Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to stop the BPA draft strategy!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fresnolions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Time to stop the BPA draft strategy! Reply with quote

Ok I get that we needed talent and we got some decent players by using strategy the Schwartz's first couple years but this Rediculous, our defense is garbage. Dline really isn't dominating like they should, linebackers cant tackle, w/ exception of tullo. Bentley as more PI then passes defended. Our safetys just flat out suck. Time to start drafting to fill holes. I don't care if they have off the field issues that's where our coaches and vets need to step up and take control!!

What are your thoughts!
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts are this line of thinking got us Cherilus.

You never reach for need!

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hysteria.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with BPA, except when you believe BPA is a WR or RB every damn year Evil or Very Mad
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are everything you posted is wrong. Razz

Seriously, I do disagree with pretty much everything you said though.

"We needed talent" implies that we don't need talent now and are only a few pieces away. I disagree. We still need an increase in overall talent at several positions (OL, LB, DB) and a couple other positions are possible as well (DE, RB, TE) depending on age, free agency, injury concerns.

Drafting to fill holes means reaching for players which wouldn't solve the problems you are talking about. We have enough off the field issues now, hasn't helped us on the field, its faulty logic.

Drafting BPA doesn't mean ignoring need completely.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
fresnolions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also got us stuck with jonte green, bentley, petigrew, broyles, young Sr. And leshoure, and best. All guys that I'm pretty sure there were better options available. Best would have been a good pick if he could stay healthy.
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:
It also got us stuck with jonte green, bentley, petigrew, broyles, young Sr. And leshoure, and best. All guys that I'm pretty sure there were better options available. Best would have been a good pick if he could stay healthy.

6th round pick which is a crap shoot anyway

way too soon to judge

fine, but he has still been productive at a need position

way too soon to judge

been productive thus far and too soon to judge

got hurt, way too soon to judge

fine, I didn't want Best anyway, but that was because of his injuries, not him as a person or player

I could give a laundry list of drafting for need backfiring.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:

Listing late round picks as BPA choices is desperation on your part.

Talking about Broyles already is funny too. Verdict far from out on him.

LeShoure and Best have both looked like very good players in their time on field as has Young.

Pettigrew while making drops this season was a MAJOR reason they made playoffs.

If anything your post basically squashed your own opinion for us. Thanks

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
DrRay11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Hysteria.

More or less.

We have a talented football team, some areas more than others. We are a few years removed from a winless season. We are about where we should be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to stop the BPA draft strategy! Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:
Ok I get that we needed talent and we got some decent players by using strategy the Schwartz's first couple years but this Rediculous, our defense is garbage. Dline really isn't dominating like they should, linebackers cant tackle, w/ exception of tullo. Bentley as more PI then passes defended. Our safetys just flat out suck. Time to start drafting to fill holes. I don't care if they have off the field issues that's where our coaches and vets need to step up and take control!!

What are your thoughts!

No the problem is that they DID do this in the last draft. They traded picks for ST players (Green Whitehead). It hasnt gotten them anyplace. There were better players at Ol and CB that were available at the time.
Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Hysteria.

More or less.

We have a talented football team, some areas more than others. We are a few years removed from a winless season. We are about where we should be.

No they are still behind where they should be. They have more talent than Min and Ten.

Its going to be an ugly, ugly year
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Hysteria.

More or less.

No they are still behind where they should be. They have more talent than Min and Ten.

Its going to be an ugly, ugly year

They may have more talent on offense but clearly not on defense

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit absolutely needs to keep drafting BPA.

Other than DT there isn't a position on this team that I wouldn't consider drafting.

In case you haven't noticed the Lions just beat the Rams and managed to find ways to lose to the Vikings and the Titans. That's more than alarming. That indicates this team needs far more improvements than anybody thought.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
fresnolions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the theory behind drafting the best player available based off player ratings, but to me our team is lopsided. I dont mind slighty reaching for a player to fill a hole. Rieff and Broyles this year are being used sparingly and probably will for the rest of the season. Why not use those picks on a player that would of help out from day 1 that was also an upgrade over a current roster spot. Was there not a CB or Safety that rated near Rieffs rating that would of helped out this D? The coaches knew he wasnt going to start after they resigned Backus. Im just saying I dont know how they can continue to grab guys like this, and fairley when there are far to many other pressing needs.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:
I understand the theory behind drafting the best player available based off player ratings, but to me our team is lopsided. I dont mind slighty reaching for a player to fill a hole. Rieff and Broyles this year are being used sparingly and probably will for the rest of the season. Why not use those picks on a player that would of help out from day 1 that was also an upgrade over a current roster spot. Was there not a CB or Safety that rated near Rieffs rating that would of helped out this D? The coaches knew he wasnt going to start after they resigned Backus. Im just saying I dont know how they can continue to grab guys like this, and fairley when there are far to many other pressing needs.

If they don't draft Reiff just how do you expect the team to have a LT ready to take over when Backus retires?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: