Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mana Silva released? Help me understand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Mana Silva released? Help me understand Reply with quote

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=3&itemUri=-807327654%2F12010341311421511010121341115

Quote:
To make room for Moorman, the Cowboys waived safety Mana Silva, who was not only one of the few healthy backups at the position, but a regular on special teams. Silva's role will likely be replaced by veteran Eric Frampton, who signed this week and should be ready to play in Monday's game as well.

I saw this mentioned briefly in another thread but figured it needed its own topic.

This is a move that I highly question the staff on. First we loose Church for the season, followed up with signing a ST's player who is a 5 year veteran safety with no starting experience and unfamiliar with our system. Then we cut another safety for a punter?

Where I the logic in this??

Sensebaugh
McCray
Frampton

Are the only healthy safeties on this team now. Johnson is expected back after the bye week. But he has no experience missing out on OTA's, most of TC and the Preseason games.

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=2&itemUri=-807327654%2F93142141280062814130111393

I am puzzled????????

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
acowboys62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I had no issues with the signings up until this point. This is just baffling. There was literally no one else on this roster who could get the axe? Maybe we aren't as worried about the S position since Carr did good there and Jenkins seemed to be healthy and in form?
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what this team is saying is that frampton is more valuable than silva.

Wait a second....frampton has been a free agent this whole time, but we waited this entire time to sign him so that he has to learn our system on the fly.

Makes zero sense to me.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We couldn't drop one of our WR's or Vickers. I like the guy, and think he could be useful, but it's pretty obvious we are gonna run, when you only bring him in for 5 plays.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins health and Carr's exceptional-ism played a role in this. Also, I feel this means the team views Johnsons return coming sooner rather than later as has been reported. But that's pure speculation on my part.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no logic to the move unless Carr is going to pull some S duty in certain schemes and/or Johnson is the second coming.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mana Silva released? Help me understand Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=3&itemUri=-807327654%2F12010341311421511010121341115

Quote:
To make room for Moorman, the Cowboys waived safety Mana Silva, who was not only one of the few healthy backups at the position, but a regular on special teams. Silva's role will likely be replaced by veteran Eric Frampton, who signed this week and should be ready to play in Monday's game as well.

I saw this mentioned briefly in another thread but figured it needed its own topic.

This is a move that I highly question the staff on. First we loose Church for the season, followed up with signing a ST's player who is a 5 year veteran safety with no starting experience and unfamiliar with our system. Then we cut another safety for a punter?

Where I the logic in this??

Sensebaugh
McCray
Frampton

Are the only healthy safeties on this team now. Johnson is expected back after the bye week. But he has no experience missing out on OTA's, most of TC and the Preseason games.

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=2&itemUri=-807327654%2F93142141280062814130111393

I am puzzled????????

I didn't even know that Johnson was practicing. Because they had a big segment on the radio asking why it was taking him so long to recover from a hamstring pull. Hope he can make it back after the bye week because they need all hands on deck right now in the secondary.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would make more sense if you were at practice everyday at Valley Ranch, if you were in the meetings with Coach Ryan, try are the number 1 ranked D at the moment . I'll put
My trust in the staff anderson them make the decisions. Big game Monday Night, be nice to go into the bye week with a win, Go Cowboys!!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
There is no logic to the move unless Carr is going to pull some S duty in certain schemes and/or Johnson is the second coming.

I think you will see a Combination of Carr/Jenkins/McCray/Sensy all taking turns at the S position. And because of McCray being used more (opinion) we needed someone to take a larger role in the ST department (enter Eric Frampton). Then given the bye week, hopefully we will see Johnson get in the fold sooner rather than later.

In Redball I Trust!
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Northland wrote:

I think you will see a Combination of Carr/Jenkins/McCray/Sensy all taking turns at the S position. And because of McCray being used more (opinion) we needed someone to take a larger role in the ST department (enter Eric Frampton). Then given the bye week, hopefully we will see Johnson get in the fold sooner rather than later.

I thought silva was a good special teamer? No?

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Northland wrote:

I thought silva was a good special teamer? No?

I really don't know. I know McCray is exceptional. I don't recall Silva's contribution (not saying he didn't/doesn't...I just can't verify) but all reports I have read explain that E.F. does have a good track record of ST play.

Not saying I agree with the decision. But if McCray is going to take a larger role and that could potentially limit his contribution on ST then it stands to reason we need someone to supplant him on ST.

Then again, I have never been on the Silva bandwagon like so many others.

In Redball I Trust!
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I read a tweet saying that the team is comfortable with having Carr play safety on certain snaps, hence why they released Silva and kept Frampton.

^^^mack
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Northland wrote:

I think Ryan has the cover CB's and the confidence in them to move them around as he sees fit. I think this does put more pressure on Johnson when he gets back. Obviously the team thinks enough of him that they could release Silva. The move has been made. No more need to analyze. Let's see how this unfolds.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that it's a curious move. I thought Silva had potential as both a safety and special teamer. I see Frampton only as a special teamer. I've got to believe that the Cowboys will try to re-sign Silva next week.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't understand it. Both safeties go down against the Hawks so we release Mario Butler. Then we lose Church for the season so lets cut Silva. I don't get the strategy. If Romo goes down this Monday are we going to release Orten and sign a FB?

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: