Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Mirage of Missed Tackles?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I am, however, suggesting that they're coached to approaching the tackle in a way that gives them a greater chance to miss, but pushes the ball-carrier inside.

As are every other 8yo in AA ball. It makes no nevermind. Our guys are whiffing because they muffed up.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I am, however, suggesting that they're coached to approaching the tackle in a way that gives them a greater chance to miss, but pushes the ball-carrier inside.

As are every other 8yo in AA ball. It makes no nevermind. Our guys are whiffing because they muffed up.

Exactly. At this level there is no way the missed amount of tackles is because of this. It is because they suck.

If they are whiffing because of this and coaches have not corrected it then I would be ashamed.

Fact is the roster still needs talent and more so in secondary then anywhere

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap. Seriously. It's shocking to me that my point, which I made clear in the OP and clarified after the fact, is still being missed completely.

I'm not suggesting that all of our missed tackles are by design. I'm noticing a trend on a select type of play where we seem content to give a greater chance to miss the tackle if it means taking away the outside of the field. Fans get in an uproar about it during the game, but it looks like the players (in these specific instances are doing what they're told to do. And it makes sense.

This place... I don't know sometimes.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Holy crap. Seriously. It's shocking to me that my point, which I made clear in the OP and clarified after the fact, is still being missed completely.

I'm not suggesting that all of our missed tackles are by design. I'm noticing a trend on a select type of play where we seem content to give a greater chance to miss the tackle if it means taking away the outside of the field. Fans get in an uproar about it during the game, but it looks like the players (in these specific instances are doing what they're told to do. And it makes sense.

In those specific plays the players muffed up. As well as any other missed tackle.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

In those specific plays the players muffed up. As well as any other missed tackle.

Yep. I'm not suggesting otherwise: but they're being put in a situation where they have a greater chance of missing the tackle because it limits the offense. Which... is my point.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Yep. I'm not suggesting otherwise: but they're being put in a situation where they have a greater chance of missing the tackle because it limits the offense. Which... is my point.

No moreso than any other defensive player in any league in the history of football. Which.....is my point.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

No moreso than any other defensive player in any league in the history of football. Which.....is my point.

It doesnt matter. Schemes in football do not make your whiff anything more then a whiff.

If they are in position to make a tackle and dont it is the defenders fault not the design.

Now if the design takes you OUT of the play like it does the DL and DE with the wide 9 that is totally different.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:

I know for a fact that not all teams are coached that way. So... no point.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

All PLAYERS are. There's a little fact for ya.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

All PLAYERS are. There's a little fact for ya.

I watched the Lions play during the Marinelli era. They did not do this.

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry TL, but this is a stupid thread you're going for which you're going to get ragged on. It's Gunther's fault more than yours. Don't call missed tackles a "mirage" though. "Oh, you missed that tackle? That's okay, bud!" - said no one, ever.

Obviously, football players are taught to seal the edge. Sometimes, it will create a "missed" tackle. It's not a mirage. There is no blurriness in stopping the opponent. Nothing more really needs to be said. If the wolfpack is there, they will clean it up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Sorry TL, but this is a stupid thread you're going for which you're going to get ragged on. It's Gunther's fault more than yours. Don't call missed tackles a "mirage" though. "Oh, you missed that tackle? That's okay, bud!" - said no one, ever.

Obviously, football players are taught to seal the edge. Sometimes, it will create a "missed" tackle. It's not a mirage. There is no blurriness in stopping the opponent. Nothing more really needs to be said. If the wolfpack is there, they will clean it up.

Yep, the name is clearly a lack of judgement on my part: I assumed everyone would read the entire post before assuming that I was talking about all tackles. Foolish assumption.

The "mirage" is when fans watching the game are oblivious to this, and rip the defending player's tackling ability. That was my point: it's not just the player's ability, but the angle he's coached to take, that creates the miss.

I really can't believe my point in all of this was missed this badly.

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

Yep, the name is clearly a lack of judgement on my part: I assumed everyone would read the entire post before assuming that I was talking about all tackles. Foolish assumption.

The "mirage" is when fans watching the game are oblivious to this, and rip the defending player's tackling ability. That was my point: it's not just the player's ability, but the angle he's coached to take, that creates the miss.

I really can't believe my point in all of this was missed this badly.

No, I got it. But I guess my point is it didn't need to be laid out like that. Yes, true fans are armchair coaches. People will overreact to that. We're all human.

I read your post. moving along, then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: