Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ramblings, Rants, Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Ramblings, Rants, Suggestions Reply with quote

Well I don't think any of us thought we would be 1-3 and would be playing so poorly/inconsistent. Some of this post may be incoherent, some of it may have been already said/beaten to death, some of it may be new.

Coaching Staff:

Don't like calling for people's heads or calling for someone to lose their job, but ST have been awful. We need a replacement. I don't care if it happens during season or off-season, it needs to be done.

Players:

QB/WR: Not sure what is going on here, but something just seems off. I don't think it is a talent issue at either spot and it could just be a slow start. I'm not overly concerned with it in the long term. I don't really seen any pressing need for personnel changes or massive talent influx. The only need will be when Burleson moves on, Young and Broyles will need to continue to improve and produce and we will then need to get a 4th WR.

TE: Frustrating, not in terms of talent level, but in terms of consistency. Still don't think it is in need of major personnel changes though.

RB: I'm actually okay here. I have come to terms with our offense being pass focused and that we aren't going to have an amazing run game. Both LeShoure and Bell have shown some very good flashes this year. I am perfectly content with letting the season play out and seeing how they both play. They will need to develop some consistency and we should probably have a 3rd RB somewhere in the mix, but I am surprisingly (to me at least) okay with where this position is at right now. May need to revisit my stance later in the season/offseason.

OT: TBD for me. Until I see how Reiff does whenever he plays, I am taking a wait and see approach. We will probably need to add another starting caliber OT at some point in the next few years though (depending on Fox/Cherilus).

OG/C: Needs improvement. This is my biggest concern on offense right now, in the short term and long term. We need personnel improvements here and fast. The biggest offensive draft/FA need.

DL: We have some key free agents coming up. We have to have more consistency here as well. KVB also isn't getting younger. Some tough decisions will be needed in the next year or two. DE is the bigger concern. I wouldn't be opposed to letting Corey Williams, Avril walk and drafting/signing a rotational DT to go with Suh/Fairley/Hill (who we should resign). With the $$$ Avril will command it might be better to use that $$$ elsewhere and find Avril's replacement in the draft (i.e. spend $$$ on a #1 CB, draft a DE).

LB: Needs upgrading. Another frustrating position that shows some flashes, but nowhere near enough. Also some FA issues coming up.

CB: Needs upgrading, but I actually don't think it is as big of an issue as some might. I think we have enough talent and young promise in terms of #2-5 guys at CB. What we need is a #1 CB. A CB unit of #1 CB-Houston-Bentley (who I think could eventually replace Houston as the #2 CB if/when Houston walks)-Greenwood/Green/Lacey. In my eyes, we should target a #1 CB in the draft or FA, if we can't land a true #1 CB (or someone who the FO feels can be that) I think we should use our assets (draft picks/$$$) on making clear upgrades at other positions (S, interior OL, LB) than possible slight upgrades at the depth CB positions, where we have guys with talent that we should work on developing.

S: Needs immediate upgrading. We have 1 NFL caliber S and he is always hurt. No other S should be above a ST only guy and a #5 (or #4) S. This is our biggest need iyam.

Taking into account our players, impending FA, etc. I would rank our needs right now as:

1. S
2. #1 CB
3. OG/C
4. LB
5. DE
6. OT

Having said all that I think we should look into the following to improve our team:

Notable FA decisions:

* If Avril wants too much $$$ let him walk or try to trade him.
* Corey Williams and Lawrence Jackson - same as Avril.
* Re-sign SLH.

Not sure how much cap space we will have, but provided we have enough try and go after one of the following:

CB Dominquie Rodgers-Cromartie
CB Quentin Jammer
CB Antoine Cason
CB Brent Grimes
S William Moore
S Kenny Phillips

Ideally we could sign William Moore.

Also the normal depth signings and such which is too hard to predict, especially given our own FA and what exact depth we will need.

Draft:

I think we will be drafting somewhere between 10-20. Alabama CB Dee Milliner would be my 1st choice as I think he can be a true #1 "shut down" CB. I don't think he will be available though. So:

1. Eric Reid - S - LSU

My top S in the draft right now. Immediate talent upgrade and should help out in pass defense and run defense. Reid and (if we could sign Moore) would immediately turn our worst position group to potentially one of our best.

2nd and 3rd round (2 out of the guys listed, I'd prefer Jenkins and one of the others):

Brandon Jenkins - DE - FSU

Immense pass rushing talent, but broke his foot and is out for the year. May be able to get a medical RS and return to school. If he comes out and drops could be steal of the draft and a perfect replacement for Avril. Broken foot isn't a recurring type of injury such as concussions or ligaments.

Gerald Hodges - OLB - PSU

Solid size, good production, can stop the run, and is solid at rushing the passer and coverage. Could be an upgrade at OLB.

Khaled Holmes - C - USC

Could be the future at C if we pick him. Has an undisclosed injury, but I don't think it is too severe and should return later this season, but his coach at USC (Lane Kiffin) doesn't like talking to media or disclosing any info.

Travis Frederick - OG - Wisconsin

The next in line of big, run-blocking interior lineman from Wisconsin. The Wisconsin OL has struggled a bit this year, but I don't think it has been due to Frederick. Could also possibly play some C.

Jonathan Cooper - OG - North Carolina

Supposed to be one of the top OG prospects, but I haven't watched him yet.

The rest of the draft/UDFA:

Look for upgrades at LB, OL, and depth at DL

------

I know I didn't address getting a #1 CB (or any CB) and that some of you will hate that no matter what, but I truly feel that we should target a #1 CB or none at all. With drastically improved S play and getting the young CB's time to develop I think our CB's would be improved next year and we would have a better idea of what we truly have at the position.

Done for now.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would happy with Eric Reid - FS in the first round but, would rather have DeMarcus Milliner - CB out of Alabama. Draft is weak for potential #1 CB's. If he is gone then fine! Reid

Like your review, IMO, rebuilding the offensive line will cure some of the WR, TE, RB issues given Stafford more time. Replacing Raiola, Peterman, and Cherilus should be priority number one for the offense.

The defense is another story, we will need a DE, DT, OLB x 2, CB, S x 2. Alot of work in one off season. Should re-sign Sammie Hill, Willie Young but will need to replace Avril and Corey Williams. At OLB, Tulloch is fine but, we need to upgrade both Levy and Durant. As you say, we need a number one CB, so DeMarcus Milliner is the only one I see in the draft.

The safeties need a complete overhaul and I would not bring back Louis Delmas.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're playing poorly at all. I think our STs are playing poorly. I think we've played pretty well otherwise.

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't think we're playing poorly at all. I think our STs are playing poorly. I think we've played pretty well otherwise.

I'm not sure what you define as pretty well but our offense has been lackluster and apathetic.

Our defense isn't great but not terrible.

ST is a huge huge problem and something needs to be done there no doubt but we have more concerns than just ST.
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

It's not so much playing poorly, as it is inconsistency. Outside of ST obviously. I wouldn't go as far as to say we have played pretty well though, at least not with any consistency.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't see how anyone can say we played pretty well. We were 37% on 3rd down, and gave up 5 sacks. We averaged 2.8 ypc, and couldn't get the ball into the endzone until under 3 minutes remaining and the Vikes were in prevent.

Adrian Peterson ran right through our overrated interior DL with ease, and our rookie CB was completely outclassed by Simpson. This team is in deep ish, and I don't know if we have what it takes to turn this around. We aren't playing anything close to well, in any aspect of the game.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

It's not so much playing poorly, as it is inconsistency. Outside of ST obviously. I wouldn't go as far as to say we have played pretty well though, at least not with any consistency.

We have played like we are disinterested in the game consistently
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about overall this season, and not just this game (for the record).

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I was talking about overall this season, and not just this game (for the record).

As was I
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Wow, I don't see how anyone can say we played pretty well. We were 37% on 3rd down, and gave up 5 sacks. We averaged 2.8 ypc, and couldn't get the ball into the endzone until under 3 minutes remaining and the Vikes were in prevent.

Adrian Peterson ran right through our overrated interior DL with ease, and our rookie CB was completely outclassed by Simpson. This team is in deep ish, and I don't know if we have what it takes to turn this around. We aren't playing anything close to well, in any aspect of the game.

I agree 100%.

Fans never looked deeper than a 10-6 record and a playoff loss. They forget the Lions started 5-0 and since are 6-10. Somewhere along the line either defensive coordinators figured out this offence or the emotion has disappeared or both.

Everyone has been upset with drafting WR's and RB's and I have to include myself in that group although I do agree with the BPA philosophy. In any event even with all those offensive weapons the Lions can't score touch downs. They lead the league in drops and Stafford is on pace for 12 passing TD's. CJ has 1 TD.

They have had one game where there was some semblance of running attack and beyond that it just hasn't been effective.

On defence we all thought the Dline, especially the interior was a strength of the team. Well I certainly don't see it. I don't see the extra effort or the emotion it takes. At DE Avril had a few nice plays today but still puts himself out of position in pursuit to often. Young and LoJack.....hello, are you there?

I've actually been somewhat pleased with the linebackers. I think Levy has been one of if not the best player on the defence. At least he has shown the ability to tackle which most of his team mates seem to have forgotten how to do.

Again I support the BPA approach but to have had a draft and not have anyone contributing is a serious setback. Combine that with the cap issues which prevented them from finding some secondary players to improve the defensive backfield and its only natural. The team takes a step back.

Now that I'm ranting has anyone seen much of Nick Fairley? I thought he and Suh would be awesome but frankly other than the occasional play they don't seem to be giving anyone serious problems.

Bentley was schooled today. I wonder what happens when he goes up against an elite wide out. Rolling Eyes

So the team is 1-3 and I would bet every Lions fan had them 3-1 prior to the season. Don't look now but there is a real chance this team could only win three more games this season and I'm not at all confident they beat the Seahawks so it may only be two more wins.

So, the end result is that after all the hype it looks like Millen and Marinelli have invaded the locker room and the Lions will once again be picking top 5.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, even though I semi-ranted myself, DHLF's rant made me very sad.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

I'm sad to stylish. I've been waiting 48 years and I finally had some hope. I even thought I tempered my expectations expecting an 8-8 season.

Nope, not tempered enough. The last two weeks have been like getting kicked in the stomach by a horse ( I don't suggest anyone try it. Man it hurts bad).

I've always been a believer you build a team front to back inside out. I watched as Mayhew did almost the opposite except with Suh and Fairley. What's worse I bought into it and actually thought this team was making progress yet when I look at the individuals on the team I just shake my head and want to scream.

The Lions have all these great players like Stafford but they get beat by QB's like Locker, Smith and Ponder. None of them have CJ to throw to either.

So, I'm going back to what I believe in. The Lions need a healthy injection of mean, nasty football players. Not skill players but big, fat, strong, smelly road grading football players. Guys that don't mind a little blood on the jersey.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I'm sad to stylish. I've been waiting 48 years and I finally had some hope. I even thought I tempered my expectations expecting an 8-8 season.

Nope, not tempered enough. The last two weeks have been like getting kicked in the stomach by a horse ( I don't suggest anyone try it. Man it hurts bad).

I've always been a believer you build a team front to back inside out. I watched as Mayhew did almost the opposite except with Suh and Fairley. What's worse I bought into it and actually thought this team was making progress yet when I look at the individuals on the team I just shake my head and want to scream.

The Lions have all these great players like Stafford but they get beat by QB's like Locker, Smith and Ponder. None of them have CJ to throw to either.

So, I'm going back to what I believe in. The Lions need a healthy injection of mean, nasty football players. Not skill players but big, fat, strong, smelly road grading football players. Guys that don't mind a little blood on the jersey.
I agree 100%.

Reiff was a nice start, but we've got several positions along the offensive and defensive line that need to be addressed.

Mark Barron already has more pass defenses than any player on our team.....man a hard hitting ball hawking safety would go a long ways into improving our team as well.

The Lions need to get their priorities reevaluated.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I agree 100%.

Reiff was a nice start, but we've got several positions along the offensive and defensive line that need to be addressed.

Mark Barron already has more pass defenses than any player on our team.....man a hard hitting ball hawking safety would go a long ways into improving our team as well.

As I angrily watched the game for the second time today I wondered how a team with this many weaknesses can have a draft and not find a single player that can make an immediate impact.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I agree 100%.

As I angrily watched the game for the second time today I wondered how a team with this many weaknesses can have a draft and not find a single player that can make an immediate impact.
Harrison Smith and/or Josh Robinson sure would've looked nice in Honolulu Blue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: