Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it nice to FINALLY have this situation??

I love it when you can draft a rookie and not be forced to play him. I feel like that gives him the best chance of becoming a solid player. Yes, they don't get the immediate playin time for the sink or swim situation but they get to sit, watch, and learn from real professionals.

Letting James watch and learn from frank gore (who is now finally embracing his teacher role) will do wonders for him. Jacobs will teach him a thing two also. Jenkins gets to learn from randy moss and Jerry rice. That's going to help him so much!

We know James and Jenkins have all the physical tools in the world but they both (more so Jenkins) haven't got the mental side down yet. How do you do that? By watching and learning!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

4evera9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
So, we can see how bad teams (just like we were not so long ago) have to start their rookies, because the assumption is that the guy with no experience is already better than what they had. We are a good team, and we DON'T have to play the guys with no experience, because they're not better than what we have YET. Jenkins and James are not disappointing so far. They're just the victims of a great roster. Next year, they should force Baalrbaugh to make tough decisions. But it wasn't a tough decision to let the better players play this year.

Rudy knows what's up.

I approve of this message.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
I just dont think we used our first two picks wisely this year.

Jenkins and James might turn out to be great players in the future, but is it the right call to draft players who wont even contribute in year 1.

Cordy Glenn should have been picked up in the 1st in my opinon. He would have given us depth on the o-line at tackle and guard.

James was brought in to be our Darren Sproles, but i cant see him contributing this year..... Jacobs has been out all year so far and still James has been left out.

We still have Ginn to come back at WR before Jenkins as well due to his returning ability.

Will we even get a chance to see either of them this year.....

the bold seems very contradictory. we failed because we drafted non-starters and yet we should have drafted a guy for depth?

It seems like barlbaugh was swinging for the fences this draft (some might disagree because we didnt draft a "high ceiling" guy like hill, but AJ has a very high ceiling considering his knack for getting open and hands) and while a relatively high amount of these guys probably wont be with us in 3-4 years, i believe that the guys who do stick around are going to make everyone forget about the fact we "missed" on of those other guys, or didnt draft someone else.

we drafted aj and lmj for the future. not just for this year. Im sure both will get their feet wet at some point this season. just because it hasnt happened yet doesnt mean anything. we are very deep at both of their positions but with the vast array of personnel groupings we run I find it hard to believe they wont see any action this year

Maybe harbaugh just wants to make them earn it? if the other guys have outplayed/outpracticed them, why should he just hand over the starting job? because of the draft status or the salary they make? yeah right.

AJ playing on the scout team against cully brown and co and is gaining more experience than if he was the 4th WR on a team that rarely runs 4 WR sets. practicing against our secondary will on ly help him
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little concerning. We're deep at WR and RB but if they were playing well enough, we'd find ways to at least work them in a rotation. Not saying they're busts because i was a fan of both the picks, but we could still use some playmaking ability from our skill positions...you can never have enough.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
It is a little concerning. We're deep at WR and RB but if they were playing well enough, we'd find ways to at least work them in a rotation. Not saying they're busts because i was a fan of both the picks, but we could still use some playmaking ability from our skill positions...you can never have enough.

Who would you sacrifice on the active gameday roster? It's not like we can dress all 53 players we have on the roster. If we could, they would play. But Harbaugh won't sacrifice a good special team player just to give AJ or LaMichael 2 or 3 plays a game.

timmay9699

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I disliked the AJ pick, the LaMichael pick was worse. We had Frank, Kendall and Jacobs. Why use a second round pick on a RB that would be the 4th best on the team? A CB, OLB, or D-lineman would have been a much better pick. Yes we were good last year, but you can't waste high draft picks on players who won't contribute AT ALL!!! The good teams still have rookies play major roles in some facet of the game whether it be on special teams or at their specific position. Our draft this year was a waste.
timmay9699

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I disliked the AJ pick, the LaMichael pick was worse. We had Frank, Kendall and Jacobs. Why use a second round pick on a RB that would be the 4th best on the team? A CB, OLB, or D-lineman would have been a much better pick. Yes we were good last year, but you can't waste high draft picks on players who won't contribute AT ALL!!! The good teams still have rookies play major roles in some facet of the game whether it be on special teams or at their specific position. Our draft this year was a waste.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmay9699 wrote:

Houston Texans (3-0)

First pick: Whitney Mercilus - Current stats: 3 tackles, 0 games started. (First round, pick 26)

Second pick: DeVier Posey - Current stats: Hasn't played (Third round, pick 5)

Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

First pick: Peter Konz - Current stats: Hasn't played (Second round, pick 23)

Second pick: Lamar Holmes - Current stats: Hasn't played (Third round, pick 28)

Arizona Cardinals (3-0)

First pick: Michael Floyd - Current stats: 1 reception for 8 yards, 0 games started (First round, pick 13)

Second pick: Jamell Fleming - Current stats: 7 tackles, 1 game started (Third round, pick 17)

So...the first two picks for the three remaining unbeaten teams have combined for 1 start. 3 of the players haven't played at all. 2 have played sparingly and accomplished little.

So...tell me again how good teams find players that contribute right away?

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

2011 New York Giants:

First two picks: Prince Amukamara and Marvin Austin. Total starts in Superbowl year: 0

2010 Green Bay Packers:

First two picks: Bryan Bulaga and Michael Neal. Total starts in Superbowl year: 12 (all by Bulaga)

2009 New Orleans Saints:

First two picks: Malcolm Jenkins and Chip Vaughn (4th rounder - unfair to include, but he is the 2nd pick). Total starts in Superbowl year: 6 (all by Jenkins).

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers:

First two picks: Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed. Total starts in Superbowl year: 1 (Mendenhall)

2007 New York Giants:

First two picks: Aaron Ross and Steve Smith. Total starts In Superbowl year: 9 (all by Ross).

Out of the above 10 players, the only player that was drafted to start was Bulaga. The other players with starts were due to either injury or ineffectiveness by the starter in front of them. With the exception of Steve Smith, all of the other 2nd rounders barely played, if at all.

Sometimes, good teams draft to have players available in future years.

timmay9699

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third round picks weren't a part of the conversation, so waste of trying to prove your point. Every other player was at least a part of the active roster for their teams. And injuries are also a part of why some of those players didn't play. I also said, playing a role, not starting, so again, waste of time since that wasn't my argument. Thanks for playing.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmay9699 wrote:
Third round picks weren't a part of the conversation, so waste of trying to prove your point. Every other player was at least a part of the active roster for their teams. And injuries are also a part of why some of those players didn't play. I also said, playing a role, not starting, so again, waste of time since that wasn't my argument. Thanks for playing.

Of course, one of those third round picks was made 7 picks after our 2nd round pick, but of course - those 7 picks are the difference from immediate roleplayer to a guy that needs developing, right?

Pray tell me oh wise and all-knowing draft guru - at what positions could we have drafted someone that would have had playing time, hmm? Since, we can very obviously rule out WR and RB, that leaves:

QB - Not a chance.

FB - Not a chance.

TE - Team seems very intent on using Delanie Walker at all times, so this seems doubtful.

OT - Not a chance.

OG - Maybe a RG, but is Boone going to get supplanted? Not likely.

C - Not going to start over Goodwin.

DE - Smith and Raymac rarely leave the field.

NT - Isaac Sopoaga rarely sees the field, and RJF is the clear choice for a backup.

OLB - When are there other OLBs on the field other than Brooks/Smith?

MLB - Over Willis/Bowman/Grant?

CB - When's the last time you saw Perrish Cox on the field? Nobody would have started over Rogers/Brown/Culliver.

S - Over Goldson or Whitner?

So again - please tell me. What rookie exactly is getting playing time where??? What amazing performer did you have your little heart set on that would have a role on this team? Hmm?

rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
timmay9699 wrote:

Of course, one of those third round picks was made 7 picks after our 2nd round pick, but of course - those 7 picks are the difference from immediate roleplayer to a guy that needs developing, right?

Pray tell me oh wise and all-knowing draft guru - at what positions could we have drafted someone that would have had playing time, hmm? Since, we can very obviously rule out WR and RB, that leaves:

QB - Not a chance.

FB - Not a chance.

TE - Team seems very intent on using Delanie Walker at all times, so this seems doubtful.

OT - Not a chance.

NT - Isaac Sopoaga rarely sees the field, and RJF is the clear choice for a backup.

CB - When's the last time you saw Perrish Cox on the field? Nobody would have started over Rogers/Brown/Culliver.

So again - please tell me. What rookie exactly is getting playing time where??? What amazing performer did you have your little heart set on that would have a role on this team? Hmm?

And add my question: who on the active roster do you sit in order to give a rookie playing time?

timmay9699

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
timmay9699 wrote:

QB - Not a chance.

FB - Not a chance.

OT - Not a chance.

And add my question: who on the active roster do you sit in order to give a rookie playing time?

Dixon, Spillman, Tukuafu, L. Davis and T. Brock could all be replaced. We need a DL that can replace Smith and Ray Mac for breathers and injuries. Spillman isn't good. Davis is just a big body for the goal line, offers no depth. Dixon is our 5th RB. Really 5 RB's??? Tukuafu plays more FB than DT, come on man! And a 2nd round CB would kick the [inappropriate/removed] out of Brock. Good enough for you guys?
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just contradicted yourself once again. Would take Brock off the roster? Sure, but guess what? He's our 5th CB so is he playing over our top 3? Nope! Tukuafu is our goaline FB and Spillman is our ST ace. Dixon is another solid ST player but it will be interesting to see what happens once Jacobs returns. End of the day, this team didn't have many needs so we had the luxury to draft for the future.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmay9699 wrote:

Gore and Jacobs have been in the league since 2005. That is why you use a pick on James. Also the WR corps are so deep it gives Jenkins time to actually develop. How can you say the draft this year was a waste after only 4 games?

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: