Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL=Professional Wrestling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
I'd actually argue that some of the NFL could possibly be scripted. It seems like some players have big games when family deaths/illnesses are made public (torrey smith, brett favre?), or how Strahan got a ring the year he was likely going to retire...things like that make the drama of the NFL fun for fans to follow and be part of while they watch. But doesn't it seem too coincidental?

Not saying it's scripted, just that it could very likely be an odd possibility.

Then again, we'd all hear from it from ex-players and current players alike if it was true. So I'd say, probably not. But still, could be.

You can throw in the Patriots winning the SB after 9/11 after decades of sucking

YES, see, that is another good example of the drama TV aspect I was getting at

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't say these things were scripted, as that would be virtually impossible to do in a 60-minute game and with dozens and dozens of players involved. However, it's possible the NFL could influence the outcome of the game, mostly in terms of the officiating (Bettis getting his ring is the biggest one, as the Steelers didn't deserve to win that game).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
I'd actually argue that some of the NFL could possibly be scripted. It seems like some players have big games when family deaths/illnesses are made public (torrey smith, brett favre?), or how Strahan got a ring the year he was likely going to retire...things like that make the drama of the NFL fun for fans to follow and be part of while they watch. But doesn't it seem too coincidental?

Not saying it's scripted, just that it could very likely be an odd possibility.

Then again, we'd all hear from it from ex-players and current players alike if it was true. So I'd say, probably not. But still, could be.

You're suggesting that the NFL makes sure players have great games following the death of a family member? I doubt it. Maybe something like Bettis getting a ring, but not likely a player's performance because the player still has to produce in those difficult circumstances and there's no way the opposition would go for it.

Don't make this another thread that becomes all about putting words in my posts that are not there, please.

I specifically said I don't think so. But that it is, indeed, quite possible.

Drama makes for good tv and good ratings. As fans, those dramatic storylines compel is to keep watching. So i could see how the NFL would set such thingsup to happen to make sure even more folks tune in - especially on the prime time games, when it almost always seems to happen anyway.

Again, not likely. But certainly possible. There's good reasoning (ratings = money), and it makes enough sense. But still not quite likely.

EDIT to add: But folks have said the same thing about boxing, MMA, and other sports too, for the longest time.

How can I put words in your mouth when you're the one making the suggestion? Even if you say you don't completely believe it, the fact that you even put it out there is evidence that you have doubts and believe it's possible. So that would mean you sort of believe it, but not 100% sure.

I don't really have any doubts nor do I sort of believe it. Don't put words in my post that arent there, man.

I only brought up that it would make sense for the NFL to do so, and that is IS ironic all these cinderella stories and such pop up for primetime games and super bowls. Not that it is at all likely or that I believe it. Just that it would certainly be possible and explain a lot.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't put words in your mouth. You said you don't believe it but believe it's a possibility. But if you don't believe it, you wouldn't have suggested this.

And like I said, it's impossible to script an NFL game, especially in one week. Or in Torrey Smith's and Brett Favre's case, 24 hours. You can't even make a 90-minute movie in 3 months.

The NFL, though, could influence the outcome of the games, mostly through the officiating. But to ask an entire team to essentially throw a game just for a "story" is absurd. The NFL doesn't need all the extra drama or attention - it's already a multi-billion dollar industry that has a lot of stories to tell, such as Bruce Irvin coming from the streets to be a first-round pick or Torrey Smith being the eldest of 6 kids and having to help raise his younger siblings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't put words in your mouth. You said you don't believe it but believe it's a possibility. But if you don't believe it, you wouldn't have suggested this.

And like I said, it's impossible to script an NFL game, especially in one week. Or in Torrey Smith's and Brett Favre's case, 24 hours. You can't even make a 90-minute movie in 3 months.

The NFL, though, could influence the outcome of the games, mostly through the officiating. But to ask an entire team to essentially throw a game just for a "story" is absurd. The NFL doesn't need all the extra drama or attention - it's already a multi-billion dollar industry that has a lot of stories to tell, such as Bruce Irvin coming from the streets to be a first-round pick or Torrey Smith being the eldest of 6 kids and having to help raise his younger siblings.

Just because it is a possibility doesn't mean I believe it in any fashion, lol. I believe it is a possibility that I could sweet talk Jessica Alba out of her clothing. But do I believe it would ever happen? No. Razz Same thing.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's good to know that you have a mighty big imagination but low expectations. Razz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One argument that throws a monkey wrench into the 'scripted' theory is the Cowboys themselves.. wouldn't the NFL benefit more from its MOST POPULAR TEAM being much better than they have been over the past 2 decades??!!

I guess you could say that the Cowboys could have been much worse without the scripts.. Shocked
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
One argument that throws a monkey wrench into the 'scripted' theory is the Cowboys themselves.. wouldn't the NFL benefit more from its MOST POPULAR TEAM being much better than they have been over the past 2 decades??!!

I guess you could say that the Cowboys could have been much worse without the scripts.. Shocked

Well, there is one possible theory to this question. The last super bowl the Cowboys won, 1995 Steelers vs Cowboys, did have somewhat of a questionable scenario to it. The Cowboys were an up and down team that entire year. I think they finished 11-5, which for them was sub par.
The QB for the Steelers at that time was Neil O'Donnell. At the time of the super bowl it was already a forgone conclusion that O'Donnell would be the QB for the Jets the following year.
So, I am suggesting here and now that, as an insurance policy to secure their 3rd super bowl in 4 years, some one (J.J.) paid off Neil O'Donnell to throw those 2 game changing INT's to Larry Brown.
Go back and watch the game fim, there was not a Steeler within 10 yards of the intended passes.
Even Dieon Sanders stated that someone left that stadium with a briefcase full of Bennies. (100 dollar bills)

Now, if that were the case, in an obvious fashion to the league officals, and yet they could not prove anything, their punishment on the Cowboys is this:
O.k. you got your 3 super bowls, now dissapear for a while. A long while.
Is it any coincidence that after 5 head coaches and, I don't know, how many coordinators, QB's etc etc etc, that this team consistantly comes up small?

I know it all sounds nuts, pretty thin actually, damn near anarexic, but as long as we are entertaining the idea of corruption in the NFL, it is a theory, and as such a possibility.
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard more than one person say that O'Donnell was the Cowboys best player that day..
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
mco65 wrote:

Well, there is one possible theory to this question. The last super bowl the Cowboys won, 1995 Steelers vs Cowboys, did have somewhat of a questionable scenario to it. The Cowboys were an up and down team that entire year. I think they finished 11-5, which for them was sub par.
The QB for the Steelers at that time was Neil O'Donnell. At the time of the super bowl it was already a forgone conclusion that O'Donnell would be the QB for the Jets the following year.
So, I am suggesting here and now that, as an insurance policy to secure their 3rd super bowl in 4 years, some one (J.J.) paid off Neil O'Donnell to throw those 2 game changing INT's to Larry Brown.
Go back and watch the game fim, there was not a Steeler within 10 yards of the intended passes.
Even Dieon Sanders stated that someone left that stadium with a briefcase full of Bennies. (100 dollar bills)

Now, if that were the case, in an obvious fashion to the league officals, and yet they could not prove anything, their punishment on the Cowboys is this:
O.k. you got your 3 super bowls, now dissapear for a while. A long while.
Is it any coincidence that after 5 head coaches and, I don't know, how many coordinators, QB's etc etc etc, that this team consistantly comes up small?

I know it all sounds nuts, pretty thin actually, damn near anarexic, but as long as we are entertaining the idea of corruption in the NFL, it is a theory, and as such a possibility.

Well see, thats sort of the stuff I'm getting at. It would be way too easy to have one person pay another to let something happen. And maybe next time those two teams face each other, the one guy now owes the other. Most of the players are friends behind it all, anyway.

Ironic and possible as it would be, I dont think someone would sacrifice their whole lifes work for a few extra million...but hey, that ring is only worth a few hundred thousand...

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: