Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick49er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

I just dont think we used our first two picks wisely this year.

Jenkins and James might turn out to be great players in the future, but is it the right call to draft players who wont even contribute in year 1.

Cordy Glenn should have been picked up in the 1st in my opinon. He would have given us depth on the o-line at tackle and guard.

James was brought in to be our Darren Sproles, but i cant see him contributing this year..... Jacobs has been out all year so far and still James has been left out.

We still have Ginn to come back at WR before Jenkins as well due to his returning ability.

Will we even get a chance to see either of them this year.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you return the amount of players we did on both sides of the ball along with adding some positional players, you don't need to draft for the present. Our O-line has been playing well and was Glenn ever going to get the starting spot at LT? No, and Anthony Davis is playing up to his potential and may make the pro bowl this season. James and Jenkins will both get their time next year. Last season our rookie class was awesome but that also meant less competition at those positions. We will be fine.................................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
When you return the amount of players we did on both sides of the ball along with adding some positional players, you don't need to draft for the present. Our O-line has been playing well and was Glenn ever going to get the starting spot at LT? No, and Anthony Davis is playing up to his potential and may make the pro bowl this season. James and Jenkins will both get their time next year.

I agree with everything you said. Going off last year and this year our coaching staff has shown they like to bring up rookies slow. Aldon last year didn't get a lot of snaps till the 4th week and was never the starter. It's just the way the staff runs things, so theirs no reason to write Jenkins and James off so early.

^Kempes^
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:

Jenkins and James might turn out to be great players in the future,

There. That's why we drafted them.

Baalke did an amazing job as a GM since Scot McLaughingAtHimOnTheWayOut left. Our roster was already full of talent, and he managed to reel in free agents who were not guaranteed a roster spot to sign with us. Randy Moss wasn't guaranteed a roster spot, but he earned it, in my opinion. Rock Cartright is a great veteran, back up and special teamer, and we didn't even keep him.

So, we can see how bad teams (just like we were not so long ago) have to start their rookies, because the assumption is that the guy with no experience is already better than what they had. We are a good team, and we DON'T have to play the guys with no experience, because they're not better than what we have YET. Jenkins and James are not disappointing so far. They're just the victims of a great roster. Next year, they should force Baalrbaugh to make tough decisions. But it wasn't a tough decision to let the better players play this year.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that we should say the entire OL has done well... Staley has regressed and Iupati was a little iffy last week and we know Goodwin is only a stop-gap solution.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Glenn could have been a beast at guard next to Davis.
But we always these, I wish we got _____ instead.

I know I was super pist we didn't trade up for Decastro when he fell.
But I think skipping on crick might have been a big one. If we stayed put on looney. We traded up 8 spots with Detroit, if we disnt he would have been right there and we would have got him right before Houston. Idk if it was his injury but I know some of us thought he could go 1.
Looney could be great though. But with us knowing he would miss time with his injury and still trading up to get him... Balke must expect big things from him.

They still have a lot of time.
But I like this thread. We can see our reactions down the line. We should just bump this every so often. And see how our reactions have changed.

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
I don't know that we should say the entire OL has done well... Staley has regressed and Iupati was a little iffy last week and we know Goodwin is only a stop-gap solution.

Iupati had a few bad plays against the Vikings but for the most part he has been playing well. Goodwin for as much hate he gets is actually holding his own through three weeks. Boone had an off game against the Vikings but been very pleased with the right side of the O-line. Staley is the one player from the line that has to pick it up. Granted, he's faced some tough challenges but that's why we are paying him top money. Overall, you don't think the O-line is playing well? We are rated in the top 5 in terms of pass protection according to PFF. My point was Cordy Glenn was not a realistic addition at LT or RT. Now, everyone was unsure of our RG position so on a few mock drafts we were taking a guard in the first two rounds. However, Alex Boone has that position on lock fr years to come....................................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

Iupati had a few bad plays against the Vikings but for the most part he has been playing well. Goodwin for as much hate he gets is actually holding his own through three weeks. Boone had an off game against the Vikings but been very pleased with the right side of the O-line. Staley is the one player from the line that has to pick it up. Granted, he's faced some tough challenges but that's why we are paying him top money. Overall, you don't think the O-line is playing well? We are rated in the top 5 in terms of pass protection according to PFF. My point was Cordy Glenn was not a realistic addition at LT or RT. Now, everyone was unsure of our RG position so on a few mock drafts we were taking a guard in the first two rounds. However, Alex Boone has that position on lock fr years to come....................................

I'm not saying they're terrible, but Goodwin rarely gets any movement on his man and Staley has had 2 rather bad games, Iupati had some moments as well as Boone...that's all.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

Staley has faced some tough opposition, but it's the type of players we're going to face in the playoffs, should we make it. He's a player I'll be watching closely because he's my #1 worry this year. I could see AD over taking him as our LT in a year or so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:

Jenkins and James might turn out to be great players in the future, but is it the right call to draft players who wont even contribute in year 1.

Cordy Glenn should have been picked up in the 1st in my opinon. He would have given us depth on the o-line at tackle and guard.

James was brought in to be our Darren Sproles, but i cant see him contributing this year..... Jacobs has been out all year so far and still James has been left out.

We still have Ginn to come back at WR before Jenkins as well due to his returning ability.

Seems you're being a bit inconsistent in your point. You wanted Glenn for depth? Doesn't that mean he might be a great player in the future too. I liked Glenn and would have been happy if we drafted him. But I'd much rather we got explosive players. Our offense was really lacking speed and big-play ability. And James and Jenkins bring that. I wouldn't worry at all that they are not playing early. They've got a lot of offense to learn, and our coaches are so risk-averse they are not likely to put the ball in the hands of guys who are still shaky on the offense. Why don't you re-visit this post at the end of the year and see whether you'd still rather have Glenn as depth instead of James or Jenkins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:

Seems you're being a bit inconsistent in your point. You wanted Glenn for depth? Doesn't that mean he might be a great player in the future too. I liked Glenn and would have been happy if we drafted him. But I'd much rather we got explosive players. Our offense was really lacking speed and big-play ability. And James and Jenkins bring that. I wouldn't worry at all that they are not playing early. They've got a lot of offense to learn, and our coaches are so risk-averse they are not likely to put the ball in the hands of guys who are still shaky on the offense. Why don't you re-visit this post at the end of the year and see whether you'd still rather have Glenn as depth instead of James or Jenkins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Staley, the rest of the O-line has been damn good. Have they had bad plays here and there? Sure, but who hasn't? People are looking for a perfect O-line but that's just not going to happen. As good as Willis and Bowman have been, on a few plays they have been beat or missed a tackle or two. Like I said, the offensive line has been much better than last year and we are ranked in the top 5.

Yep, Staley has faced tough opposition but he is also getting paid big bucks. Needs to step up in pass protection but has been solid in the run game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried about 3 years from now when talking about these guys, not 3 weeks into their rookie campaigns.

-kiltman
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
I'm worried about 3 years from now when talking about these guys, not 3 weeks into their rookie campaigns.

Ha! Yeah, lets worry about this draft class in three years and not in the first month of the NFL season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing our draft after 3 weeks Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
So, we can see how bad teams (just like we were not so long ago) have to start their rookies, because the assumption is that the guy with no experience is already better than what they had. We are a good team, and we DON'T have to play the guys with no experience, because they're not better than what we have YET. Jenkins and James are not disappointing so far. They're just the victims of a great roster. Next year, they should force Baalrbaugh to make tough decisions. But it wasn't a tough decision to let the better players play this year.

Rudy knows what's up.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: