Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke? Reply with quote

I read an article a few minutes ago, talking about how Dallas has become a big punchline around the NFL.

The team with so much talent, so much spotlight, struggling to win games, blowing the big chances, and being the biggest conundrum in american sports. I could kind of see where they're coming from...just curious what everyones thoughts are.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wondering, here is the article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Jerry-Jones-Dallas-Cowboys-Americas-Joke-football-distractions-092812/

For those of you who don't want to read it is basically this:

The Cowboys are a joke because we have a Victoria Secret store in Cowboys stadium. No real. It goes on and on about how stripper poles don't win games. How Jerry is rapping and therefor the Cowboys are a joke.

Laughing

My answer to the article and your question is no, we are not a joke. Especially not for the silly reasons articulated.

We haven't had success and that's both true and frustrating. In my opinion there is not a single team out there we can't compete with. That doesn't mean we will win every game, obviously. That doesn't mean we won't get out coached or out played from game to game. But going in to each and every game on our scheduled and looking at every other team. I don't see a match-up and go, 'well I guess I should go golfing on Sunday instead of watching this clown car burn.'

Jerry - as owner is continuing to get our name out there and it's part of the reason Dallas is the most valuable franchise. That doesn't happen as a joke. What is a joke, is the article.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real question...

Is this the greatest introductory paragraph ever written...

Quote:
For every football fan desperate to buy a fresh pair of panties before settling into stadium seat for an NFL game, this is your lucky day.

Question Question Question

Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke? Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
I read an article a few minutes ago, talking about how Dallas has become a big punchline around the NFL.

The team with so much talent, so much spotlight, struggling to win games, blowing the big chances, and being the biggest conundrum in american sports. I could kind of see where they're coming from...just curious what everyones thoughts are.

Have you read my post on Corruption in the NFL?
It has become more than clear to me that this is all big buisness first, and sport second or even third behind power and prestige. Really, where do you see the dirt chewing, play in a blizzard, muddied up uniforms, Chuck-Bednerik-hands type of football anymore?
Answer: you don't!
There is more money changing hands each week between players and owners, televsion and the owners, companies vying for air time for their commercials, Vegas and gamblers around the world, fantasy football, ticket sales, parking, eats and treats at games, sports paraphanalia, etc, etc, then there is at the stock market. The list goes on and on and on.
Where in the name of Bear Bryant does "football" get a chance to breathe?
It has become a dog and pony show for the whole family. You want T & A? We got it! You want ballons and 3-D? We got it!
Where in the hell is the gum chewing, suit and tie, brain storming head coach stalking the sidelins and out smarting the opposition?
Can't we just get back to "football?" You know, breif introduction of the teams by the announcers, National Anthem, flip a coin, blow a whistle and play. Not all this replay, tv timeouts, 20 car commercials, stupid beer commercials, and now all the internet and phone commercials. It's enough to make you reach for an airsick bag.
So, has Dallas become a joke? How about, the ENTIRE league is a frickin joke! A demented masqurade perfromed live on stage each weekend. The Dallas Cowboys just happen to have the biggest stage.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jerry - as owner is continuing to get our name out there and it's part of the reason Dallas is the most valuable franchise. That doesn't happen as a joke. What is a joke, is the article.

Look I'm not going to get into this, but NO, the article is not a joke and it brings up a legit issue...

Quote:
Football is an unrelenting business. The people who excel at the Xs and Os typically are myopic. They are breaking down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters. They tend not to have side jobs, rapping in Papa John's commercials. They tend to say things like, “leave me the hell alone” when a PR person walks in floating the idea of showing up at the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the bra-and-panty store opening at the stadium before Monday Night Football.

When a football team has 1 playoff win in since 1996 and has had 6 different head coaches but only 1 GM during that time frame... it becomes a legit question. She approached the absurdity of having an NFL GM involved in pepsi, papa johns and victoria secret marketing from a comedic perspective. But, the point she makes is incredibly valid and one that I would guarantee that 75%+ of the forum agrees with...

That the Dallas Cowboys would be better off from a football perspective with a GM who was focused on "Xs and Os, breaking down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters" rather than marketing... and let Jerry the owner (not GM) market until his heart is content.

Is that really a joke to you???

Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Look I'm not going to get into this, but NO, the article is not a joke and it brings up a legit issue...

Quote:
Football is an unrelenting business. The people who excel at the Xs and Os typically are myopic. They are breaking down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters. They tend not to have side jobs, rapping in Papa John's commercials. They tend to say things like, “leave me the hell alone” when a PR person walks in floating the idea of showing up at the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the bra-and-panty store opening at the stadium before Monday Night Football.

When a football team has 1 playoff win in since 1996 and has had 6 different head coaches but only 1 GM during that time frame... it becomes a legit question. She approached the absurdity of having an NFL GM involved in pepsi, papa johns and victoria secret marketing from a comedic perspective. But, the point she makes is incredibly valid and one that I would guarantee that 75%+ of the forum agrees with...

That the Dallas Cowboys would be better off from a football perspective with a GM who was focused on "Xs and Os, breaking down film, their rosters, their opponents’ film, their opponent’s rosters" rather than marketing... and let Jerry the owner (not GM) market until his heart is content.

You know where I stand on the GM question. I want a real one.

But decisions as to who gets added to the stadium. How the stadium is built. What commercials feature the logo of the Cowboys fall under the preview of the Owner, not the GM (which regrettably are one in the same). So, yes. This article is a joke.

In Redball I Trust!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

You know where I stand on the GM question. I want a real one.

But decisions as to who gets added to the stadium. How the stadium is built. What commercials feature the logo of the Cowboys fall under the preview of the Owner, not the GM (which regrettably are one in the same). So, yes. This article is a joke.

I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of the article.

Northland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want Jerry to market my club and figure out ways to help my team make more money. I would, however, want a real GM to run the product on the field.

It really is genius though that the Cowboys remain as relevant as they are despite 1 playoff win since 1996. What other team could have such a run of futility and still be the second most valuable franchise in the world?
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Did I? The carefully crafted article articulates the view of our owner and the stadium he built has made the Cowboys franchise a Joke. Which is painfully dumb when you consider that we are the most valuable football franchise.

The few legitimate points it raises are overshadowed by the bumbling attempt to attack the ownership over non-issues.

You want to criticize Jerry as the GM and showcase why being both Owner and GM are not a good combination? Okay - there are literally thousands of ways to do so, and be right in the process.

You can take the academic approach of highlighting the positives and negatives of his tenure. Showcase that the bad in this case does outweigh the good.

You can take the comparative approach showing the last owner/gm is now 6ft under and this is a dying breed.

But when you talk about the most valuable franchise in the NFL as a joke...because of the marketing schemes of the owner and somehow try to twist that into saying how he sucks as a GM is laughable. It is honestly a poor attempt at journalism.

You can, I promise you, start a poll asking if people would want Jerry to stay as GM - and well over the majority would want him gone. But this article was stupid.

"The Cowboys are a joke." Okay, why.

"Well Jerry has added underwear and stripper poles to the stadium." Umm...wait, what.

"His marketing attempts are awful."

What. Is. This. I don't. Even...

"He can't do the job of Owner and GM properly." Okay...some logic.

"While the Giants win we are opening up stores in Jerry World." DAFUQ!

"Pushup bras will just distract you from the fact we are not winning." Wow. Okay...

Slam. You can't possibly take this article as serious. It in it self is a joke.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
I'd want Jerry to market my club and figure out ways to help my team make more money. I would, however, want a real GM to run the product on the field.

The vast majority share this sentiment.

In Redball I Trust!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ignore Stephen Jones though, guys. For all the crust Jerry Jones gets, Stephen Jones has become the film-watcher, gameplan studier, player scouting GM that Jerry has never been. It's a big reason why our drafts seem to suck a little bit less each season, I think.

Jokes and opinion on the matter aside, S. Jones has become the balancing force a little bit at GM. And it's not very easy to find a good GM in this league. For every Pioli there's 5 ... Jerry Joneses. Razz

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think its a big deal. Like, at all. As an owner, Jerry is about as good as they come. If he thinks this is a way for us to make money, then I am all for it. As others have mentioned, I do want a real GM. But for an OWNER of a football team to be doing this, I have no issues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Did I? The carefully crafted article articulates the view of our owner and the stadium he built has made the Cowboys franchise a Joke. Which is painfully dumb when you consider that we are the most valuable football franchise.

The few legitimate points it raises are overshadowed by the bumbling attempt to attack the ownership over non-issues.

You want to criticize Jerry as the GM and showcase why being both Owner and GM are not a good combination? Okay - there are literally thousands of ways to do so, and be right in the process.

You can take the academic approach of highlighting the positives and negatives of his tenure. Showcase that the bad in this case does outweigh the good.

You can take the comparative approach showing the last owner/gm is now 6ft under and this is a dying breed.

But when you talk about the most valuable franchise in the NFL as a joke...because of the marketing schemes of the owner and somehow try to twist that into saying how he sucks as a GM is laughable. It is honestly a poor attempt at journalism.

You can, I promise you, start a poll asking if people would want Jerry to stay as GM - and well over the majority would want him gone. But this article was stupid.

"The Cowboys are a joke." Okay, why.

"Well Jerry has added underwear and stripper poles to the stadium." Umm...wait, what.

"His marketing attempts are awful."

What. Is. This. I don't. Even...

"He can't do the job of Owner and GM properly." Okay...some logic.

"While the Giants win we are opening up stores in Jerry World." DAFUQ!

"Pushup bras will just distract you from the fact we are not winning." Wow. Okay...

Slam. You can't possibly take this article as serious. It in it self is a joke.

Yep, you definitely missed the point of the article. She's not attacking Jerry Jones, the owner. In fact, she calls him a "great owner" and "he is always thinking of ways to generate cash and always willing to spend that cash on his Cowboys." She actually agrees that all of the marketing things he's is doing is great for an owner to do.

She's critical of Jerry from a GM only perspective. Her point is that GMs whose sole purpose is to win football games don't get side tracked with all of the other BS. And, she is also saying that it shows up on the field which is why Dallas has only won 1 playoff game since 1996. She basically makes the same point that I have been making for a long time... Since 1996, the Cowboys have only won 1 playoff game. During that time frame, Dallas has had 6 head coaches but only 1 GM. In other words, the head coaches have been the fall guys for one bad GM.

In a nutshell, she basically makes that point that when Jimmy Johnson was in charge of player acquisition etc, it was fine for Jerry to get involved in everything else because there was still a football guy running the football team. Since Jimmy left, Jerry has been too focused on everything that would make him a great owner and not focused enough on what would make him a great GM. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of the forum agree with that point. There are only 5 of you that would probably disagree.

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Don't ignore Stephen Jones though, guys. For all the crust Jerry Jones gets, Stephen Jones has become the film-watcher, gameplan studier, player scouting GM that Jerry has never been. It's a big reason why our drafts seem to suck a little bit less each season, I think.

Jokes and opinion on the matter aside, S. Jones has become the balancing force a little bit at GM. And it's not very easy to find a good GM in this league. For every Pioli there's 5 ... Jerry Joneses. Razz

Our drafts have sucked less but I'm not ready to put that on Stephen Jones just yet. I would lean more toward Garrett at this point.

Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

Our drafts have sucked less but I'm not ready to put that on Stephen Jones just yet. I would lean more toward Garrett at this point.

The puppet coach? Odd.

Quote:
Yep, you definitely missed the point of the article. She's not attacking Jerry Jones, the owner. In fact, she calls him a "great owner" and "he is always thinking of ways to generate cash and always willing to spend that cash on his Cowboys." She actually agrees that all of the marketing things he's is doing is great for an owner to do.

She's critical of Jerry from a GM only perspective. Her point is that GMs whose sole purpose is to win football games don't get side tracked with all of the other BS. And, she is also saying that it shows up on the field which is why Dallas has only won 1 playoff game since 1996. She basically makes the same point that I have been making for a long time... Since 1996, the Cowboys have only won 1 playoff game. During that time frame, Dallas has had 6 head coaches but only 1 GM. In other words, the head coaches have been the fall guys for one bad GM.

In a nutshell, she basically makes that point that when Jimmy Johnson was in charge of player acquisition etc, it was fine for Jerry to get involved in everything else because there was still a football guy running the football team. Since Jimmy left, Jerry has been too focused on everything that would make him a great owner and not focused enough on what would make him a great GM. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of the forum agree with that point. There are only 5 of you that would probably disagree.

Her making 1 finite point in a rambling article of dribble does not make her article valid.

Like I said - there are several fantastic ways to be critical of Jerry in the capacity of Owner and GM. This article is a poor representation of it. 90% of the articles sound like the mad rantings of someone who never got to go to Prom. 10% of lucid thought does not change that.

In Redball I Trust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: