Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Might as well join in MOCK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Might as well join in MOCK Reply with quote

1. Jackson Jeffcoat OLB Texas
2. Matt Elam S Florida
3. Nico Johnson LB Alabama
4. Tarvarres King WR Georgia
5. David Yankey OT Stanford
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Might as well join in MOCK Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
2. Matt Elam S Florida

draft a new OL coach and D coordinator, that is the start for a promising future IMO
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Might as well join in MOCK Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
kysteeler wrote:
2. Matt Elam S Florida

draft a new OL coach and D coordinator, that is the start for a promising future IMO

I would def agree with that right now. Which if things don't turn around I could see happening next year.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Might as well join in MOCK Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
3rivers wrote:
kysteeler wrote:
2. Matt Elam S Florida

I would def agree with that right now. Which if things don't turn around I could see happening next year.

Without Harrison, the team is getting an idea of what life could be like without him in a 3-4. They should at least try 4-3 to see how it goes especially if they plan on releasing Harrison next year.

One thing is for sure, the current scheme really benefits from 92 on the field but without him, the D has nowhere near the same effect. Woodley still hasn't showed his late season play (again) and there is no intensity out there. They look like a uninspired players except foote who seems to have some guts out there and has played really good .

Could be a couple of years before they get this all figured out. Few things are for sure:

2 gap 3-4 should be gone
Worilds is not a starting 3-4 OLB and Carter needs to improve
They can't replace Harrison, no chance at all.
Hampton is done after this year, great career he had
press coverage is better for these CB's
the front 7 is very slow compared to other teams.

Not sure:

current roster could switch to 4-3 quite easily. I don't know if the LB's could make the switch, but the DL could IMO.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post, 3rivers!

I understand the logic of pick with Jeffcoat, but I like Okafor better. More complete player, Jeffcoat is a boom/bust prospect.

Matt Elam, no complain but I think he's somewhat too soft for our scheme. He can be a pro bowler safety for a cover 2 or aka Tampa 2 scheme.

Nich Johnson is a nice prospect, but I'm still going to wait more because he sure didn't produce even with all the attention toward Hightower and Courtney Upshaw.

Tarvarres King... Do we really need a WR? I'm guessing you think we may let go either Mike Wallace or E. Sanders, then that makes sense.

Don't know much about David Yankey.

I see that you made a draft specifically for 3-4 only. Not bad! I still think we probably will shift toward 4-3 in future but and again I wouldn't know, I'm just a fan like every one of you guys! Very Happy
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
great post, 3rivers!

I understand the logic of pick with Jeffcoat, but I like Okafor better. More complete player, Jeffcoat is a boom/bust prospect.

Matt Elam, no complain but I think he's somewhat too soft for our scheme. He can be a pro bowler safety for a cover 2 or aka Tampa 2 scheme.

Nich Johnson is a nice prospect, but I'm still going to wait more because he sure didn't produce even with all the attention toward Hightower and Courtney Upshaw.

Tarvarres King... Do we really need a WR? I'm guessing you think we may let go either Mike Wallace or E. Sanders, then that makes sense.

Don't know much about David Yankey.

I see that you made a draft specifically for 3-4 only. Not bad! I still think we probably will shift toward 4-3 in future but and again I wouldn't know, I'm just a fan like every one of you guys! Very Happy

I did do a 3-4 defense, but I think we should switch to the 4-3.

Woodley, Worilds, Keisel, Hampton, Hood, McLendon, Heyward- nice rotation if you ask me. Timmons, Sly, and Foote could hold their own.
I would like a draft much more next year if we switched.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A switch to the 4-3 is not going to happen anytime in the near future, IMO.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:

Probably not, but a change is needed in one way or another. Whether it means just bringing in someone else to run the 34 or going 4-3.

Not saying either will happen. I mean, hell....the fact that they've stuck with Colon since 2007 and gave him a new contract is proof enough that this team is willing to stick with things that arent working for several years.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:

Yeah... our personnel aren't as ready as some seem to think.

I'm aware that we could have Ta'amu as a 4-3 NT; Ziggy as the UT; Woodley as the RDE. However, none of them have played that in the NFL. I know where Ziggy was in NCAA; but this is the NFL. That sort of switch isn't that simple.

Besides, we have no 4-3 LB. Timmons could play SLB, but he's not showing any promise right now. Spence could be the 4-3 MLB; but not promising after his injury.

Overall, the change isn't likely to happen; yet.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
stillersenat wrote:

Yeah... our personnel aren't as ready as some seem to think.

I'm aware that we could have Ta'amu as a 4-3 NT; Ziggy as the UT; Woodley as the RDE. However, none of them have played that in the NFL. I know where Ziggy was in NCAA; but this is the NFL. That sort of switch isn't that simple.

Besides, we have no 4-3 LB. Timmons could play SLB, but he's not showing any promise right now. Spence could be the 4-3 MLB; but not promising after his injury.

Overall, the change isn't likely to happen; yet.

What does them not having played it in the NFL really matter? There have been several players who came into the league, played in one defense and switched to another defense and were just fine. The only way they would get acclimated with it is to make the switch. Its an adjustment, but its harder to switch to the 3-4 than the 4-3.

Hood and Timmons are easily better fits for the 43 than what they are doing right now.

Spence wasnt a sure thing to do anything in this league before his injury, so I dont think anyone was counting on him just yet.

Woodley-Hood-McClendon-Heyward

Timmons - Foote - Carter (???)

Im not saying we are entirely ready, but it has nothing to do with our players havent having played it in the NFL. Heyward is not long removed from college. Hood and Timmons are both better fits in the 4-3. Foote has played 43 semi decently. Obviously we would need a draft or two to really get it going, but it would also take a draft or two to rebuild our current defense regardless.

Im not saying we will switch to the 4-3.

Im not saying we SHOULD switch.

Im saying that the option is quite viable, especially given the players that will be off the team soon (Harrison, Keisel, Foote, LeBeau) They need more pieces....but then again, so does our 3-4.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
stillersenat wrote:

Probably not, but a change is needed in one way or another. Whether it means just bringing in someone else to run the 34 or going 4-3.

Not saying either will happen. I mean, hell....the fact that they've stuck with Colon since 2007 and gave him a new contract is proof enough that this team is willing to stick with things that arent working for several years.

amen, someone else that sees it the way I do. People say the FO does such a good job, but getting DD and Adams was a gift and had nothing to do with the FO. Signing colon to a deal as such was the FO's dealings and they can take the blame there.

As for scheme change, if they don't change and keep failing, maybe tomlin will get shown the exit Cool He could run the D which would be a different look than what we are seeing.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this been mid way last year I'd be all in with you on Jeffcoat, but after breaking down several of his games I'm not nearly as impressed as I'd like to be. Matter of fact I ended up being more intrigued by Okafor.

After last season I was most impressed with Brandon Jenkins-FSU as a true pass rusher.

As for Yankey, he is a much better OG than OT and is playing at OT now to help out the team. I do like Yankey though. He is a junior so no way he comes out if he is not 1st -3rd round. I see him as a 2nd-3rd possibly 4th round type.

...you have a forum resume?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing to look at Texans; They tossed away their top 2 draft picks from 2006, Mario Williams and Demarco Ryans. Now for discussing of possible switch, there ARE two ways.

Right now ours aren't working, so two options are; GET players for 3-4 or switching scheme to utilitize defense's strength.

Both are against Steelers' traditional way so it's not Lebeau we have to worry about but traditionalists too and keep this in mind, Colbert is the mastermind who drafted those players. Either Colbert lost his touch and we are masking his mistakes by few elite players on our team OR he has an agenda for when Lebeau leave.

We either got to get rid of Hood, Timmons, and maybe James Harrison (I still feel like L. Woodley is average at 3-4 OLB but he's a top 5 in NFL, which give us more reasons to keep him) or we could switch the scheme and every defensive coordinators we have on our staffing (DB, DL, LB, assistant, etc.) all have to adapt to it. Which one is harder? I don't know. I sure don't like the idea of letting go our young players.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play:

Steelers pick 17th

1) Bjoern Werner OLB FSU
2) Max Bullough Mich St ILB
3) Tony Jefferson Oka FS
4) Spencer Long OG Neb
5) Walter Stewart OLB Cinn
6) Melvin White CB Louisiana-Lafayette
7) Joseph Fauria TE UCLA

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I'll play:

Steelers pick 17th

1) Bjoern Werner OLB FSU
2) Max Bullough Mich St ILB
3) Tony Jefferson Oka FS
4) Spencer Long OG Neb
5) Walter Stewart OLB Cinn
6) Melvin White CB Louisiana-Lafayette
7) Joseph Fauria TE UCLA

You think Warner can play standing up? I haven't seen any FSU games this year.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: