Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stadium Saga Part XII - Design firm is announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73329
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
what happened to making a building look like... a building?

don't sweat it, that's what we'll get. Lucas Oil Field looks a lot like a warehouse.

but think of the sports arenas recently used in Olympic venues. that's what those drawings were more akin to.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6640
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
what happened to making a building look like... a building?

don't sweat it, that's what we'll get. Lucas Oil Field looks a lot like a warehouse.

but think of the sports arenas recently used in Olympic venues. that's what those drawings were more akin to.
so you're saying we'll put in a bid for the Olympics?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73329
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
so you're saying we'll put in a bid for the Olympics?!

no, just that the unique and artistic styling you see for sports stadiums is the growing trend, because of the Olympics. but not really in the NFL.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47780
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cardinals and Cowboys stadiums look more like giant alien space stations to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingshomer


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2232
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
HKS submitted the second-lowest bid, at nearly $42 million, but the final price was negotiated down. The highest bid, $54 million, came from Kansas City-based Populous (formerly HOK), the designer of the Twins' Target Field, TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota and the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The lowest bid of $32 million came from Los Angeles-based AECOM, which designed CenturyLink Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks.

Along with HKS, Populous and Kansas City-based HNTB were called back for second interviews, according to the authority. AECOM and Philadelphia-based Ewing Cole were not.





http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21651983/vikings-stadium-architect-be-announced

That top one looks amazing. I don't want another bland typical stadium, I want something that is out of the box and has state of the art amenities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AndyJ1134


Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 1323
Location: South Metro
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second one screams "Football of the future."

Which gives me goosebumps for some reason Think
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4788
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st pic design is really nice

Now I dont think the actual will look like that, but I will prefer it to be different looking.

I want more then just a rectangular box, airport hanger, giant bowl, football shape with a bubble etc.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WareWolf94


Joined: 28 Apr 2005
Posts: 5513
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been directed to here to describe Cowboys stadium. I'm sure most of you guys know the look and feel based on TV.

I will say that Jerry Jones had his hand so deep in the development of Cowboys Stadium it wasn't really up to the architects on the design. I'll be going to a game OCT 28 and I'll have an up close view of it.

I guess the budget would be the main factor and it looks likes, judging from the early designs they are staying away from alot of steel.

Steel is by far the most expensive item during production of the stadium. So you might see a visually stimulating stadium with alot less steel. Which is why you see alot of glass.
_________________


Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 3265
Location: J.J. Wilcox fan club headquarters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to comment on this thread. I'll oblige. I love the 'Jerry World' stadium because of it's sheer mass, and vastness. It is a true giant. The problem is that it is too large to be functional, unless we pack 100,000 people in it. Which the inevitable increase of ticket prices, when rebuilding your stadium, almost eliminates the chance of. You also have small stadiums like Seattle's that are much less physically imposing, but have a higher degree of functionality. That's the type of stadium you should hope for. A stadium that can be viciously loud with 50,000 people in it, because a loud stadium can indeed influence a game. When we pack 50,000 people in Cowboys stadium the sound is pathetic. The top three NFL stadiums in terms of capacity are NFC East teams. The Giants, the Cowboys, and the Redskins. The Eagles, who have the divisions smallest stadium at 69,144, arguably have the loudest stadium in the East. The Cowboys have the most magnificent IMO, but when you can help your teams performance with stadium design why wouldn't you?
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6640
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
You also have small stadiums like Seattle's that are much less physically imposing, but have a higher degree of functionality. That's the type of stadium you should hope for. A stadium that can be viciously loud with 50,000 people in it, because a loud stadium can indeed influence a game. When we pack 50,000 people in Cowboys stadium the sound is pathetic.


I'm pretty sure that the footprint we are building on is small compared to places like Dallas, so I think there's a good chance that will work in our favor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingshomer wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
HKS submitted the second-lowest bid, at nearly $42 million, but the final price was negotiated down. The highest bid, $54 million, came from Kansas City-based Populous (formerly HOK), the designer of the Twins' Target Field, TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota and the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The lowest bid of $32 million came from Los Angeles-based AECOM, which designed CenturyLink Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks.

Along with HKS, Populous and Kansas City-based HNTB were called back for second interviews, according to the authority. AECOM and Philadelphia-based Ewing Cole were not.





http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21651983/vikings-stadium-architect-be-announced

That top one looks amazing. I don't want another bland typical stadium, I want something that is out of the box and has state of the art amenities.


If it doesn't look similar to Luca Oil, Ford Field, or Quest Field I'll be upset. No need to let some design student experiment on us. Go with what works and what we know looks good!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6640
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:

If it doesn't look similar to Luca Oil, Ford Field, or Quest Field I'll be upset. No need to let some design student experiment on us. Go with what works and what we know looks good!


What looks good? You might be the first person I've seen who says either Ford Field or Lucas Oil Stadium look good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

If it doesn't look similar to Luca Oil, Ford Field, or Quest Field I'll be upset. No need to let some design student experiment on us. Go with what works and what we know looks good!


What looks good? You might be the first person I've seen who says either Ford Field or Lucas Oil Stadium look good.


Those 2 stadiums from what I've read have received nothing but praise. They were talking about how great Lucas Oil stadium was during the Vikings game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47780
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred style if Lucas Oil, so I hope they do something similar but unique to that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22578
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone mention how the first picture looks like 5 Viking horns lined up next to each other (in addition to looking like ski/sledding slopes). Wink

I'm all for making it a unique European-style stadium...maybe even Nordic?...just not like this.


_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group