Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I was wrong about Weeden. (Fire Shurmer!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:

The actual coaching for Shurmur isn't the issue. I think it is everything leading up to the game (ie see scripted plays and such).

You aren't scripting 4th quarter plays.

His late game playcalling was atrocious.

Actually his late game playcalling isn't bad when you are playing from behind what do you expect to happen? It is horrible when they come out and are so predictable to start the game (see the buffalo game). Tonight was much better but still left some to be desired.

Tonight was better, but Shurmur absolutely forgets Richardson after halftime.

He is playing from behind most of the time.

Also the Ravens tonight were putting 8 in the box after half time to stop Richardson. Once we couldn't stop them on the opening drive and we went down 15-7 is when we started throwing.

It seems he (shurmur) knows our defense isn't that good and if a team comes out and scores on us like that after half-time he assumes that he has to answer it or we get blown out.

Playing from behind doesn't mean you have to abandon the run.

52 passes is absurd, no matter how you slice it.

Your offense shouldn't change because you are down 10 with a quarter left.

Yes it should. You are down 10 with a quarter left. Lets say the average scoring drive takes 5 - 6 minutes you need 2 of those and therefore need to limit the other team to 1 - 2 drives in the quarter. You need 2 scores and quick you throw the football.

This isn't 1970 when you run 40 times and throw 20.

Sorry to all the "older" generation throwing the football is the wave of the future. Running the ball is getting less and less important. That is why it was completely dumb to pick a RB in the top 10 of the draft.

The only thing that is dumb is the idea that the RB position is "devalued".

The 10th highest paid RB in the league is making an average of $8M per season.

The top 4 make $10-12M per season.

And all those contracts were signed within the last three years.

Quite far from "devalued".

I think he means "devalued" by fans and some media who discovered recently that the average "shelf-life" of a RB is a few months shorter than many other positions. And hey, that 2008 RB draft class happens every year right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richardson has averaged 1 TD scored per every 22 carries... yet he averages 16 carries per game.

Why are we always abandoning the run? He is a play-maker, put the ball in his hands! And WHY do we throw on 1st down on every freaking series? Are we throwing the ball to loosen up the passing game?

Shurmur blows my mind. He should seriously worry about clock management and challenges, let Chilly call the plays.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
tricklogic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping they would go to him more in the 2nd half. I was hoping he'd break one late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. He had 2 catches that went for first downs, kind of clutch. He looked like a bowling ball and with a couple of runs late I think he would've broke one.
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Richardson has averaged 1 TD scored per every 22 carries... yet he averages 16 carries per game.

Why are we always abandoning the run? He is a play-maker, put the ball in his hands! And WHY do we throw on 1st down on every freaking series? Are we throwing the ball to loosen up the passing game?

Shurmur blows my mind. He should seriously worry about clock management and challenges, let Chilly call the plays.

Now, I'm not trying to say Shurmur is a great coach or anything, it's just that after the RB gets stuffed for a 2 yards loss on 1st down (not saying it's TRich's fault either), it's not too smart to run again on 2nd and 12.

And when you are down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, you probably want to think pass first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
NickZambo wrote:

Now, I'm not trying to say Shurmur is a great coach or anything, it's just that after the RB gets stuffed for a 2 yards loss on 1st down (not saying it's TRich's fault either), it's not too smart to run again on 2nd and 12.

And when you are down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, you probably want to think pass first.

I get what you are saying, but if you aren't completing passes on 1st down, you are basically trying to convert 10 yards on 2 downs. Honestly, do you think it's realistic that Richardson is more likely to lose 2 yards or a receiver is more likely to drop a pass on 1st & 10... Plus the dude doesn't fumble.

And can anyone research how many draw plays we had? I am betting we had about zero. Mix in a draw on 1st down, I mean you are throwing on 1st down 67% of the time, might as well disguise the run.

NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a whole, our offensive scheming is just a mess. Baltimore had 9 in the box for most of the night. Yet, for almost the entire night, we either tried short passes or running plays. You can't throw 4 yard passes against a team that is stacking nine in the box. When they put that many guys up on the line, you have to try to throw the ball down-field and hope that your guys can keep your quarterback on his feet. We saw on one or two drives, starting with the down-field pass to Little on the 90+ yard drive, that we can make some plays if we try to air it out. You have to keep a defense honest and can't let them just send everyone at you every time. Otherwise you can't run the ball or have an intermediate passing game. I'm sick of watching this Childress/Shurmur offense. Honestly, I'm not sure who is more responsible. I'm not going to say that players like Little, Weeden, and our horrendous offensive guards are not individually responsible to a high degree for shortcomings this year. However, our game-planning is ugly, and I can't imagine a scenario where either man responsible stays on this team going into next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
As a whole, our offensive scheming is just a mess. Baltimore had 9 in the box for most of the night. Yet, for almost the entire night, we either tried short passes or running plays. You can't throw 4 yard passes against a team that is stacking nine in the box. When they put that many guys up on the line, you have to try to throw the ball down-field and hope that your guys can keep your quarterback on his feet. We saw on one or two drives, starting with the down-field pass to Little on the 90+ yard drive, that we can make some plays if we try to air it out. You have to keep a defense honest and can't let them just send everyone at you every time. Otherwise you can't run the ball or have an intermediate passing game. I'm sick of watching this Childress/Shurmur offense. Honestly, I'm not sure who is more responsible. I'm not going to say that players like Little, Weeden, and our horrendous offensive guards are not individually responsible to a high degree for shortcomings this year. However, our game-planning is ugly, and I can't imagine a scenario where either man responsible stays on this team going into next year.

Well said but it's on the coach to do something about Little's drops going forward. If they are stacking the box, we have to throw the ball to receivers, yet they are consistently dropping the ball. Shoot, line Richardson up at WR like Baltimore does with Rice, bet they dont stack the box knowing #33 isnt going to run it. Heck, if they line Richardson up at WR they can even motion Cribbs in the backfield if they want to run the ball.

Shurmur cant just empty threat to bench Little, and then watch him go out and drop about 4 passes. Is he just going to point the "I'll bench you finger" again... Bench him. Make him earn it, what does Shurmur have to lose????

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wjo ate you homna bench him for..... Gordon he needs to observe and eork on his routes, norwood and his 4 drops....? Benji i like but is not ready to see thatany snaps imo.... Who?

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

NickZambo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Wjo ate you homna bench him for..... Gordon he needs to observe and eork on his routes, norwood and his 4 drops....? Benji i like but is not ready to see thatany snaps imo.... Who?

If Massaqoui is healthy and Cribbs dome stays on his shoulders, Little is benched after this performance.

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

If Massaqoui is healthy and Cribbs dome stays on his shoulders, Little is benched after this performance.

If that were even remotely true, there's no way Little would have taken 90% of the offensive snaps last night (64 of 71).

Next closest was Benjamin (45 snaps or 63%) and then Gordon (30 snaps or 42%).

Maybe benched to start the game, just to make a point, but the sad thing is we can't afford to have him out even if we're at full strength.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

If that were even remotely true, there's no way Little would have taken 90% of the offensive snaps last night (64 of 71).

Maybe benched to start the game, just to make a point, but the sad thing is we can't afford to have him out even if we're at full strength.

Sad but true. Shurmer and Weeden did enough to win us this game, it's all on the receivers, IMO. We had a depressing # of drops - Little's potential TD was merely the highest profile one. I actually felt bad for Weeden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

I'd be fine with him sitting for a series or two to try to drive home the point.

Fact of the matter is Little's job is safe this year, as it should be for the most part, but this isn't a permanent gig. If he doesn't get his chit together, the FO will be looking for at LEAST some competition for him.

Not to mention, Gordon and Benjamin's roles may expand.

You can't drop one for every 2 you catch.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Typing on your phone? Laughing

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Typing on your phone? Laughing

Yes...... Haha. I saw it after I posted it and was like wtf

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the route that Benjamin ran on the pick6 was also terrible. You really have to sell routes better than that and make your cuts more crisp. While Weeden shouldn't have thrown that, it may have been fine if the CB actually had to think about what Benjamin was running.

Vince Lombardi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: