Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Don't ignore Stephen Jones though, guys. For all the crust Jerry Jones gets, Stephen Jones has become the film-watcher, gameplan studier, player scouting GM that Jerry has never been. It's a big reason why our drafts seem to suck a little bit less each season, I think.

Jokes and opinion on the matter aside, S. Jones has become the balancing force a little bit at GM. And it's not very easy to find a good GM in this league. For every Pioli there's 5 ... Jerry Joneses. Razz

Our drafts have sucked less but I'm not ready to put that on Stephen Jones just yet. I would lean more toward Garrett at this point.

The puppet coach? Odd.

Quote:
Yep, you definitely missed the point of the article. She's not attacking Jerry Jones, the owner. In fact, she calls him a "great owner" and "he is always thinking of ways to generate cash and always willing to spend that cash on his Cowboys." She actually agrees that all of the marketing things he's is doing is great for an owner to do.

She's critical of Jerry from a GM only perspective. Her point is that GMs whose sole purpose is to win football games don't get side tracked with all of the other BS. And, she is also saying that it shows up on the field which is why Dallas has only won 1 playoff game since 1996. She basically makes the same point that I have been making for a long time... Since 1996, the Cowboys have only won 1 playoff game. During that time frame, Dallas has had 6 head coaches but only 1 GM. In other words, the head coaches have been the fall guys for one bad GM.

In a nutshell, she basically makes that point that when Jimmy Johnson was in charge of player acquisition etc, it was fine for Jerry to get involved in everything else because there was still a football guy running the football team. Since Jimmy left, Jerry has been too focused on everything that would make him a great owner and not focused enough on what would make him a great GM. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of the forum agree with that point. There are only 5 of you that would probably disagree.

Her making 1 finite point in a rambling article of dribble does not make her article valid.

Like I said - there are several fantastic ways to be critical of Jerry in the capacity of Owner and GM. This article is a poor representation of it. 90% of the articles sound like the mad rantings of someone who never got to go to Prom. 10% of lucid thought does not change that.

First, I actually voted for the "not enough information" option in Garrett puppet poll. But, would I trust him in picking talent BEFORE Stephen Jones? Hell yes.

Second, YOU STILL DON'T GET THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE. What you call "dribble" and "rantings" are actually a great set up to her 1 finite point. Please name one other team in the NFL where the GM is concerned with commercials, poll dancers, and victoria secret stores. Once you digest all the non GM things Jerry has going on (ie "dribble"), it emphasizes her point that NFL GMs are people who "excel at the Xs and Os, break down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters. They tend not to have side jobs, rapping in Papa John's commercials. They tend to say things like, “leave me the hell alone” when a PR person walks in floating the idea of showing up at the ribbon-cutting ceremony."

Personally, I think that using real life examples of things that distract Jerry from doing his GM job and doing it in a comical fashion strengthen her point.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
First, I actually voted for the "not enough information" option in Garrett puppet poll. But, would I trust him in picking talent BEFORE Stephen Jones? Hell yes.

Second, YOU STILL DON'T GET THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE. What you call "dribble" and "rantings" are actually a great set up to her 1 finite point. Please name one other team in the NFL where the GM is concerned with commercials, poll dancers, and victoria secret stores. Once you digest all the non GM things Jerry has going on (ie "dribble"), it emphasizes her point that NFL GMs are people who "excel at the Xs and Os, break down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters. They tend not to have side jobs, rapping in Papa John's commercials. They tend to say things like, “leave me the hell alone” when a PR person walks in floating the idea of showing up at the ribbon-cutting ceremony."

Personally, I think that using real life examples of things that distract Jerry from doing his GM job and doing it in a comical fashion strengthen her point.

Laughing

Slam that is an AWFUL way to build an argument. For 2/3rds of the article you have no idea what she is talking about. During the last quarter she briefly mentions the GMing, and then she goes back to her, 'never been on a date,' rampage.

Look. I agree. I don't want nor like my owner as GM. Most of us don't. But he has responsibilities as Owner to also attend to. Could that take away from GMing duties? Sure. I think being the Owner of the most valuable NFL franchise takes up a lot of time. Especially when you consider the influence and impact he makes on the NFL as a whole. That it extends beyond the scope of just the Cowboys.

The article is awful. There are so many more lucid and thoughtful ways to articulate that Jerry should not be the GM. But at the end, this article is a joke. I don't particularly care if you subscribe to the message. The article appears to be written by a PMSing shrill of a woman who never had the ability to wear anything from V.S.

EDIT:

You know what, we are going to disagree. I think this article was stupid. You may see it however you wish. Ultimately neither of us wants Jerry as the GM. But you will find some way, I am sure, of praising this article as the pinnacle journalism of our team. You, no doubt, will be saying Woodward who it's all about this crazy woman in the 21st century. So you can have the last word here. Since I don't see the point in continuing the discussion of a woman who puts Skip Bayless to shame.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Laughing

Slam that is an AWFUL way to build an argument. For 2/3rds of the article you have no idea what she is talking about. During the last quarter she briefly mentions the GMing, and then she goes back to her, 'never been on a date,' rampage.

Look. I agree. I don't want nor like my owner as GM. Most of us don't. But he has responsibilities as Owner to also attend to. Could that take away from GMing duties? Sure. I think being the Owner of the most valuable NFL franchise takes up a lot of time. Especially when you consider the influence and impact he makes on the NFL as a whole. That it extends beyond the scope of just the Cowboys.

The article is awful. There are so many more lucid and thoughtful ways to articulate that Jerry should not be the GM. But at the end, this article is a joke. I don't particularly care if you subscribe to the message. The article appears to be written by a PMSing shrill of a woman who never had the ability to wear anything from V.S.

EDIT:

You know what, we are going to disagree. I think this article was stupid. You may see it however you wish. Ultimately neither of us wants Jerry as the GM. But you will find some way, I am sure, of praising this article as the pinnacle journalism of our team. You, no doubt, will be saying Woodward who it's all about this crazy woman in the 21st century. So you can have the last word here. Since I don't see the point in continuing the discussion of a woman who puts Skip Bayless to shame.

Don't lie... You'd hit it.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Calvert28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of the article.

Did I? The carefully crafted article articulates the view of our owner and the stadium he built has made the Cowboys franchise a Joke. Which is painfully dumb when you consider that we are the most valuable football franchise.

The few legitimate points it raises are overshadowed by the bumbling attempt to attack the ownership over non-issues.

You want to criticize Jerry as the GM and showcase why being both Owner and GM are not a good combination? Okay - there are literally thousands of ways to do so, and be right in the process.

You can take the academic approach of highlighting the positives and negatives of his tenure. Showcase that the bad in this case does outweigh the good.

You can take the comparative approach showing the last owner/gm is now 6ft under and this is a dying breed.

But when you talk about the most valuable franchise in the NFL as a joke...because of the marketing schemes of the owner and somehow try to twist that into saying how he sucks as a GM is laughable. It is honestly a poor attempt at journalism.

You can, I promise you, start a poll asking if people would want Jerry to stay as GM - and well over the majority would want him gone. But this article was stupid.

"The Cowboys are a joke." Okay, why.

"Well Jerry has added underwear and stripper poles to the stadium." Umm...wait, what.

"His marketing attempts are awful."

What. Is. This. I don't. Even...

"He can't do the job of Owner and GM properly." Okay...some logic.

"While the Giants win we are opening up stores in Jerry World." DAFUQ!

"Pushup bras will just distract you from the fact we are not winning." Wow. Okay...

Slam. You can't possibly take this article as serious. It in it self is a joke.

The attacks were to point out the ridiculous focus on marketing instead of winning that Jerry has put on this organization. Notice that Jerry has more big market commercials then the rest of the team put together. Besides the shampoo commercial with Romo, I can't think of another one with a Cowboys player in it, but I can name you numerous ones that have Jerry in it.

Reiterating a statement over and over again in a article is a dead give away that, thats the message that the writer wants you to focus on.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
mco65

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of being an NFL fan is taking pot shots from other fans and the occasional sports writer. Personally I don't think any NFL fans take more pot shots than the Cowboys and its probably well deserved. If you win and win a lot you gonna have some haters.. in the Cowboys case, they haven't won in a LONG LONG time so some of the pot shots are from haters of the past but many more are from fans who can't understand why the Cowboys are even relevant...

You can go to ANY town in the USA and wear your Cowboys Jersey and you will get comments, good and bad.. you wear your Jaguars Jersey (or 20 other jerseys) and you will get ignored... The Cowboys are as relevant as the Giants, Patriots, Packers and Steelers.. all teams who have won multiple Super Bowls recently... there is a reason for that... some of its History and some of its Jerry...

Personally I don't like Jerry The GM, if you want to take pot shots at him then get in LINE because its a long one and its mostly filled with Cowboy fans.. but if you want to take pot shots at Jerry the marketing guy, well you just look stupid... because he is the one of the best in the league..! I guarantee you that all the other Owners and the NFL front office Appreciate Jerry Jones the marketing guy, why... because he makes them money.. more than any other owner in the league.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Part of being an NFL fan is taking pot shots from other fans and the occasional sports writer. Personally I don't think any NFL fans take more pot shots than the Cowboys and its probably well deserved. If you win and win a lot you gonna have some haters.. in the Cowboys case, they haven't won in a LONG LONG time so some of the pot shots are from haters of the past but many more are from fans who can't understand why the Cowboys are even relevant...

You can go to ANY town in the USA and wear your Cowboys Jersey and you will get comments, good and bad.. you wear your Jaguars Jersey (or 20 other jerseys) and you will get ignored... The Cowboys are as relevant as the Giants, Patriots, Packers and Steelers.. all teams who have won multiple Super Bowls recently... there is a reason for that... some of its History and some of its Jerry...

Personally I don't like Jerry The GM, if you want to take pot shots at him then get in LINE because its a long one and its mostly filled with Cowboy fans.. but if you want to take pot shots at Jerry the marketing guy, well you just look stupid... because he is the one of the best in the league..! I guarantee you that all the other Owners and the NFL front office Appreciate Jerry Jones the marketing guy, why... because he makes them money.. more than any other owner in the league.
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:

While I still think we can do worse than Jerry (he's done it long enough to at least be able to see talent when it's there - plus he's got the balls to go out and get what he wants), it is pretty easy to see why people would take shots at him.

I think a large part of it, is because Dallas is that team where you almost never know what you are going to get. Every Sunday they look like a new team. Are they a ground and pound, defensive team? Are they an aerial assault team with a heavy blitz? Are they going to hang up 30 points on a good team, and then spill out only 7 or 10 against a subpar team? Or are they actually going to win the games they should win? You never know with these Cowboys, and with all the attention they get, one would think they actually win often. And the last 2 years, they haven't done that.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Hawksrealm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

In a nutshell, she basically makes that point that when Jimmy Johnson was in charge of player acquisition etc, it was fine for Jerry to get involved in everything else because there was still a football guy running the football team. Since Jimmy left, Jerry has been too focused on everything that would make him a great owner and not focused enough on what would make him a great GM. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of the forum agree with that point. There are only 5 of you that would probably disagree.

What exactly was Jimmy Johnson in charge of, maybe firing kickers? Tex Schram and Landry wanted Aikman....Johnson sure as hell didn't. Aikman was drafted, seems to me Schram was still in charge at that moment in time.
JJ hired Norv Turner....sure as hell wasn't Johnson, Zampese called the plays, sure as hell wasn't Johnson. Really what was Jumpin Jimini in charge of...oh yeah I remember, he was in charge of running his mouth at cocktail parties. I give as much credit to Switzer as I'd give to Johnson, for the 90s teams. Most of the credit still goes to Schram and Landry, and Hershal Walker....for what the 90s team became.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

What exactly was Jimmy Johnson in charge of, maybe firing kickers? Tex Schram and Landry wanted Aikman....Johnson sure as hell didn't. Aikman was drafted, seems to me Schram was still in charge at that moment in time.
JJ hired Norv Turner....sure as hell wasn't Johnson, Zampese called the plays, sure as hell wasn't Johnson. Really what was Jumpin Jimini in charge of...oh yeah I remember, he was in charge of running his mouth at cocktail parties. I give as much credit to Switzer as I'd give to Johnson, for the 90s teams. Most of the credit still goes to Schram and Landry, and Hershal Walker....for what the 90s team became.

Where in the world did you get those ideas from?

Johnson was brought in after Landry was gone and that Walker trade was all Jimmy, he revolutionized the way teams drafted after his success with his early 92 and 93 teams with that Walker trade which was his idea. And you can look at that up.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
TheGame316

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I never get about this argument

I always see the haterz complaining that this team has "So much Talent, but can't get it done" followed by "Jerry is the worst GM in Football"

Well, it can't be both, If Jerry is the guy getting "All This Talent" - that pretty much sums up the job of a good GM
Hawksrealm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Johnson was brought in after Landry was gone and that Walker trade was all Jimmy, he revolutionized the way teams drafted after his success with his early 92 and 93 teams with that Walker trade which was his idea. And you can look at that up.

Landry was fired so JJ could hire his Arkansas buddy Jimmy. Everything I said is well documented and easy to prove. Jimmy cut all the leadership Cowboys and managed to go 1-15. But there was still a big neucleus left over to build on (Landrys guys). It was the Vikings who broke their back wanting Hershal, and as far as I know it ws Jerry Jones made the deal....not Jimmy Johnson. Norv was brought in to handle Troy Aikman, who Jimmy said "was a loser in College and would always be one". Even you must know with your limited knowledge that Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh?

See the problem here is most you guys that post here got on board in 92 and worship at Johnsons feet. When in fact you have brainwashed yourselves to made up facts that you keep repeating year after year. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you dig deep, you'll find out most of what is said, just isn't true.

Do you really not know that Tex Schram was still there after landry was fired. Schram announced at the owners meeting in 1989 that he would be leaving the Cowboys to help Landry set up the new European League. Gee Did you know that? There are a million facts you guys that worship Jimmy Johnson are not aware of. But us guys who have been with the Cowboys since the 60s really don't share your beliefs, thats why most of us don't post here anymore.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with hawk here. Johnson gets far too much of the credit. Johnson did not want Aikman and did not have a good track record when it came to scouting or finding talent, that much is indeed documented in many books about the Boys of the 90s.

I wouldn't say there was a nuceleus left from landry, though. Most of the quality guys were cast aside when Jimmy arrived, and Jerry was still responsible for the majority of the Cowboys moves with personnel. He had say too. Final say, the most important say.

Jimmy did great, and deserves credit. But not every ounce of it like people give him. Jerry was part of it too, people seem to forget that.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
One thing I never get about this argument

I always see the haterz complaining that this team has "So much Talent, but can't get it done" followed by "Jerry is the worst GM in Football"

Well, it can't be both, If Jerry is the guy getting "All This Talent" - that pretty much sums up the job of a good GM

Exactly. People seem to give Jerry no credit on the good moves, good drafts and late round gems. But they give him all of the hate when there is a bad move, a bad draft, or an early round bust.

Read the Football FAQ!
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Landry was fired so JJ could hire his Arkansas buddy Jimmy. Everything I said is well documented and easy to prove. Jimmy cut all the leadership Cowboys and managed to go 1-15. But there was still a big neucleus left over to build on (Landrys guys). It was the Vikings who broke their back wanting Hershal, and as far as I know it ws Jerry Jones made the deal....not Jimmy Johnson. Norv was brought in to handle Troy Aikman, who Jimmy said "was a loser in College and would always be one". Even you must know with your limited knowledge that Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh?

See the problem here is most you guys that post here got on board in 92 and worship at Johnsons feet. When in fact you have brainwashed yourselves to made up facts that you keep repeating year after year. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you dig deep, you'll find out most of what is said, just isn't true.

Do you really not know that Tex Schram was still there after landry was fired. Schram announced at the owners meeting in 1989 that he would be leaving the Cowboys to help Landry set up the new European League. Gee Did you know that? There are a million facts you guys that worship Jimmy Johnson are not aware of. But us guys who have been with the Cowboys since the 60s really don't share your beliefs, thats why most of us don't post here anymore.

The biggest and best deceptions are those that mix a little bit of truth with just the right amount of fallacy. If you were around back then, then you know, that Aikman was drafted after Landry was fired. You will also know that Schramm had absolutely no voice in the organization and was fired a few weeks after the draft. You also know that the team didn't have a winning record until 1991 and that roster had a few Landry guys on offense and a couple Landry guys on defense.

Jimmy ran the draft and handled talent acquistion and evaluation. Hate it if you want, but that is how it was. Jerry wasn't in the draft room working the phones like he did post-Jimmy. Revisionist history is pretty easy if people are willing to blindly accept the fallacies as truth.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

The biggest and best deceptions are those that mix a little bit of truth with just the right amount of fallacy. If you were around back then, then you know, that Aikman was drafted after Landry was fired. You will also know that Schramm had absolutely no voice in the organization and was fired a few weeks after the draft. You also know that the team didn't have a winning record until 1991 and that roster had a few Landry guys on offense and a couple Landry guys on defense.

Jimmy ran the draft and handled talent acquistion and evaluation. Hate it if you want, but that is how it was. Jerry wasn't in the draft room working the phones like he did post-Jimmy. Revisionist history is pretty easy if people are willing to blindly accept the fallacies as truth.

He may not have worked the phones. But he still had final say on every decision, and made a few all his own as well. He's been hands on from day 1.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: