Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals- Contender or Pretender?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals- Contender or Pretender? Reply with quote

Many teams have a winning record but these 3 teams arguably qualify as the biggest surprise teams with winning records. Nobody thought Minnesota would beat SF and DET, or ARI going 4-0, and the Bengals were a popular pick to regress from a playoff team. But all 3 teams have a winning record, with the Cardinals undefeated. Are these teams contenders, primed to win a playoff spot, or contenders, destined to fade away?

My take

Cardinals- Contenders. D is for real.

Vikings- Contenders. Harvin and Peterson are dangerous and Ponder has been playing smart, efficient football.

Bengals- ? Not so sure. My gut says Pretenders but i also thought they would really disappoint to start the season and Dalton has really improved so far. But that passing D and CB situation is very shaky. The AFC is also very weak to the point where even if they do fall off, they can still make the playoffs as long as they don't completely regress. So i guess i'll go contenders too, but no so confident in this projection.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None are contenders.

The Cards can make some noise late in the year, but that offense isn't going far at it's current state.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Bengals make the playoffs and have a winning record, last year?

Yes, I think they are contenders.

Last edited by wackywabbit on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
yupyup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to rank them right now I'd go:

1. Arizona
2. Cincy
3. Minnesota

Cardinals look legit even with a terrible QB at the helm. Bengals made the postseason last year and AJ Green is proving he's already elite. I'm not sold on Minny just yet. I'm still waiting to see how Ponder responds when something bad happens, which hasn't really happened yet. If he keeps it up then I think they can push for the postseason, if not, I think they'll fall back a bit.

Aaron Rodgers becomes a top 10 QB again [X]
USC looks like a top 15 team []
Todd Gurley becomes a household name []
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... the Bengals are contenders... they went to the playoffs last year.

The 2012 Vikings are the 2011 Bengals. They are contenders.

The Cardinals are already 4-0 and will be able to contend for a wild card spot if Kolb can find some rhythm.

They are all contenders if you mean for a playoff spot.

Last edited by joru1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lionslicer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

They did not beat a single team with a winning record.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contender doesn't mean going to the playoffs. Contender means you can challenge for a ring. Were the Falcons contenders last year?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the QB play of all three teams. Every other aspect of each team is good enough to carry each team to the playoffs. Can the QBs continue to make plays and avoid mistakes? That's the biggest question.

I like Ponder. Just watching him last year, you could tell he just gets being an NFL QB. He's my favorite of the three. Green Bay isn't the powerhouse they've been the last couple years, Detroit seems to have taken a step back, and Chicago isn't very consistent. At this time, I wouldn't be surprised if Minny competed for the division crown.

Dalton is greatly helped by a top 10 WR in Green. Dalton is no slouch though. He can manage a game and can win a couple too. It helps that Baltimore and Pittsburgh don't seem as dominant as they have been the last few years.

There still seems to be a mess at QB in 'Zona. Their defense is legit and I still think Fitz is the best WR in the NFL. If whoever starts at QB for the Cards can manage games, they'll make the playoffs. This team (surprisingly) has the toughest route to a division win. Seattle, the 9ers, and the Rams can all realistically go 9-7 to 12-4 and win the division.
zacapr22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason as to why we can't be seen as contenders. Dalton and Green have been lighting it up so far and when the defense gets to it's strength, it is top 10. Though our 3 wins were against the Browns, Redskins, and Jags, we have the talent to compete with higher teams. We surely have been looking better than Pittsburgh has so we are in the right track to be 2nd in the AFCN and in wild card position.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bengals beat the Titans last season and they had a winning record iirc. They also beat the Cardinals in the middle of their hot streak (that they're still on, so that was pretty impressive imo).

I think that both the Cardinals and Bengals make the playoffs this season. The Cardinals because of their defense, and the Bengals because of their ridiculously talented offense. Green, Gresham, Hawkins etc. is a really electric group, and Dalton has clearly taken a step forward this season.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacapr22 wrote:
There is no reason as to why we can't be seen as contenders. Dalton and Green have been lighting it up so far and when the defense gets to it's strength, it is top 10. Though our 3 wins were against the Browns, Redskins, and Jags, we have the talent to compete with higher teams. We surely have been looking better than Pittsburgh has so we are in the right track to be 2nd in the AFCN and in wild card position.

You also haven't been missing 2 of your best defenders...And it helps to play the Browns.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

I wanted to include teams that people would doubt, despite their current winning records. I mean, even me personally, i still kind of have a nagging suspicion that a team like the Steelers will end up in 2nd place in the division...even though the results of this short year indicate that the Bengals are better, so far at least.

So i figured if i have a little doubt, i'm sure most will too. And they were a popular pick to regress this year so i'm not sure if most other people are sold on them or not.

Slightly OT but in the AFC, i can see NE, BAL, HOU, and DEN with the division wins. SD and maybe CIN with the wildcards. Maybe MIA, BUF, and PIT knocking on the door.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Contender doesn't mean going to the playoffs. Contender means you can challenge for a ring. Were the Falcons contenders last year?

If that's the case then there are only 5 teams who are legitimate contenders so far. The Texans, Giants, Falcons, 49ers, and Ravens. Maybe the Cowboys depending on tomorrow night.

Those are the only 5 teams I can say are bigger contenders than the Bengals, Vikings and Cards from what we've seen so far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going by chances of making the playoffs:

1. Bengals
2. Cardinals
3. Vikings

Bengals have the best chance simply because they're in the AFC. They only have Pittsburgh and Denver to compete for a WC spot at this point.

Cards have a shot at winning the NFCW. If they don't, it'll be tough getting a playoff spot. MIN, CHI, STL, SEA, SF, and the entire NFCE are potential wild card contenders. Same with MN, although I don't see them beating the packers this year.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the nice little run the Vikings are having but we are nowhere near being contenders. I still don't expect more than 7-9 wins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: