anything but it's quite clear to me that Hennes talent is a
"skid mark" in Tanney's shorts in comparison.

Kid is fearless in the pocket & he ain't scared to blaze that ball down the field not to mention he is/will be
very good throwing on the run.

Wait till he gets his 1st yr under his belt.

Man I couldn't be happier than what I am seeing in 2012.

sug


I would just remind you that Sparano and Parcells won the AFC east for the Dolphins the year after we had 1 win. THEY looked like geniuses compared to the bafoon before them.

I need to see us win a playoff game before I believe I believe its a 180. Especially when we are 1-3. I'd also be happy with a winning season, but Sparano, Ireland and Parcells got us some of those. The Playoffs and a win tell me the new regime is cooking with gas and knows exactly what they are doing. I like the growth, I'm just sayin' its a bit early, from where I sit, to call it a 180 degree turnaround.


As for Tannehill, I also love what I've seen. He got a very accurate cannon, he clearly has an strong, strong drive/desire to win and get better. Most importantly, he just passes the eye test. He looks like a young gunslinger. Give him weapons and time to grow and I feel good about what could happen. Very good. So we definitely agree on Tanny and I share your excitement about his future.


I would simply reply to that the last time we went to the Playoffs was the yr we had a QB that was
passing the ball off the charts. (Pennington 3,000 yds)
I always new that with Pennington we were on borrowed time & after we were forced to play
Henne I felt like the regime had screwed up the most imp position on the franchise.

Our new HC was a major contributor/component on an Off that was QB driven/elite not to mention the
fact he's coached/coord 1 HOF QB & another strong case for a HOF in Aaron Rodgers.

All I'm saying is after seeing all of that in conjunction with the commitment of drafting of
Tanneyhill & what resembles a more modern Off I feel a whole hell of a lot better about the
next 4 yrs than I have the past 12 yrs.

On top of all of that I feel pretty damn good about having M. Moore as our #2.
The transition of the Deff appears to be a positive one.

Our salary cap appears to be back on track.
We have 5 draft pks in rnds 1 - 3.

Whats not to like about 2 strong outings with a rookie HC/QB & taking a good Deff (nyjerks) & a
strong Deff (Ari) into OT by gm #4 ...?

I like what I see in this regime & Mia over the next 3 yrs.
I can't recall the last time I have ever been this optimistic about my teams future.

This way more than any cliche' like "Moral Victory" I see substantial improvement in the philosophy &
direction of the team & franchise.

As a Dolphin fan since 72 I have been forced to be patient, I just know this is gonna be a fun ride.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group