Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers Ryan Mundy fined $21,000 for hit on Darrius Heyward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 pages and no one has posted a GIF. Very disappointed in you guys.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
coors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
4 pages and no one has posted a GIF. Very disappointed in you guys.

It hurts even me when I watch that hit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:

Your excuse is that Mundy doesn't know how to tackle properly and his head just happens to be where other peoples heads are when he tackles...

See, there's this really interesting thing about people: Since the variation in height between players in the nfl at most position is well less than the height of a person's head, and Mundy at 6'1" is pretty average for DBs and WRs, this results in his head being about head level to most players he would be making a tackle on. This makes it really easy for his head to "happen to be" near where other people's heads are when he closes in on someone, making it really easy for poor tackling form to make those heads come closer together than intended.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was that bad outside of the result. Hit obviously wasn't clean by today's standards, but really the only rule I saw broken was the "defenseless receiver" rule. It didn't even look that bad to me when I saw it in real time... at least until it became immediately clear that DHB was unconscious. I was pretty surprised that it was that severe.

Mays hit was brutal. Absolutely brutal. Unconscionable.

I'm one of the first guys in the room to scream "lifetime ban" every time James Harrison tries to kill somebody on the field, but this fine is about right, and that's only because of the result.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so Bill Belichick gets fined 50K for grabbing an official...not harming him...just grabbing.

Munday gets fined 21K for nearly messing up someone's career? (though that hit looked accidental, it was just a dumb reaction to lead head first)

Something about this just seems very unbalanced. Yes, I know there is a rational explanation, and it will be given after this post. However, these circumstances are just a tad messed up.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
Okay, so Bill Belichick gets fined 50K for grabbing an official...not harming him...just grabbing.

Munday gets fined 21K for nearly messing up someone's career? (though that hit looked accidental, it was just a dumb reaction to lead head first)

Something about this just seems very unbalanced. Yes, I know there is a rational explanation, and it will be given after this post. However, these circumstances are just a tad messed up.

You think the hit looked accidental, yet you want him punished more???

There is a precedence set for first offenders of illegal hits. So if you agree it was accidental you should agree with the punishment for a first time offender.

Belichick made contact with a ref after being warned days before by the league not to harrass the replacement refs. He is being made an example of to set a precedence.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
The Steelers as a team are a repeat offender, but this is the first time Mundy has gotten into this type of trouble.

And what is that supposed to mean?

That the Steelers are a dirty team?

Streater was poked in the eye the play literally before the DHB hit, and literally the play after Marcel Reece caught the ball and a Steeler defender had his hand around and inside his facemask while attempting the tackle while Reece went out of bounds.

3 plays in a row where the intent to focus on or contact with the head of the opponent is obvious. Once, twice, that's a coincidence. 3 plays in a row in the red zone with hands or helmets near the head or inside the facemask?

As the game slipped away on defense, I saw the Steeler defenders become more and more desperate with borderline hits gravitating bit by bit toward the head and the knees.

You said something that literally every team does. Yet the Steelers are the dirty team? Whatever.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
91jmay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think he should have been suspended and the fine amount is ok with me, but was dissapointed a flag wasn't thrown on the play. Clearly helmet to helmet in my opinion.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
dante9876

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
macklemore wrote:

Your excuse is that Mundy doesn't know how to tackle properly and his head just happens to be where other peoples heads are when he tackles...

See, there's this really interesting thing about people: Since the variation in height between players in the nfl at most position is well less than the height of a person's head, and Mundy at 6'1" is pretty average for DBs and WRs, this results in his head being about head level to most players he would be making a tackle on. This makes it really easy for his head to "happen to be" near where other people's heads are when he closes in on someone, making it really easy for poor tackling form to make those heads come closer together than intended.

Poor tackling isnt an excuse for head to head hits. I think thats the point people are trying to make. IMO if he refuses to learn how to tackle properly he is intending to hurt people. It has been 3 years in between Sunday and the other video posted. He seems to not get it. He has hurt 2 Raiders and 2 Steelers in the process.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:

The hit itself, IMO, didn't look too vicious -- though obviously the result was very scary.

But, you can't penalize people based on the result of the play, but rather only on their actions. It's unfortunate that DHB was knocked out and hurt the way he was, but Mundy's hit was not any worse than we see on most H2H hits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:

The hit itself, IMO, didn't look too vicious -- though obviously the result was very scary.

But, you can't penalize people based on the result of the play, but rather only on their actions. It's unfortunate that DHB was knocked out and hurt the way he was, but Mundy's hit was not any worse than we see on most H2H hits.

I agree with this. My issue is that he has done it before. Same stupid form tackling leading to those head to head. The league just wasnt as into at the time. I assume now that he has been fined if he gets more playing time he will get caught again soon.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
IMO if he refuses to learn how to tackle properly he is intending to hurt people.

Think

Suckiness=intention to maim? Oooooooooooooooooook.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:

You think the hit looked accidental, yet you want him punished more???

There is a precedence set for first offenders of illegal hits. So if you agree it was accidental you should agree with the punishment for a first time offender.

Belichick made contact with a ref after being warned days before by the league not to harrass the replacement refs. He is being made an example of to set a precedence.

I didn't want him punished more, I just thought the circumstances were a tad outrageous. If anything my point was that BB should have been punished less.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
dante9876

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
IMO if he refuses to learn how to tackle properly he is intending to hurt people.

Think

Suckiness=intention to maim? Oooooooooooooooooook.

Yes. This isnt pee wee. You are an NFL player, if you dont know how to tackle properly not hurting yourself or others you must dont care and intend to hurt people. Quite simple.
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
holyghost wrote:
stillersenat wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
The Steelers as a team are a repeat offender, but this is the first time Mundy has gotten into this type of trouble.

And what is that supposed to mean?

That the Steelers are a dirty team?

Streater was poked in the eye the play literally before the DHB hit, and literally the play after Marcel Reece caught the ball and a Steeler defender had his hand around and inside his facemask while attempting the tackle while Reece went out of bounds.

3 plays in a row where the intent to focus on or contact with the head of the opponent is obvious. Once, twice, that's a coincidence. 3 plays in a row in the red zone with hands or helmets near the head or inside the facemask?

As the game slipped away on defense, I saw the Steeler defenders become more and more desperate with borderline hits gravitating bit by bit toward the head and the knees.

You said something that literally every team does. Yet the Steelers are the dirty team? Whatever.

Well aside from other football games that I watch, I watch the Raiders every week of the season. Some teams do it, most don't. Some teams play dirty, some don't. Your team does from what I saw, and what I saw was pretty clear.

I don't see the reason you have to defend it, you don't play for the team and it's not an attack on you. You don't coach them to do it. I would never have argued the Raiders weren't dirty 30 years ago, because they were. Not every team tackles around the head consistently, and not every team gravitates toward the head and knees on defense as the game slips away. I'm not talking about an isolated play here or there. THAT'S every team. I'm talking about more than usual, which is why it stood out in the first place while I was watching the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: