Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Ponder's leadership and swagger is what I love the most when's the last time the Vikings have had such a clear cut leader of the team?

Brett Favre.

Favre was a great leader on the field, but his antics surrounding the actual season (like not showing up to training camp) don't speak in his favor.

He was the old man who didn't really feel like he had to lead by example anymore, because he had done it all before. That's fine, but I'm glad that this time around, with a young team, we have a QB that's willing to invest in this team all-year 'round.

Actually that's more of a misconception than anything else, something that's gained more of a life of its own after 2010 left a bad taste in our mouths.

The reason I say that is because the players themselves spoke very highly of Brett's leadership and captaincy, and his positive effect on the locker room was transformational and a joy to see. There can be no greater endorsement, and it wasn't just teamspeak.

I agree that a young QB investing in his team year-round is something to feel good about. Seeing that kind of dedication is refreshing and heartening.

I don't know how much of a misconception it is. I feel that part of being a leader is that first in/last out mentality, and the guy that leads by example too.

I don't think it's fair to discount the off season will he/won't he antics, or the disrespect to Childress. When things started going poorly for Favre Childress also started losing control of the team.

I also doubt that you would have seen Favre going to grab a new playbook and lead the lock out workouts with teammates.

Favre was great for the Vikings, and I loved watching him, but I don't know that he was everything you looked for in a leader during his stop with the Vikings.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL Network's Willie McGinest discusses Ponder's improvement this year. Ponder segment starts at about 2:25.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Improved Quarterback?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put a ton on Ponder today for his poor day. The right side of the line got manhandled quite a bit this game. I saw Loadholt get pushed back more than that large a man should ever be.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I don't put a ton on Ponder today for his poor day. The right side of the line got manhandled quite a bit this game. I saw Loadholt get pushed back more than that large a man should ever be.

But was he poor?

He simply managed the game. Unlike last week when we needed him to play, we just had him keep the game at hand.

I noticed one really bad pass (Avril should've had a pick 6), and one clutch pass to Simpson in the 4th.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didnt need Ponder to be superman, we just needed him to not throw an INT. When we are ahead by that much I can settle for a less then stellar performance. He threw a perfect pass when we needed him to with Simpson (also a terrific catch), and that's what matters to me.

#TankItTeddy
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say he had some happy feet today after getting the pocket collapsed on him quite a bit.

There were a few times he tried to run or break the the pocket earlier than he should have.
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was just rolling out too much today. He takes a bad angle when rolling out I noticed. You're supposed to attack the line when you throw on the run but he moves backwards. Regardless I think his stats could've been better had those 2 passes to Simpson had not been DPI. Simpson probably would've caught them and that would've been like 80-90 yards worth of stats on those 2 plays right there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
He was just rolling out too much today. He takes a bad angle when rolling out I noticed. You're supposed to attack the line when you throw on the run but he moves backwards. Regardless I think his stats could've been better had those 2 passes to Simpson had not been DPI. Simpson probably would've caught them and that would've been like 80-90 yards worht of stats on those 2 plays right there.

I think Ponder played a decent game, but the portion in bold there is not a smart way to look at the game in general. These "had it not been for" situations occur literally during every play in every game. For instance, you could say, had the Lions CB not been playing Simpson and instead playing the ball, he could have intercepted both of those passes. That would've been 2 INTs' worth of stats on those 2 plays right there.

Not really a wise way to look at things. Ponder played well enough today, but he's got plenty of room for improvement.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder wasnt anything special today, but he didnt have to be. He had a decent, game manager game, didnt turn it over and got the win. Not bad at all
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also can't forget he didn't practice much this week either due to the neck injury. I'm sure it was giving him some problems today and was making him scared of getting hit so he was scrambling more than usual.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take this weeks Ponder in Detroit, versus last year. That is for sure.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"W" PERIOD - I tend to think that's how most QBs get judged in general, and then they get scrutinized in a play-by-play mode.

Ponder gets some credit for not turning the ball over -- however, he didn't really win the game. I am ecstatic he didn't lose it though.

We had threads in here predicting how many wins the Vikes would have this season . . . I think I settled on 7, but hoped for more. At this rate, with beating the 49ers and the Lions on the road, I could see Ponder being rated as a top 15 QB . . . oh, wait, that was somewhere in a thread to. I recall taking a lot o' heat saying Ponder would be a better QB than Brees . . . lol.

It's a long season, and at the quarter-turn, I like what I'm seeing from Ponder. He's doing better than I thought he would.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Ponder gets some credit for not turning the ball over -- however, he didn't really win the game.

No, but he sealed it with that touch pass to Simpson.

Those touch passes are hard to do, and he's put three on the money this year: the Rudolph TD, the one to Gerhart, and today's to Simpson.
disaacs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people will think I'm overreacting (and I clearly am), but I look at Christian Ponder and I see him as a possibly a slightly lesser version of Tom Brady. Neither one has the strongest arm in the world, yet they have high intelligence when it comes to the QB position. Ponder certainly has more mobility than Brady ever had, but I think that's the closest comparison I can come up with.

As far as what could be considered a similar comparison (at least for today) is here is the stat card for Tom Brady in his 13th start:

11-19, 108 yds, 1 TD, 0 Ints in a 20-13 victory over the Dolphins

Here's Ponder's line (his 14th start) from today:

16-26, 111 yds, 0 Tds, 0 Ints in a 20-13 victory over the Lions

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 36 of 100

Jump to: