Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Confidence in Jason Garrett?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still cool with Garrett... I would prefer more running but 23 rushes for 38 yards kinda says it all... many coaches would have bailed long before 23 rushes... the problem is the OL and if they don't get better this team will be lucky to finish at .500

If the Cowboys were playing almost any other team yesterday, they loose. Your not gonna win many games in the NFL with this OL.. not many at all.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was openly against us hiring Jason Garrett as the HC, because I did not think he was ready for the job. I think he is still too inexperienced. He makes mistakes with time managment and in-game adjustments. Having said that, I am happy with him as the HC and think he will get better and will get this team turned around.

As a HC, Garrett still has less than 2 full years of experience. There are very few HC's who come in and immediately have their team challenging for the Super Bowl. Why should we expect anything different from Garrett? We knew that there was rebuilding to be done in several key areas. We needed a new secondary, several new offensive linemen, etc.. It was unrealistic to expect everything to get fixed in 1 or 2 years. This team is a work in progress. Garrett is not trying to build a team that will win the Super Bowl immediately. He is trying to build a team that will compete every week and have sustained success. That takes time and more than 1 or 2 drafts/FA periods.

Yes, the offensive line was bad. We needed a new C and 2 new OG's. There were no top quality C's to be had in FA, so we passed. I have no problem with that. Instead of going after big name free agents at OG and screwing up our salary cap, we went the budget route with Livings and Burnindeuce. Sure, we could've went after DeCastro or Konz in the draft, but our secondary was in worse shape. People always say we should go BPA int he draft. That is exactly what we did. We made a move for the BPA, who just happened to play at a position of serious need. In any other year, everyone would have applauded the move. Now, after seeing Konz unable to crack the starting lineup in Atlanta and DeCastro being less tham impressive before tearing up his knee, the Claiborne move looks even better.

DO I think Dallas has a legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl this year? Not at all. But, I think that if Garrett is given a couple more years as the HC, he will have this team competing for a Super Bowl title. People have to be patient. Just because microwave popcorn is ready in about 3 minutes, doesn't mean that a football team can be fixed as easily.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to defend the fact that our Oline is very raw and inexperienced together. They are not very good but much of that is understandable and even expected at this point, by me. I'm looking for marked improvement after the bye week.
HOWEVER, I do believe there is an ebba nd flow between offenses and defenses every couple of years. It would seem that defenses, for the moment are ahead of the offenses in their understanding, recognition, and execution of game plans.
I.E. I have noticed a signifucant number of sacks and turnovers thus far this year for many teams, more so than usual. I know it is only the 3rd week of the season but it seems the more I watch other games, I notice the QB's from both teams having very little time to throw and taking a pounding. I watched Mike Vick get obliterated several times yesterday. Same with Romo, same with Chicago's QB, Same with Kolb, Rothlsiberger, etc, etc, etc. Hell, even the Manning clan threw for a combined 7 picks in week 2!

Check out these stats on the first 3 weeks and last week's games alone for 2012.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sacks-per-game

There are several teams with at least 4 sacks per game, that is 1 a quarter. And if you look at teams like the Iggles, they have 15 turnovers in 3 games! That's 1 turnover a quarter plus some.
So, take it for what it is worth, but the Oline, for as poor as they may be, is not entirely to blame. I believe defenses have gotten faster, schemes have gotten smarter, and the players have gotten stronger. It is up to the O line to adapt, that will take time.
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to give Garrett an incomplete at this stage. Yes he has had some well documented time mangement and in game adjustment issues. Penalties are appaling. On the other had he really does not have much to work with. Despite terrific skill players on offense they are negated by what may be the worst offensive line the club has fielded in some time. Don't expect that unit to get better - they are what they are. Overall depth on the club is still an issue.

The defense has really improved but again they will be impacted by the o line - lots of three and outs means the defense is on the field too much which will see them wear down.

The issue will be if the club crashes and burns this year how much patience will Jerry exhibit?
Calvert28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been burned too many times for me to "have confidence". Until something is accomplished, I am still unfortunately expecting a fail. It's the only way I can keep watching the games now, is if I am not expecting us to succeed.

I can see how Lions have managed to keep their sanity all these years.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
I think the problem is On the Field execution. Dropped balls, blown blocking assignments, careless turnovers.

All mental errors that are not being corrected. Of course, some of these coincide, but these are the things plaguing the offense.

Im just glad the team has a reliable defense that can plug the gap until these things are corrected. Remember, we have an OL with only 3 games played together.

I can't make excuses for Free's terrible game today however.

I believe Garrett is doing a good job, it's the players (and his) job to correct mental errors.

Yes or no... Does a team's inability to execute on the field ultimately fall on the head coach?

Yes. Every year we have some excuse. Once again Jerry got all excited that a coach, this time Callahan, could make quality starters out of mediocre talent. Give Romo another big contract. It's a waste, if you're not gonna protect him.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
We have been burned too many times for me to "have confidence". Until something is accomplished, I am still unfortunately expecting a fail. It's the only way I can keep watching the games now, is if I am not expecting us to succeed.

I can see how Lions have managed to keep their sanity all these years.

I have a similar approach to Cowboy games now - no expectations and very low key. It's the only way I can watch the games after years mediocrity and failing to meet expectations.

Glad to see you post. Where have you been? Welcome back.
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind about are the Cowboys joke.

The only punchline about this team is the fans. We're getting laughed at right now. The Pats, Steelers, some others would love to get to 2-1 the way we did.

WINNING UGLY IS STILL WINNING. We're the only team in America whose fans put their coach on the hot seat in week 3.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:

The only punchline about this team is the fans. We're getting laughed at right now. The Pats, Steelers, some others would love to get to 2-1 the way we did.

WINNING UGLY IS STILL WINNING. We're the only team in America whose fans put their coach on the hot seat in week 3.

That's not true, there are multiple fan bases that do the exact same thing. Except we've come to know what to expect and it makes us irritable. And if that's enough for you to show where the ungratefulness lies. You can't argue that Eagles and Raiders fans are much worse then we are. Hell even Giants fans wants coughlin out just only a year after he won his first SB.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:

The question was do we have confidence in Jason. I don't have confidence in him, but I certainly don't want him fired. I didn't want him hired to begin with because his hands were dirty from the 1-7 thing that got Wade fired.

I'm hoping he can be the winner that the team needs. I'm holding out hoping that he surprises me.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
We're the only team in America whose fans put their coach on the hot seat in week 3.

Your lack of nfl knowledge is shockingly pitiful. There is a 2-1 team in our division alone whose fans put their coach on the hot seat. They didn't wait 3 weeks however. They did it after a week 1 victory.

Second, I don't think I've seen any fan in our forum put the coach in the hot seat. There is a huge difference between questioning whether Garrett is another JJ puppet (let's face it, Jerry's recent actions didn't help) and wanting Garrett fired. 2 year ago, I wanted wade Phillips fired after 3-4 weeks. I haven't seen Garrett come under that kind of scrutiny at all.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Northland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:

I will say this. Cowboy fans, like other fans are delusional to an extent. Should we beat the Bears to go 3-1 there will talk of playoffs, and dare say it, a SuperBowl run. Given the state of our O Line, that inevitable talk is delusional. While winning ugly is indeed still winning you can't count on winning ugly every week. The inability to execute will catch up with you.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:

I will say this. Cowboy fans, like other fans are delusional to an extent. Should we beat the Bears to go 3-1 there will talk of playoffs, and dare say it, a SuperBowl run. Given the state of our O Line, that inevitable talk is delusional. While winning ugly is indeed still winning you can't count on winning ugly every week. The inability to execute will catch up with you.

Yep the difference between winner and loser is execution of the gameplan.

Sciz wrote:
LIES!
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read every page in this thread (and don't plan on it) but, at this moment, I trust JG to get this team where it needs to be. I believe we are already headed in that direction and, given SUFFICIENT time, will get us back to the Glory Hole.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft coach, soft team. Like Keyshawn said, a team takes on the personality of its head coach, and this team is really soft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: