Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Maclin still our best pure receiver?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8763
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
but please tell me who you would trade avant for that is not a number one or two wr....thats what i want to know...whos so much better?


Anyone with future upside? Avant is a good 4/5 IMO but not someone that should be in a starting line-up. I still believe that WR is a place of need after this season especially since McNutt didn't pan out.


thats just silly. getting a guy with possible upside, which i dont know any 3rd string or lower that have any real upside. and i wouldnt want to replace avant who is extremely reliable wr for one that might have some upside. i also would like names. i would love a wr that has a high upside for avant, i just cant think of any 3rd wrs that do. im sure there might a handful but no more then that.


Randall Cobb over Donald Driver in Green Bay
Emmanuel Sanders over Jerrico Cotchery in Pittsburgh
Rueben Randle over Domenick Hixon in NY
Leonard Hankerson over Santana Moss in Washington
Alshon Jeffery over Earl Bennett in Chicago
Michael Floyd over Early Doucet in Arizona
Doug Baldwin over Braylon Edwards in Seattle

...enough name examples?


im sorry i dont understand the player over player? would you trade avant for both of those players?


I'm stating that these teams have a younger high upside player as their 3rd WR instead of the aging talent with little to no upside. Our current example would be Damaris Johnson over Jason Avant in Philadelphia but I don't have any faith in DJ's upside as a potential #1 or #2 WR unlike the examples I posted above.

I'm not sure where trading came in but yes, I would trade Avant for any one of the bolded players in the above examples in the blink of an eye.


trading avant is what i said. what players would you trade straight up for avant that plays 3rd or lower. i know that teams go for young talent instead of aging players. but we have no one to replace avant that can play the slot.

but i would only take floyd over avant. but of course floyd was drafted to be a number 2 and went in the first round this year. so hes more a of a third because of his in experience. doug baldwin i might trade because he had a good year last year...but hes there 4 or 5th wr on there depth chart, not sure if he plays a lot or not dont watch there games, so if he went from that to being low on the depth chart there might be a reason.

the rest i could take it or leave it. there not really a improvement over avant or have a lot of upside.
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 16067
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Randall Cobb over Donald Driver in Green Bay
Emmanuel Sanders over Jerrico Cotchery in Pittsburgh
Rueben Randle over Domenick Hixon in NY
Leonard Hankerson over Santana Moss in Washington
Alshon Jeffery over Earl Bennett in Chicago
Michael Floyd over Early Doucet in Arizona
Doug Baldwin over Braylon Edwards in Seattle

...enough name examples?


im sorry i dont understand the player over player? would you trade avant for both of those players?


I'm stating that these teams have a younger high upside player as their 3rd WR instead of the aging talent with little to no upside. Our current example would be Damaris Johnson over Jason Avant in Philadelphia but I don't have any faith in DJ's upside as a potential #1 or #2 WR unlike the examples I posted above.

I'm not sure where trading came in but yes, I would trade Avant for any one of the bolded players in the above examples in the blink of an eye.


trading avant is what i said. what players would you trade straight up for avant that plays 3rd or lower. i know that teams go for young talent instead of aging players. but we have no one to replace avant that can play the slot.

but i would only take floyd over avant. but of course floyd was drafted to be a number 2 and went in the first round this year. so hes more a of a third because of his in experience. doug baldwin i might trade because he had a good year last year...but hes there 4 or 5th wr on there depth chart, not sure if he plays a lot or not dont watch there games, so if he went from that to being low on the depth chart there might be a reason.

the rest i could take it or leave it. there not really a improvement over avant or have a lot of upside.


Floyd is the only one of those players you would take over Avant? Really?

...either way they have more upside than Avant so in essence its an improvement correct? Even if they = Avant at this point the fact that they are all still <25 and have room to improve and Avant is ~30 and is what he is.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8763
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Randall Cobb over Donald Driver in Green Bay
Emmanuel Sanders over Jerrico Cotchery in Pittsburgh
Rueben Randle over Domenick Hixon in NY
Leonard Hankerson over Santana Moss in Washington
Alshon Jeffery over Earl Bennett in Chicago
Michael Floyd over Early Doucet in Arizona
Doug Baldwin over Braylon Edwards in Seattle

...enough name examples?


im sorry i dont understand the player over player? would you trade avant for both of those players?


I'm stating that these teams have a younger high upside player as their 3rd WR instead of the aging talent with little to no upside. Our current example would be Damaris Johnson over Jason Avant in Philadelphia but I don't have any faith in DJ's upside as a potential #1 or #2 WR unlike the examples I posted above.

I'm not sure where trading came in but yes, I would trade Avant for any one of the bolded players in the above examples in the blink of an eye.


trading avant is what i said. what players would you trade straight up for avant that plays 3rd or lower. i know that teams go for young talent instead of aging players. but we have no one to replace avant that can play the slot.

but i would only take floyd over avant. but of course floyd was drafted to be a number 2 and went in the first round this year. so hes more a of a third because of his in experience. doug baldwin i might trade because he had a good year last year...but hes there 4 or 5th wr on there depth chart, not sure if he plays a lot or not dont watch there games, so if he went from that to being low on the depth chart there might be a reason.

the rest i could take it or leave it. there not really a improvement over avant or have a lot of upside.


Floyd is the only one of those players you would take over Avant? Really?

...either way they have more upside than Avant so in essence its an improvement correct? Even if they = Avant at this point the fact that they are all still <25 and have room to improve and Avant is ~30 and is what he is.


upside isnt a improvement. its a possible improvement. but i wouldnt be super opposed to them i just dont want to trade for a player that might not fit and doesnt take over the role that avant has. i wouldnt say it would be a bad trade for those players i just think it would make a whole to fill or they wouldnt replace what he does.

trading gets a little iffy when you factor in age though. but i dont think theres a lot of players that have higher production as the third wr then avant.
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Jones is greater than Jason Avant...

Many teams have 3rd receivers starting for them. Jason Avant is really more like a 5th receiver. Laurent Rpbinson was Dallas' 3rd receiver last year with 11 TDs, then he signed a contract to be a starter... Avant isn't really the 3rd receiver. He doesn't start when Maclin or Desean gets hurt, the undrafted rookie free agent started....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8763
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
James Jones is greater than Jason Avant...

Many teams have 3rd receivers starting for them. Jason Avant is really more like a 5th receiver. Laurent Rpbinson was Dallas' 3rd receiver last year with 11 TDs, then he signed a contract to be a starter... Avant isn't really the 3rd receiver. He doesn't start when Maclin or Desean gets hurt, the undrafted rookie free agent started....


ahhh so your complaining about our "3rd" that really has a role of a 5th wr? makes sense.
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainbowCarebear


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 34612
Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avant in Maclin thread. Makes sense.
_________________

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25177
Location: South Jeezy fo sheezy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
James Jones is greater than Jason Avant...

Many teams have 3rd receivers starting for them. Jason Avant is really more like a 5th receiver. Laurent Rpbinson was Dallas' 3rd receiver last year with 11 TDs, then he signed a contract to be a starter... Avant isn't really the 3rd receiver. He doesn't start when Maclin or Desean gets hurt, the undrafted rookie free agent started....


And Laurent Robinson has done absolutely nothing on Jacksonville.

James Jones has inconsistent hands, I would never want him to be our slot guy that we need over the middle or someone that you have to depend on for a limited number of snaps a game. Green Bay just runs a ton of spread an 5 Wide looks that get him on the field a bunch.

Honestly, the list of 3rd WRs in the NFL isn't all that impressive. A lot of those guys Hockey listed are not improvements to Jason Avant right now. Sure they might have some upside, but we don't need another project WR.
_________________
johndeere1707 wrote:

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
someone that you have we need over the middle or someone that you have to depend on for a limited number of snaps a game.


Who says that he will be playing a limited number of snaps? The Eagles would then favor a 3 wide receiver set which they desire to do but can't so they alternate between Clay Harbor, Stanley Havili, and Jason Avant. If James Jones were on this team Clay Harbor and Havili would just be special teams players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 32793
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Avant doesn't offer the team anything. He really shouldnt be in the nfl.
_________________

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8763
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Jason Avant doesn't offer the team anything. He really shouldnt be in the nfl.


.....i dont even know what to say. im going to have to say that this is the most absurd thing ive heard someone say about football.
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rock_#5


Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 5585
Location: Chicago-Go Bulls!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avant is a good slot receiver, and Maclin is our best pure WR. Jackson is a beast too, I like what I see out of Johnson. Cooper has awesome hair.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 16067
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Avant in Maclin thread. Makes sense.


Yea I halfway decided to stop arguing because its Avant talk in the Maclin thread when we already have an Avant thread near the top, either way:

Good debate>forum organization, IMO
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 48341
Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict a good performance by Maclin against the Steelers.

Given he is healthy through this week of practice.
_________________

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 33180
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Difference between being talented and really good.. The one thing i have learned as a fan of the Draft and how the NFL works, its rare guys who get hurt a lot never ever dont get hurt and rarely are so epically talented that they can contribute so much in a handful of single efforts that it warrants there roster spot, its to violent and physical of a game, some humans freakishly can handle it or handle it better then some, other like most humans on the planet just cant.

Maclin is talented but by no means rare or epic, hes vastly overrated when he plays, he will block hard when hes the attacker to a opponent running away from him, but he gets checked and put in his place way to much by tougher more physically stronger defenders, its easy to get him and Jackson out of a game, Celek is the only receiver with a real back bone and he runs like a 4.78 and just sobered up off rum a hour ago in the lobby of the Linc.(our wide receiver core is weaker then bud light on a full stomach).. You dont know what body part of Maclin is going to fall off or where his chin is game to game, and he is not the epic player that when healthy you know will take a over a game, say like a Brian Westbrook who would be questionable to leg fallen off every week then would come in and embarrass the entire field and make every ones jobs easier. You cant bring a Black Lab to a Pitbull fight.


More this...

Maclin is soft and his injury plague is just that a plague. We need better more reliable options.

His skill set is nothing special enough to warrant us keeping onto him thinking hes just going to break out at like 28. He will be hurt all the time and week to week performance wise every year.
_________________

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8763
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
Difference between being talented and really good.. The one thing i have learned as a fan of the Draft and how the NFL works, its rare guys who get hurt a lot never ever dont get hurt and rarely are so epically talented that they can contribute so much in a handful of single efforts that it warrants there roster spot, its to violent and physical of a game, some humans freakishly can handle it or handle it better then some, other like most humans on the planet just cant.

Maclin is talented but by no means rare or epic, hes vastly overrated when he plays, he will block hard when hes the attacker to a opponent running away from him, but he gets checked and put in his place way to much by tougher more physically stronger defenders, its easy to get him and Jackson out of a game, Celek is the only receiver with a real back bone and he runs like a 4.78 and just sobered up off rum a hour ago in the lobby of the Linc.(our wide receiver core is weaker then bud light on a full stomach).. You dont know what body part of Maclin is going to fall off or where his chin is game to game, and he is not the epic player that when healthy you know will take a over a game, say like a Brian Westbrook who would be questionable to leg fallen off every week then would come in and embarrass the entire field and make every ones jobs easier. You cant bring a Black Lab to a Pitbull fight.


More this...

Maclin is soft and his injury plague is just that a plague. We need better more reliable options.

His skill set is nothing special enough to warrant us keeping onto him thinking hes just going to break out at like 28. He will be hurt all the time and week to week performance wise every year.


we need to keep him on because we have nothing to replace him. avant could take his spot and we wouldnt be that far off but i would rather keep him and try to find a replacement because after avant the talent really drops off.


what we really need is a wr guru. i mean andy hasnt drafted a good wr his whole career nor has he signed one out side of TO and that was a short honeymoon.
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group