Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andy Reid and the Safety Conundrum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blahman88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Andy Reid and the Safety Conundrum Reply with quote

I am Andy Reid, hear me RAWR

Safeties I have drafted

Strong Safety - Damon Moore - 4th Round Pick - Pick 128

Played for the Eagles for only two years, Started 33 games, playing in 15 more. Was out of the league by 2002.

Strong Safety - Michael Lewis - 2nd Round Pick - Pick 58

In a draft that we hit on so many, we took this safety in the second round. Alongside Dawkins, Brown and Sheppard he looked the part, well you would playing alongside two stars and Lito Sheppard. Got burned repeatedly and was the focus of attacks for every defense. But Lewis had a tough year in 2006. After giving up numerous big plays, he was benched for Sean Considine, starting only 6 of 14 games. He finished his career with the Eagles recording 386 tackles, six sacks, and nine interceptions. Yes, Sean Considine......

Probably Reid only half succesful Safety pick, and when he moved on, he was horrendous.

Safety - Norman LeJuene - 7th Round Pick - Pick 244

Yeah, he was cut in training camp. Did play for multiple teams though, and made 2 tackles in his NFL career.

Free Safety - Matt Ware - 3rd Round Pick - Pick 89

Another mammoth failure in a early round at the safety position. Played for just two years before moving to Arizona. Never caught on, always looked like a college kid in the NFL. In 2005, he recorded a game-winning touchdown against the San Diego Chargers when he recovered the ball after a blocked Chargers field goal and carried it to the end zone. He was released on September 2, 2006.

So he did contribute once.

Free Safety - JR Reed - 4th Round Pick - Pick 129

Back to back fre safeties, nice on Andy. Unfortunately injured himself jumping a fence, but rarely showed anything other then being a decent kick returner.

Two spells with the Eagles though.......he was cut for Reno Mahe in the end......woop. Was behind Considine on the depth chart.

Free Safety - Sean 'the human cape' Considine - 4th Round Pick - Pick 104

The human cape, still in the NFL to be fair, but has the tackling ability of a drunk shrew and mental capacity of Kim KArdashian. Struggled with reading plays, allowing severeal TD's in his 4 years as an Eagle.

Safety - CJ Gaddis - 5th Round Pick - Pick 159

The next Brian Dawkins.........well the first time I heard that phrase, he got cut immediately for being abysmal, had no NFL career.

Free Safety - Quintin Demps - 4th Round Pick - Pick 117

The next Brian Dawkins mark II, again a pretty poor NFL player. Best known as a kick returner and someone who gave up multiple penalities. Eventually got beat my Macho harris, YES, a cornerback turned safety. Still in the NFL, barely....

Cornerback - Macho harris - 5th Round Pick - Pick 157

Andy even tried to put a CB in a safety role, did it work? Nope. Opening day starter in 2009, he was benched for Sean Jones and then cut before the start of the next season, deary me.

Free Safety - Nate Allen - 2nd Round Pick - Pick 39

Scape goat for his rookie and sophmore seasons after some 'soft' play, he has stepped it up a bit this year with some solid tackling and good reading of the game. Still too early to tell if he'll be here a while but has done nothing wrong. A solid safety, but not spectacular.

Strong Safety - Kurt Coleman - 7th Round Pick - Pick 244

A very good pick, possibly Andy's first, but for a 7th Round Pick, you get what you pay for. Kurt's a decnt in the box safety, with Okay coverage skills. Not a star, but good enough for a starting role. I don't feel he'll improve, I think he'll plateaux at plateaux is current level.

Strong Safety - Jaiquwan Jarrett - 2nd Round Pick - Pick 53

Just LOL, abysmal, the next Brian Dawkins III, because he could hit like a truck. Shame he had the coverage skills of a truck as well. Poor angles, poor recognition, poor player.

Do you trust Andy Reid with the Safety psoition?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to go all PE on you all, but Reid has Dawkins for 9/10 seasons. Having him meant you could miss on a few safeties and no one would notice.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Blahman88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Not to go all PE on you all, but Reid has Dawkins for 9/10 seasons. Having him meant you could miss on a few safeties and no one would notice.

But he didn't draft him, and missed on all his safeties......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blahman88 wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:

But he didn't draft him, and missed on all his safeties......

Yeh, that's what I mean. People go "Wow Brian Dawkins, Andy must know his safeties", when in fact it was JJ who coached him and Ray Rhodes? who drafted him.

Dawkins was a luxury, who imo, we've never replaced.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Reid hand picks his own safeties. I'm sure Jim Johnson had a bigger role in drafting guys for his defense.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Blahman88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I don't think Reid hand picks his own safeties. I'm sure Jim Johnson had a bigger role in drafting guys for his defense.

he'll have final say, and since the death of JJ it has got steadily worse IMO, the team has a fundamental failure in drafting safeties.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that list is dismal.

I just think too many people are involved in the process to lay it on the QB coach from Wisconsin.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blahman88 wrote:
Phire wrote:

he'll have final say, and since the death of JJ it has got steadily worse IMO, the team has a fundamental failure in drafting safeties.

We we're fundamentally poor at drafting defense as well (with a few exceptions).

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Blahman88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Blahman88 wrote:
Phire wrote:

We we're fundamentally poor at drafting defense as well (with a few exceptions).

It's most apparent in the Safety position, and to an extent Linebacker, we seem to draft a prototype every time. Linebackers are always undersized with decent mobility. Safety's are always cover guys who struggle against the run and can't cover a TE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JJ having Dawkins (a 5-tool safety in his prime) allowed JJ to run complex schemes. When JJ passed AR should've changed the entire defense because we had an Dawkins at the end of his career and the defensive guru calling plays was gone as well. SO AR an offensive guy with no real defensive minded coach on the staff after JJ's departure was stuck trying to fit squares in a tiny round hole.

I think thats why we didn't see a high draft selection post JJ until Nate Allen because AR didn't have a well respected defensive coach on his staff.

Also I thought Matt Ware was a CB in college turned safety?

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
willy_law

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look thats the past.
We have a chance to correct that with
Eric Reid
TJ McDonald
Robert Lester
Tony Jefferson

In the Later rounds
Jordan Kovacs
Ray Ray Armstrong

This is a loaded safety class. This is our chance..... Eric Reid FTW
marky_b27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy_law wrote:
Look thats the past.
Eric Reid
TJ McDonald
Robert Lester
Tony Jefferson

In the Later rounds
Jordan Kovacs
Ray Ray Armstrong

Knowing Andy, he'll draft an undersized team captain who has a fondness for jugs

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
oland11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Look thats the past.
Eric Reid
TJ McDonald
Robert Lester
Tony Jefferson

In the Later rounds
Jordan Kovacs
Ray Ray Armstrong

Knowing Andy, he'll draft an undersized team captain who has a fondness for jugs

Don't forget history of injury problems, team player
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Michael Lewis was solid for about two years, then fell off and eventually left to fade into obscurity. The jury is still out on Allen and Coleman, but aside from those 3, no one else deserves a single mention.
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't know we sucked so bad with safeties under Reid. Then again now that I think about it, it makes a ton of sense.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: