Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Rivera in your dog house yet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Is Rivera in your dog house yet? Reply with quote

List of teams Rivera's Panthers have beaten:

Jax (HC is gone now)
Washington
Houston (no Shaub)
Bucs X2 (HC is gone now)
Colts (HC is gone now)
Saints (HC suspended)

Other than Houston, I don't think they've beaten a good team. Yeah, we lost a ton of close games but it's still a loss. This team has fallen apart too many times in crunch time. Playoff teams aren't blowing away their competition every regular season game

If Rivera keeps that trend up for the remainder of the year I don't think he should keep his job.

The key questions:

Is it a lack of talent? Is it coaching? Is it both?

Honestly, I think the team could go 4-12 and still keep him.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mentality. We have the talent to win these games. But aside from the Giants game, we are losing from a lack of tenacity, a lack of awareness in momentum of the game, poor clock management(which is on Rivera).

I think we should have gone for it 4th and 1. I know I'm not a head coach but anyone watching that game knew that if Atlanta got the ball back they were just going to go deep and try an get a BS pass interference call. We can't stop anybody when we need to, just watch literally every 3rd and long this season.

If we convert we show the falcons and league that we can control the game. We would have found a new confidence. We had nothing to lose in going for it in my opinion.

FS is weak though. Next offseason we need draft a 1st pass rusher or FS and address the other in FA.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he is still a young coach of a young team. Everyone has allot of growing to do but being in the doghouse this early is definitely a bit pre mature.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
hudson3010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he is

Besides everything else so far, theres absolutely no excuse for this punt on 4th down

We made a mistake and need to move on from this guy

Theres no good for us firing him during this season, but if at the end of the season we dont see any dramatic improvement from what we have right now, he has to go IMO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an overreaction. We just came out of a game pretty much one play away from beating a top 3 team in the league.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't make an improvement over last year then he's gone. Not just record wise but how the team plays as well. Obviously if the team plays like this the whole season than he won't be in the hot seat. He won't be in a seat at all.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Zithers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. i can't believe we were even in that game to begin with. we were prepared and the team played a hell of a game. only time where i really disagreed with what rivera was doing was the two minute drill to end the half.

thought the punt was fine. he isn't loyal to anyone... joe adams got benched and even beason was losing snaps to phillips... he's built a good DL. with stew in, our run game has been very good. defenses have trouble covering smitty, lafell, and olsen all at the same time. he's gotten an undrafted rookie to become a very solid RT in just one season. we've already seen the rapid improvement in special teams play...

he's still learning, just like most of the players on the team. 20 games is hardly enough time to judge a young head coach taking over the worst team in the league who has been decimated by injuries for two seasons. he almost had his signature win in this one. but haruki nakamura made the play of a lifetime on that 60 yarder.

not worried about him or the rest of the staff to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
This is an overreaction. We just came out of a game pretty much one play away from beating a top 3 team in the league.

A loss is a loss, doesn't matter if it was by 1 point or 35

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

A loss is a loss, doesn't matter if it was by 1 point or 35

For our record, you're right, it doesn't matter. But this isn't really a year about our record. We're not a playoff team, so what we need to see is a team playing better. Close losses like that are much better for us than bad losses (like NYG), even if they count the same.
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivera is a defensive coach so I'm looking at this team from the perspective that he really doesn't have much to do with the offense. He might tell Chud some basics but he doesn't call the plays or work with players individually.

The defense has giving up 27 points per game right now. Yeah, playing Manning, Brees and Ryan will do that to a defense. But they're 25th against the run and not a single team they've played has a top 17 rushing attack. The big plays are still happening too. They're giving up the 3rd most 20+ runs and passes in the league. The only real improvement I've seen is the pass rush. That's probably thanks the new lineman though.

This coming week should be a good test of the run defense with an inexperienced QB. The defense better bring more than just an arm tackle against Lynch.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all about improvement. and 4 games into this season i dont know if we're any better than we were last year. and yes he took over the worst team in the nfl. but so did john fox and in year 2 we went to the superbowl. i dont see that happening this year. now those are lofty expectations but i do expect some improvement and i dont know if its coming

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
it's all about improvement. and 4 games into this season i dont know if we're any better than we were last year. and yes he took over the worst team in the nfl. but so did john fox and in year 2 we went to the superbowl. i dont see that happening this year. now those are lofty expectations but i do expect some improvement and i dont know if its coming

Does any player seem better now than they were last season?

The only one who has shown significant improvement in my eyes in LaFell.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
hudson3010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a team that has potential but is not very solid (like us), those early close games count a LOT

Last year we couldnt finish games that belonged to us, same thing this year

This losses really hurt because the team is not very good like the packers (which can overcome them) and because they affect the team motivation going forward

Had we beat atlanta at their place, we would have made a statement, would be close to them and would be in a very good chance to win the division if we beat atlanta again... Now we are far away from atlanta and less motivated

Remember the year we beat the chargers in san diego at the last second on the first game of the season? That game defined our season

This current panthers team can be a 11-5 team with good coaching, and with the right coach we get the W on the bucs and falcons games, thats why I want rivera out

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:

Hardy looks better, Frank Alexander looks good (rookie though, of course). The DT situation looks better, given we've got 2 old guys taking most of the snaps. Olsen looks great, a slight improvement from last year.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:

Hardy looks better, Frank Alexander looks good (rookie though, of course). The DT situation looks better, given we've got 2 old guys taking most of the snaps. Olsen looks great, a slight improvement from last year.

So of all those listed, one has actually showed significant improvement, one was in college, one was injured all last year, one wasn't on the team and one looks only slightly better than last year, and that's probably more to do with losing Shockey.

Sorry, but that doesn't instill much confidence in me.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: