Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 4: VIKINGS (2-1) at Lions (1-2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
How long was the kick the Walsh missed?

46 yards.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:

46 yards.

had the distance, but went wide.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up this morning & watched SC, they never even showed the highlights.

NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings
MLB: Indians
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Realistically, if you take away the two kick return TDs the Vikings scored all of 6 points on two FG-scoring drives, both set up by long pass interference penalties.

And realistically, if you take away the two kick return TDs, our offensive game plan changes.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
milanb wrote:
Realistically, if you take away the two kick return TDs the Vikings scored all of 6 points on two FG-scoring drives, both set up by long pass interference penalties.

And realistically, if you take away the two kick return TDs, our offensive game plan changes.
'

And realistically, the Vikings still win

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_ALL_DAY_28 wrote:
I woke up this morning & watched SC, they never even showed the highlights.

Why are you complaining? I love being the team no one is talking about.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even without those two return TDs, the Lions offense really showed no ability to put points on the board against the Vikings defense. So even without those special teams points and the lead the Vikings had all game long, maybe things would have been called differently for the Vikings on offense if they were playing with a tied game, or possibly behind. It seems MN got in the safe mode early on with runs to Peterson, hoping the defense would put them in good position. Which they did. Clearly, there is trust in this defense.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to get to a point where they trust the offense also. They clearly did not yesterday. I am curious, why does anyone care how or if the media is talking about the Vikings, isn't it about the games for you?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playcalling is dictated by the situation and score.
Ponder didnt attempt to stretch feild that often as he was largely up by at least 1 score most of the game (2 scores most of the game).

People calling for Precy to be split out wide etc etc, but the that is not practical given the situation. The most practical thing is to run the ball and chew more time off the clock (something they need to actually get better at).

As soon as its 14 point lead (yes, 7 minutues into the 3rd quarter), I would be instructing my guys to stay in bounds any runs and throws.

Lets remember DET played us more closer to the LOS, because the odds were that we were going to not take risks downfield with that lead. We were likely to run and do short passes. As such they covered better in the 3rd-4th quarters.

In the 1st-2nd quarters our playcalling was very good (outside of redzone),when our playmaking was not really predictable when there was no 2 score lead.

In Redzone, I want these plays almost exlusively
a) AP running (J Felton/Harvin/Kyle lead blocking)
b) Fade to the corner to Simpson
c) Kyle over the middle
d) Harvin quick slant to corner/front endzone.
e) Play-action with a throw to a corner
f) Ponder throws it into the stands

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
milanb wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:

46 yards.

had the distance, but went wide.

Thanks! I was looking for it, admittedly not very hard, but couldn't find it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
SodakViking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a pretty win, but I'll take it. Run game looks good. THE OFFENSIVE LINE looks great. Harrison Smith just has a lot of instincts that we have been missing in the secondary, I love seeing him light players up.

Did it seem like the only deep throws we try are always along the sideline? Why not have some roll outs with Percy or Simpson have a cross pattern in the middle of the field? CJ and Burleson seemed to be killing us with those. It's getting to the point where our sweep passes to Percy are getting sniffed out and Musgrave has an opportunity to show us what he has.

Either way, we're 3-1, heading into a game where we will be favored. Hope we don't come out flat, because I could see the Titans being really hungry.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
They need to get to a point where they trust the offense also. They clearly did not yesterday. I am curious, why does anyone care how or if the media is talking about the Vikings, isn't it about the games for you?

I agree, who cares what the media has to say. Not sure why its even a complaint Confused
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to work yesterday at event with several locations so i had to move around a lot. i figured i wouldn't see the game at all, no biggie.

i get to one location and it had a tv, tuned to the MINN/DET game! i looked at it and didn't see a score or anything in the box window, just a closeup of Percy Harvin. then the camera pulls back and DET is kicking off to him. the game's opening kickoff...

so i got to see his TD return, and then a few hours later i got to see the last 3 minutes of the game.

schweet!

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kluwe and Walsh backing Detroit up, the Lions average starting position on Sunday was their own 24-yard line.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=10457449

Webmaster wrote:
JMac79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Linebacker Chad Greenway put a lick on Calvin Johnson, yielding a 15-yard penalty and may bring a fine from the NFL, too.

It happened early in the fourth quarter, when Stafford tried to hit Johnson on a drag route. Greenway said he "tried to" pull up, but replays showed his shoulder connected in Johnson's head/neck area after the ball glanced past.

Greenway: "You feel bad about that. Obviously, I don't want to get a penalty, for starters, to hurt our team. I certainly don't want to get a fine, because my wife will yell at me. And I don't want to hurt Calvin. I don't want to hurt anybody. For me, as a player, I'm thinking, he's going to catch that ball 99 percent of the time. He didn't that time, so when I go up to try to break the ball up, my pad -- it's clear on the tape that it hits his head. What are you going to do? They're going to throw the flag and I'm probably going to be assessed a fine and that's just the way they're going to do it."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Percy_Harvin_Marcus_Sherels_drive_Vikings_special_delivery093012

The Vikings' defense has been pretty physical with receivers, and while in some regards Greenway's hit on CJ was an avoidable, stupid mistake... it seemed to me that also really sent a message to Calvin as well: we don't care if you're 6-5, 235lbs, we're gonna pop you every time you try to catch a ball. And while Stafford didn't do Johnson or the Lions' other receivers many favors with some fairly high placement on his passes, it would be difficult to completely disregard Greenway's hit and the rest of the Vikings' physical play as not helping to give Johnson "alligator arms" through much of the remainder of the game.

I think player safety is crucial, and I don't think Greenway's attitude has ever bordered or crossed the line into malice like some other defenders in the NFL (Brandon Merriweather and James Harrison first come to mind), but I can't discount the impact of that play either. When taken in the context of the way which the Vikings' back 7 have played over the past couple games - particularly guys like Brinkley, Greenway, Smith, and Sanford - it seems like a night and day difference in the way the defense plays the game from what we saw in the 2011 season. Passively "catching" ball carriers in a tackle is going by the wayside, and being replaced by actively attacking the ball carrier or receiver. This increased physicality on defense has worked brilliantly in the past two games, particularly in shutting down one of the NFL's more-explosive passing attacks.

But with Greenway's hit on Johnson as being something emblematic of this type of play, it can be unsettling to the fan who wants the game to be played not only in a physical hard-hitting style, but also in a safer manner than in years past. It's particularly unsettling because I think we caught a glimpse of how unsafe hitting - particularly hitting a player in the head - can be an effective intimidation technique that can pay dividends for the defense in ensuing plays and drives. As I alluded to above, I don't think Greenway intended to hit Johnson in the head; Chad's never been a guy with a track record of borderline or dirty play, and Pete Bercich mentioned on Rosen's Sports Sunday that there's also a good chance that he didn't see Calvin drop the pass and was basically "committed" to hitting him before he could pull away from the hit completely. I just hope that the Vikings continue to exhibit a physical style of play on defense, and don't take the wrong lessons (albeit an arguably effective one) from this Sunday's game - I want the Vikings to continue developing into an intimidating, effective defense, but not one that does it through questionable hits and dirty play.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 46 of 47

Jump to: