Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ramblings, Rants, Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a life long dolphin fan i have always kinda rooted for the lions because of billy sims.. I had a gut feeling the fairly pick wasnt gonna work out hope he proves me wrong
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
As a life long dolphin fan i have always kinda rooted for the lions because of billy sims.. I had a gut feeling the fairly pick wasnt gonna work out hope he proves me wrong

Fairley will be fine. He still shows dominance here and there. The issue is veterans really not stepping up and showing these kids whats up

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ramblings, Rants, Suggestions Reply with quote

1King wrote:
Well I don't think any of us thought we would be 1-3 and would be playing so poorly/inconsistent.

FootballPhreak wrote:
I predict 6-10.

Blame me.

Sometimes it pays to be wrong.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
The issue is noone really not stepping up in any aspect whatsoever

FIFY
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so upset acrossed the board with the Lions. Major failures so far all over the board. Mangement through coaching...

DE's- They suck. No pressure. Average pass rushing. Lions were very smart not to sign Avril to big time money. Lions should be thinking about giving the Avril money to someone like Michael Johnson this next offseason from Cincy.

CB's- Is Chris Houston really it, No one in the draft in either the 1st or 2nd round was good enough to be drafted on this team who can play?

Pettigrew- He isn't a "bad" player. An he's very versitle, but how about we let Tony Schffeller become the main target in our offense. Pettigrew is the drop king and I'm convinced last year he only got so many receptions because of the amount of passes Lions dropped back into. Totally feel Schfeller could of matched those numbers had he been in for the same amount of plays. An, imo, Tony Schfeller is a better receiving optiong and on a team struggling to score I've gotta go with the guy who can hang onto the ball.

Draft- Where the heck are Broyles/Reiff? These guys were BPA and they can't play on Sundays?

Coaches- How many times do we have to kick to a returner an have it returned to realize we need to boot the ball through the endzone. Also why don't we take shots down field with this supposedly high octane offense? Why are we content offensively with taking what they give us? Also when you pay someone like Calvin Johnson that much money, 1 million per game almost, you've made a commitment to get him the ball which our OC obviously hasn't committed to. Seems to be more committed to the run for some reason.

Stafford- He's really looking like the "check down" king this year. Football is about enforcing your will on your opponent, not settling for what the defense gives you. Theres hardly been any shots down field, to Calvin, or anyone else.

Riaola- Unexcuseable snap that cost a football game. Consistent pressure up the middle, false starts. Common, anyone who knows me knows I've not like this player for a LONG TIME and again Riaola weakness rear they're ugly heads. It'd be nice to get a C who can physical match some of the DT's around the league instead of literally being tossed around like a rag doll on plays.

Management- I totally believe in drafting BPA.... at positions of need. Now thats doesn't mean you reach on guys just because you need an OT thats how you end up with Cherilus. You identify you weaknesses, make your board of BPA. An match up the top two or three needs with the top two or three players available at those position needs and see where the players fall on your board. Then draft the highest rated player at a position of need. (Atleast thats how I would do it). We've drafted BPA and these guys aren't even seeing the field. Last year it was Leshoure, Fairley. This year its Broyles, Reiff. Jahvid Best isn't playing... All these early picks, that are in areas of not big concern are catching up with the Lions now. No secondary or depth for that matter, no specail teams quality players. It's really, really hard for me to believe that with our first two picks THIS YEAR or LAST that there wasn't any quality DB available who had a similiar rating to the highest guy rated on the board.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that, right now, the team is totally disjointed. The offense is performing WAY under expectations, the defensive line is not getting any penetration, and the special teams has been nothing short of abysmal.

The problem is, I'm not entirely sure what the Lions can/should do to fix the problems, because if you take away the 28 points they've given up on special teams, they'd be 3-1 right now, with their only loss to the 49ers, who were a lot of peoples' pick for the Super Bowl.

The special teams issue is a clear one, and that has to be shored up. Now. I have no idea where the issue is, but the Lions players aren't anywhere close to tackling these guys, so I doubt it's just one player. If it is, then they need to fix that one player.

On offense, other than the first game, Stafford has been decent, but not great. The receivers are extraordinarily underwhelming. CJ and Pettigrew both dropped touchdowns last week, and drops have been a problem all year long. Titus Young was supposed to have a breakout year this year, but he's been almost completely absent.

The team has no running game. Everyone knows this, but you can't entirely blame the players. LeShoure is a straight-ahead runner that needs strong run-blockers to open holes for him. The Lions' line is not a run-blocking line, though; they are a pass-blocking line. They have been built to protect the quarterback, and overall they do a pretty good job of it (Allen and Griffin both had coverage sacks yesterday after the pocket broke down - I didn't see the other three). Nevertheless, if you can't run for decent yardage, then don't run it. This team shouldn't be trying to run to set up the pass, it should be passing to set up the run. If San Francisco can put 6 guys in the box and still stop their running game, then you have to get creative in how you use it.

The defense is strange. Their performance against Tennessee was terrible, but they actually did the job yesterday against the Vikings. Yeah, Peterson had a good game against them, but who cares about a bunch of 8 yard runs? The defense kept the Vikings' offense out of the endzone, which is exactly what you want it to do. Bentley almost got burned a couple times, and we can count those pass interference penalties as long catches, but the reality is that he had positioning, he just had to turn around and get his hands up. He'll get there. Houston has been great. Tulloch has been good. Levy has been up and down, but hasn't really hurt them.

I think there are two issues with the defense. The first is that they're getting outcoached. The book is out on the line - let them overpenetrate, and beat them with end-arounds, play-actions, and draw plays that get into the heads of the defensive linemen. That's schematic, though, and that's Cunningham's fault. He's hyper-aggressive and teams are starting to use that hyper-aggression against him. He has to adjust, but his schemes are predicated on getting pass-rush and cleaning up with linebackers, so it almost requires a redesign of the whole system. Or a new coach.

The second issue with the defense is that the safeties suck balls. Spievey is an average back-up safety, and you can blame Mayhew for his acquisition, because they just assumed that they could convert him if he didn't work out at corner. Turns out that it's not that easy. They also expected to have Delmas, who - if he's healthy - is a solid safety. But he hasn't been healthy, so they've been reduced to starting Wendling (dear God) and Coleman (ugh). In his defense, Silva seemed to play pretty well yesterday - which helps because the Vikings are not a passing team - but we'll see what happens when a team with a good quarterback looks at the film and game plans for him.

Look, this team is not out of it. They're not a bad team and they've had what amounts to a couple of fluke losses. This is where Schwartz and Co. can show what they're made of, though. The Lions are a quarter of the way through the season and are not going to make the playoffs if they lose more than 3 more games. They have a tough schedule, so it's not going to be easy.

(Imagine where this team would be, though, if they had been able to trade up and get Peterson last year. *sigh* A man can dream, right?)
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the play calling has been bad this yr it seems like were afraid to take a shot down field... Stafford has had a bad few games, Calvin is getting double-triple teamed, that means some1 eles has to step up...our secondary is avg at best. Suh is having a decent bounce back yr but we need more from our DE's
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Teams is an obvious issue, its like nobody wants to play that element and arnt willing to put their body on the line for the cause, nobody wants to step up...

Offense....We relied too much on the big play last year to get us out of trouble, now with more game film defenses have took it away and were getting frustrated into mistakes or continuous checkdowns...

I'm just dissapointed, that the Lions in the off season haven't really improved, we knew the weaknesses as fans, and their still weaknesses now, Broyles and Reiff haven't played, Lions could have taken other players that help the team this season...they may end up being the correct decision, in the long run, but the Lions need help now.

Seems to me were a little lost, whether its lack of work and focus thinking were a 10-6 playoff team we dont have to do the little things collectively, and we just expect to make it back to the post season...

Lions are making too many costly mistakes individually aswell that is keeping drives alive, or killing drives at the minute...

Play calling is an issue, we seem to want to run the ball too much despite having an offensive line that's primarily built to pass block, I remember when we took shots down the field and just let Calvin make the play in double coverage especially toward the end of last season, now its like the Lions are frightened to do it, and hes almost more of a decoy unless its deep in the 3rd quarter.

Wouldn't surprise me if this season ends up a disaster and a 5-11 type season, rebuild better in the off season and hopefully target the areas dragging us down, Secondary and Oline and improvements on Special Teams and we go again in 2013 with a better focus...its almost like the Lions don't know how to handle the expectation of seemingly being a ''Good'' team yet.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine if Go_LiOns was here
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyguy1609 wrote:
the play calling has been bad this yr it seems like were afraid to take a shot down field... Stafford has had a bad few games, Calvin is getting double-triple teamed, that means some1 eles has to step up...our secondary is avg at best. Suh is having a decent bounce back yr but we need more from our DE's

Linehan is stubborn. I wanted him fired last year. This team is built like Gb on offense. They spread it out yet Det tries to be run team first.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't think we're playing poorly at all. I think our STs are playing poorly. I think we've played pretty well otherwise.

Bingo.

Offense been great? No, we're kicking too many FG's, but we are still moving the ball and near the top in passing yards, and dont need any overhaul, just some better execution in the red zone.

Defense? Dline has been inconsistent, but not bad. LB's have been very good IMO. And lost in the hysteria, is how good our secondary played against Minnesota. Yes Bentley had a couple bad plays, but we didnt allow any big plays, and had several coverage sack opportunities, which we have rarely seen with this team.

If we were getting crushed in these games I would perhaps panic, too. But every game has been a one score differential, and that is with the proverbial roof caving in. Not to mention 3 of the teams we have played are good teams, and the other one required an NFL record 100 years in the making to beat us.

I too have my questions about the staff, at times. It does seem like when we do win games, its strictly due to talent, than coaching. But this is the staff we have, and I highly doubt there would be any in-season changes.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The core of our team is still very young. Last year, we won most of the close games. This year, our three loses were close games, and our win was a close game. If not for abysmal special teams play, we'd likely be 3-1 right now, and the panic wouldn't be this... panicky.

There's good news, though: our division is extremely flawed. GB isn't dominant. CHI appears to be mediocre. MIN is beatable. This isn't last year, when GB ran away with things.

There are 12 games left. We played who many thought was the best team in the NFC, and we lost a close game. We played who many thought was the worst team in the NFL, and we won a close game. There will be many of close games left: if we find a way to convert FGs to TDs, and to improve our ST play, we could easily win 8-9 of those games. If not, we'll likely lose 8-9 of those games.

We're not out of it. We just need to execute.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: