Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stephen Tulloch fined $21,000 by the league
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Stephen Tulloch fined $21,000 by the league Reply with quote

Quote:
Week 3 NFL Fines: #Lions LB Stephen Tulloch was fined $21,000 for helmet-to-helmet hit on #Titans TE Craig Stevens.

https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates
Tom Brady Tribute
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and...

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
and...

Grass is green.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with this. It was clearly a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Team Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Yep. We all saw it. He got flagged. We knew a fine was coming. Not sure why this is a thread, especially since theres no discussion involved in the OP.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Yep. We all saw it. He got flagged. We knew a fine was coming. Not sure why this is a thread, especially since theres no discussion involved in the OP.

Eh. You go to other forums, and fans of clear penalties are up in arms about how they're targeted by the league.

It's news. I don't see a problem with the thread: if we want it to die, we should just let it die.

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Billy posts this kind of news in all teams forums. Personally if it's solid news like this and not speculation I appreciate it

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still annoyed by the leagues fine policy. I didn't see the hit so I can't comment on this one exactly but I still think fines should be for obvious vicious plays. It's a penalty, the player and team suffer for the act during the game, fining them on top of that is just dumb. Are they going to start fining hockey players every time they go to the penalty box? Or basketball players every time they get a foul? It's dumb, and overdone and obviously isn't helping get rid of it. These are plays that happen due to the nature of the game. Fines should be for extra late hits, stomping on people or throwing punches.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still annoyed by the leagues fine policy. I didn't see the hit so I can't comment on this one exactly but I still think fines should be for obvious vicious plays. It's a penalty, the player and team suffer for the act during the game, fining them on top of that is just dumb. Are they going to start fining hockey players every time they go to the penalty box? Or basketball players every time they get a foul? It's dumb, and overdone and obviously isn't helping get rid of it. These are plays that happen due to the nature of the game. Fines should be for extra late hits, stomping on people or throwing punches.

No offense, but I strongly disagree with your examples here. Tulloch clearly lowered his helmet into the defensive player's helmet on a reception (while the receiver was defenseless). It wasn't pretty. A play like that has a serious chance of causing career-ending damage, especially in this concussion age. Anything they can do to deter players from making hits like that needs to be done. (Penalties aren't enough.)

Just a note: the NHL fines players for illegal hits as well.

Team Stylish
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise for Tully, he had to be expecting a fine after the hit he put on.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Spikes posts in our forum. All he is doing is putting the news out there for us so we know whats going on. He's not trolling or trying to incite in anyway. Just letting us know the news.

Sometimes we are a very disrespectful forum.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

No offense, but I strongly disagree with your examples here. Tulloch clearly lowered his helmet into the defensive player's helmet on a reception (while the receiver was defenseless). It wasn't pretty. A play like that has a serious chance of causing career-ending damage, especially in this concussion age. Anything they can do to deter players from making hits like that needs to be done. (Penalties aren't enough.)

Notice I said I didn't see the Tulloch play so wasn't commenting just on that, just the fines in general. Fines like Wendling's. it's like the fine every player for every 15 yard penalty. And a lot of the time it's a defensive player going for a hit and the offensive player gets low while the defender is allready coming at him. Hits like Brandon Merriweather last hear and Mundy on DHB are more what should be fined. The fact these plays happen every week, in every game just shows they are the nature of the beast. When two guys are going full speed, these hits will happen. They aren't dirty plays, they are heat of the battle plays.

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Notice I said I didn't see the Tulloch play so wasn't commenting just on that, just the fines in general. Fines like Wendling's. it's like the fine every player for every 15 yard penalty. And a lot of the time it's a defensive player going for a hit and the offensive player gets low while the defender is allready coming at him. Hits like Brandon Merriweather last hear and Mundy on DHB are more what should be fined. The fact these plays happen every week, in every game just shows they are the nature of the beast. When two guys are going full speed, these hits will happen. They aren't dirty plays, they are heat of the battle plays.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I think part of it might be that this new helmet-to-helmet crackdown is a relatively new thing: for most of their football careers, hitting helmet-to-helmet led to a huge, highlight reel hit. Now, it's illegal.

I hate most of the other fines, though... I just understand why these brutal, career-ending hits are being phased out of the sport.

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my big thing is that the helmet is right next to the shoulder pads. When some one leads with the shoulder pads and the ball carrier ducks or squats or starts to go down, the shoulder now becomes helmet to helmet hits. And a lot of those have been fined. I think it's ridiculous that the sport hands out 30 fines a week for hits. That's obviously just part of the game and the penalty flag is enough, just like a penalty is enough in hockey for a cross check or trip.

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Yeah, my big thing is that the helmet is right next to the shoulder pads. When some one leads with the shoulder pads and the ball carrier ducks or squats or starts to go down, the shoulder now becomes helmet to helmet hits. And a lot of those have been fined. I think it's ridiculous that the sport hands out 30 fines a week for hits. That's obviously just part of the game and the penalty flag is enough, just like a penalty is enough in hockey for a cross check or trip.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think that (most of the time) the fined player is the victim here. They have options when approaching a receiver who's in the act of catching a pass, and some of them prefer the kill shot. If they form tackle, they can usually avoid helmet to helmet contact.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with the NHL here: they fine players for cross-checking as well.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: