Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is your opinion on the Panther's draft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Higgs Boson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: What is your opinion on the Panther's draft? Reply with quote

Hey, guys! You'll probably see me post in here a lot. I'm living in Charlotte but originally from Philly... and I cannot stand the sports radio here and you guys really seem to know what's going on.

So what do you think of your draft? (I know it's early)

Well, my Carolina friends hated it, but I can't really trust their football opinions. They don't think you guys addressed needs in the secondary and DLine, and that Silatolu and Adams will be colossal busts. Again, I can't trust their opinions, that's why I'm turning to you.

I just remember liking Kuechly for Philly and you guys (I think) liking Fletcher Cox. But anyway, what are your early thoughts? What would you change?
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're only three games into the season. not going to suggest any changes.

all but one player are getting significant snaps. lots of flashes for big potential. but they, like the rest of the team, are inconsistent.

norman had pretty good games in the first two weeks. amini was an animal in week 2. keek has shown his affinity for getting to screens and being a good tackler. alexander has trees for arms and is already our top guy in the DE rotation. nortman seems like a good coffin corner guy but doesn't have the big time leg. adams has had a couple good punt returns but i dislike him doing kicks and he's gotta fix the whole fumbling thing. dj campbell has been inactive.

i didn't have any preferences heading into the draft so whatever. seemed good to me at the time and i still like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Kuechly- hasn't made a signature play yet but still starting
Amini Silatolu - doing ok, good game vs Saints
Frank Alexander- Bringing the pressure in rotation, few of batted passes
Joe Adams- Had a bad fumble on KR but he's been decent in PR
Josh Norman- starting, still learning but is an improvement
Brad Nortman- punter, doing well

I don't know many teams that are including so many rookies in their game plans. It's good for them, probably indicates something not so good about the rest of the team. I could see four starters that are improvements over the veterans they replaced.
UKpantherfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What strikes me is that we drafted a bunch of guys at positions where it often takes rookies a full season or more to get up to speed.

LBs can't all be like Patrick Willis and often only really show up consistently in their second year.

Guards, Receivers, Corners and DEs are often exactly the same - not performing like mega stars / veterans by wk8 isn't a concern for me. Have they shown progression? Have they learnt from anything they've seen or done in the first half of the season? If they have then don't worry. If they're making the same rookie mistakes then you might want to start thinking ahead to the draft/offseason.

Luke, Josh and Joe have certainly looked like rookies at times but we're only three games in! Let's review at wk8 and even then I'd certainly not throw any of these rookies under a bus if they aren't all headline stealing by then.

If they haven't shown the progress you want then maybe decrease their roles and make them focus on fixing whatever's wrong in practice but I'd give all of these guys until into their 2nd season before abandoning them or labelling them as busts simply due to their position.

So in summary, when all is said and done we may not see the true reflection of this draft's crop of players until the start/middle of next season - and I have no worries with that. Draft a few more instant contributors next year and '13 will be awesome. This has all the marks of a rebuilding season already but I'm a patient man.
UKpantherfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also interested to see what makes you think Amini and Joe will be collossal busts.

Amini was drafted in 2nd round when most of us were screaming for DT help but Joe was drafted in the 4th round so even if he doesn't work out, I wouldn't call that kind of failure a collossal bust.
Higgs Boson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I've got no opinion on them. I've only caught one Panthers game this season. It's just what I've heard my friends say, but you guys are so much more insightful, that's why I came here to see what your thoughts are.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this years draft class is going to go down as one of the best ever in the franchise. Josh Norman is a steal is going to be a starter for us for a long time. We also picked up what will be one of the best LB's in the game in addition to mauling road grader in Amini.

Joe Adams is a play maker is going to score points and finally give us the returner we've been waiting for since Steve Smith did it.

However I think last years draft class sucked. The only player we got was Cam and perhaps Brandon Hogan who hasn't proven anything. The 2009 draft class was by far the worst. None of those guys are on the roster anymore except Martin and Munnerlyn who are not starters.

We did okay in 2010. Lafell, Gettis, and Hardy are all contributors.
Punisher1380

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keek - hes doing very good as a rookie he plays coverage well and hes a solid tackler!

Amini - He is a freak/beast gonna end up being a pro bowl Guard as our offensive line gets healthy (byron bell) and they all begin to mesh he will grow!

Joe - after he gets over the rookie gitters and adapts to the speed of the nfl he will get back to the super exciting return man that he was in college!

Frank - His motor is EXTREMELY high and with the guys we have now at DE were gonna have a NYG type of D Line we just severly need to find some DT's but keeping a good rotation at DE is really gonna help our D Line and Frank is gonna be a huge part of it!

Josh - Norman could possibly become the best player we drafted this year! hes been tested against top QB's in the league and IMO he has done a very good job against Top WR's! Atlanta game will show alot as he covers julio jones!

Nortman - Glad we went with youth in our Special Teams, Nortman looks like a good young P for the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: