Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 4: VIKINGS (2-1) at Lions (1-2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMac79 wrote:
I want the Vikings to continue developing into an intimidating, effective defense, but not one that does it through questionable hits and dirty play.

with the coaching philosophy coming from the Dungy Tree, i can't see them ever going over to a dark side.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
JMac79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
JMac79 wrote:
I want the Vikings to continue developing into an intimidating, effective defense, but not one that does it through questionable hits and dirty play.

with the coaching philosophy coming from the Dungy Tree, i can't see them ever going over to a dark side.

I truly hope that's the case, but I think it's something that coaching has to actively enforce and reinforce with it's players. Ultimately, I don't think many coaches (or in particular, any of the Vikings' coaches) would instruct players to hit a ballcarrier or receiver in the head, but the problem more lies with players learning on their own that such techniques can work. The coaching staff can't just make a blanket "don't hit ballcarriers in the helmet" statement and think that they've done their job... they have to take active measures to prevent it from happening, and making sure that the lesson is "don't do this, even if it helps us" when it does happen, and not "I've told you the official position, I'll let the league fine you, and I'm going to look the other way when it works in our favor".

I think there's a good number of coaches in the league that will take that latter position, whether they admit to it or not; I think with the competitive nature of the NFL, "do what it takes to win" can be a stronger motivator than "do what is safe and right". It's just such a slippery slope, one which coaches and players have to be actively aware of and girded against the "just win, baby" and "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" mentalities that can suck a player into making questionable decisions on the playing field within quite literally a step or two.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone else think the Madden Curse is in full effect in Detroit?

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

hmmm... Laughing
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings defense enjoyed a fantastic afternoon against Detroit. The Lions' 13 points matched their lowest scoring output since December 2010. Their rushing attack produced only 55 yards on 20 attempts. And quarterback Matthew Stafford was held without a touchdown pass for just the third time in his career.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172021661.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Vikings defense enjoyed a fantastic afternoon against Detroit. The Lions' 13 points matched their lowest scoring output since December 2010. Their rushing attack produced only 55 yards on 20 attempts. And quarterback Matthew Stafford was held without a touchdown pass for just the third time in his career.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172021661.html?refer=y

Calvin Johnson also didnt have any big plays and was held to under 60 yards.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Calvin Johnson also didnt have any big plays and was held to under 60 yards.

I believe that has everything to do with the Vikings' decision to play heavy press coverage on him. I want to give the coaching staff two thumbs up for that shift in strategy. Many people will tell you that you must play off against physically superior WRs, but the effort from our DBs in this game shows that you can actually be very successful fighting fire with fire. That bump-and-run physicality threw off Johnson's routes, sometimes by a lot and sometimes by a little; either/or, his timing with Stafford was altered, and he struggled throughout the game.

I was very happy to see that strategic shift.

Peppers90 on the sig.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was at least two times where I saw CJ gator-arm a ball, including a drop when he was open.

Harrison Smith and even Jamarca Sanford did their job.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
There was at least two times where I saw CJ gator-arm a ball, including a drop when he was open.

Maybe Sanford isnt as bad in coverage as many let on. Maybe it was truly on the CBs last year and not having a reliable Safety opposite of Sanford. Sanford just has a presence about him, he is very physical and MN really needs that type of player at Safety. Raymond just plays soft, Sanford seems to love sticking his nose in their and its led to two huge forced fumbles.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

hmmm... Laughing

To be fair, we could say that about any of the top 3 guys who could have made the cover lol..
People would say that about Cam right now, and same with Rodgers. Maybe the curse is taking over all 3!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Maybe Sanford isnt as bad in coverage as many let on. Maybe it was truly on the CBs last year and not having a reliable Safety opposite of Sanford. Sanford just has a presence about him, he is very physical and MN really needs that type of player at Safety. Raymond just plays soft, Sanford seems to love sticking his nose in their and its led to two huge forced fumbles.

Noticed the same thing. Well stated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47
Page 47 of 47

Jump to: