Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darrelle Revis Knee Injury: Torn ACL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47600
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
green24 wrote:
It's sad because this looked like it might have been the season that Revis finally wins DPOY.
No. Just no. At this point anyone not named Watt would be a joke.

If Revis were able to play more than one game, he'd have a better argument too.

He was already well on his way by dominating Stevie.


Except not at all?

JJ Watt is three steps ahead of every defensive player right now. The only one who comes close is Ware.[/quote]

Watt is way ahead of everyone righ nowt, but we're only three weeks into the season. Remember how everyone thought Clay Matthews was a shoo-in after two weeks in 2010?
_________________


#TeamManfred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13114
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
I think the loss of Revis is overstated. Certainly a HUGE loss for any team but we play the AFC south and the NFC West, what top QBs/passing teams do we play? Ok NE, Houston, after that is VERY soft. I guess the Chargers but after that it is a huge drop off.

I think losing Revis is bad but our problems before are still our problems now. We need our LB core to be more athletic. We need our front line to get a push on passing downs. We need our receivers to get open. We need a running game.


You'd have a point with the first paragraph if this were any other team.

The Jets will live and die by their defense and their defense lives and dies by the success of their man coverage. Cromartie is going to lose against #1s a lot more often than Revis, and putting Wilson and whoever your dime CB was as the nickel is just asking to be lit up.

This is why the whole Jets scheme is massively flawed. Al Davis made it abundantly clear 20 years ago that you can't maintain success overpaying for CBs. You need to build in the trenches and front 7, not back 7.



Jets are something like 4-1, 3-1 without Revis. Rex isn't a stupid coach, he is going to change his game plan for an absent Revis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19870
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
I think the loss of Revis is overstated. Certainly a HUGE loss for any team but we play the AFC south and the NFC West, what top QBs/passing teams do we play? Ok NE, Houston, after that is VERY soft. I guess the Chargers but after that it is a huge drop off.

I think losing Revis is bad but our problems before are still our problems now. We need our LB core to be more athletic. We need our front line to get a push on passing downs. We need our receivers to get open. We need a running game.


You'd have a point with the first paragraph if this were any other team.

The Jets will live and die by their defense and their defense lives and dies by the success of their man coverage. Cromartie is going to lose against #1s a lot more often than Revis, and putting Wilson and whoever your dime CB was as the nickel is just asking to be lit up.

This is why the whole Jets scheme is massively flawed. Al Davis made it abundantly clear 20 years ago that you can't maintain success overpaying for CBs. You need to build in the trenches and front 7, not back 7.

Jetsman82 wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
green24 wrote:
It's sad because this looked like it might have been the season that Revis finally wins DPOY.
No. Just no. At this point anyone not named Watt would be a joke.

If Revis were able to play more than one game, he'd have a better argument too.

He was already well on his way by dominating Stevie.


Except not at all?

JJ Watt is three steps ahead of every defensive player right now. The only one who comes close is Ware.

Except Davis didn't have a CB that was on Revis' level, nor did Davis do that in an era like today, which is much more passer friendly. Usually, building from the back end is a mistake, but Revis is a historical talent, and you can always build around players like that.

Also, how can you say at all if Revis wouldn't be in the conversation with Watt had he not gotten hurt? You honestly can't, but you're going to anyway. Revis had a fantastic week one, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't have continued that success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tonyto3690


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 5506
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:

Jetsman82 wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
green24 wrote:
It's sad because this looked like it might have been the season that Revis finally wins DPOY.
No. Just no. At this point anyone not named Watt would be a joke.

If Revis were able to play more than one game, he'd have a better argument too.

He was already well on his way by dominating Stevie.


Except not at all?

JJ Watt is three steps ahead of every defensive player right now. The only one who comes close is Ware.

Except Davis didn't have a CB that was on Revis' level, nor did Davis do that in an era like today, which is much more passer friendly. Usually, building from the back end is a mistake, but Revis is a historical talent, and you can always build around players like that.

Also, how can you say at all if Revis wouldn't be in the conversation with Watt had he not gotten hurt? You honestly can't, but you're going to anyway. Revis had a fantastic week one, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't have continued that success.

Actually Davis had multiple hof players in his secondaries including the goat cb duo ever. You might want to brush up on your history.

Because watt is dominating at another level and frankly you need stats to win and revis doesn't get stats because teams always target cromartie, the lbs and the safeties
_________________
C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19870
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Davis had great CB's, but my point still stands that Revis is on another level.

Speaking of history, the Raiders had a ridiculous amount of success in the 80's with those players. So your argument was that Davis made a mistake by paying CB's that ended up being a huge part of their SB winning teams?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glenearl18


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 374
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyto is correct that Revis had no realistic shot at winning DPOY.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't have deserved it; just means that the awards people don't have functioning brains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47600
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?

_________________


#TeamManfred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


I don't think it matters because nobody on lesser level can play above average at CB. Power of 52.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8573
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


Rex is an idiot.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19870
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, who cares?

I don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7272
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


Wow. So we are going to waste a roster spot for the year instead of taking a shot at another young guy or bring white back?

I'm trying so hard to stay confident that we will make the playoffs this year. Like I said before, I just want us to at least compete the next two weeks. Tired of us getting our [inappropriate/removed] kicked in big games during the regular season. The toughest teams on the schedule after this is the Pats, cardinals, and Seahawks.
_________________

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
moham-17


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 3935
Location: The Boro
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


This counts for nothing until we get there; and unless Mark finally becomes a top 5-franchise QB, there's a 99.9% chance we're not going to.
_________________
JetsfanDan on Point:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
The DMV is the worst place ever. They are even more unpopular than Manish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GangGreen420


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 2655
Location: FL
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


Rex is an idiot.


+1.

He's gonna get a free pass this year too because of the injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GangGreen420


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 2655
Location: FL
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
LINK

Revis may not be done.
Rex Ryan wrote:
Let's see what happens when he goes through surgery, because if there's that 0.0002 percent chance that he could play in a Super Bowl or something, why would you take that option away from him?


Wow. So we are going to waste a roster spot for the year instead of taking a shot at another young guy or bring white back?

I'm trying so hard to stay confident that we will make the playoffs this year. Like I said before, I just want us to at least compete the next two weeks. Tired of us getting our [inappropriate/removed] kicked in big games during the regular season. The toughest teams on the schedule after this is the Pats, cardinals, and Seahawks.


The Texans are going to destroy the Jets. They'll drop 40 on us with their balance on offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group