Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL=Professional Wrestling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: NFL=Professional Wrestling? Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seattle-seahawks-green-bay-packers-controversy-replacement-refs-open-up-league-to-corruption-092512

Could we at least agree that it is not out of the realm of possibilities that there may be corruption in the NFL?

I hate to think this way because I love the game of football. But I feel like 2 different people anymore when I watch the game.
It's Sunday morning or afternoon depending on the start of the game. There I am in my Romo Jersey, Cowboys baseball cap, Cowboys T shirt, and blue jeans sitting at a bar in South Philly. Daring all the homers to take their best shot. Trusting that my favorite team will not embarasse me with another dismall performance (See Seattle 2 weeks ago).
It's like I want to watch the game and enjoy it and believe it is all on the up and up, like I did as a kid and teenager. But then I see things, and have been seeing them for some time now.....not just this year, that makes another side, a logical or more mature side of me say "Really?! Like, how can I buy this garbage as Professional Football?"
Kind of the same way I felt when I realized Pro Wrestling wasn't real. It's like I knew all along, but didn't want to see it because I took so much pleasure in watching it.

Well, last night was just about it for me. I was so distraught at the idea that the league no longer cares what type of product it puts on the field, they know we will always come back. We will glady hand over our money to watch what THEY see as Professional Football.

They know we will not leave or question it's integrity, they learned that last year when they held the fans hostage with that nonsensical lockout only to give us back our "binki" just before the start of the season. We didn't threaten, we didn't complain, we got our football, they got their money and everyone wins. No harm, no foul.

Now they are feeding this garbage. Even with the proper tools in place to review and make corrections to bad officiating, they cannot get it right. Some will say it's the way the rules about replay are set up.... what you can and cannot challenge or review and all that. And the funny thing is, I really didn't care who won last night. It made no difference to me whatsoever.

I don't know. I don't want to stop watching but I am finding it more and more difficult to accept any of this as a professional sport that is on the level and legit. Football has never looked so pathetic.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm paranoid here, but I think every sport with refs have some sort of corruption. The NFL replacement refs have been terrible but they are still a notch above NBA's REAL refs. The NBA imo is the worst by far

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a blown call on the field, but after it goes to the booth? How do you miss that? Who is in the Booth? Do they have a replacement booth too? And even so, it seems that millions of fans even Seattle fans saw the play differently. Even the most homer of homer Seattle fans could only argue that bad calls effected the Seahawks poorly as well. They couldn't argue that the call wasn't bad. So how do refs of any level not see it too? What do these guys have to do to qualify for being a replacement ref? Does it pay well? Can I be a ref at a game or two?

I'm never a conspiracy guy, but this reeks of foul play. The fact that they didn't even try to hide that they didn't care about being right makes me sick. I hate the Packers, but I hate rooting for a fixed league even worse... But like you said Dave, the NFL proved last year that they are the electric company. They can do and charge whatever they want. We need them. If anyone was to boycott the league it would have been done last year, but we didn't, we all just paid our dues and hoped...

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you combine Wrestling and the NFL...

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good consiracy theory. The issue is that as long as the profits role in why should the league office care? We fans continue to watch the games and buy the merchandise/tickets so is the league really impacted?

Now the fact that the booth would not overturn the Seattle Hail Mary call makes one wonder if the league has sent word down that the rulings on the field are to be upheld regardless. In other words the league is saying problem, what problem? We (the NFL) don't need those "real" refs.

The games are being compromised.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now, there is no end in sight to this lockout. Both sides are heavily dug in and entrenched in their bunkers! There is no movement what so ever.

Everybody outside the league can clearly see that the games are being affected. It's all over the National and World News. The fans, the players and even done coaches who have broke ranks are speaking out against the replacements, but the NFL they are clearly blind and only care about the money they would have to give up.

IMO, it's going to have to take a drastic measure to get the NFL to bargain. Players strike or players on field protest. Something that is going to have to get the owners involved in this process because their pocketbooks and teams are being affected.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/las-vegas-books-300-million-changed-hands-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks-game-092512

Ok, now consider this! The line on the game was G.B. giving 4 and a half points. They were winning 12 to 7. That is by 5 points. They would have covered the spread and the majority of people betting would have won.
Since the controversal call, the pendulum swung $300,000,000 in favor of Vegas and the odds makers!

Now, if you want to really get your hands dirty, consider this:

1. The regular officals are not moving on their stance because they know some of these games are fixed. Especially the Monday and Sunday night games where most of these questionable calls seem to happen. Why, you might ask? Because they are the "chance to get even games" for many people who lost money on the afternoon games over the weekend. PLUS, they are the only game going on at that time. Conversally, if people won on the afternoon games, they get a chance to double up. Anyone and everyone who gambles on these games is betting the Sunday and Monday night games. They have THEE most amount of money riding on them, more so than any other game of the week. It is the perfect opportunity for the big "mind _ _ _ k!"

2. The replacement officials represent the perfect opportunity to influence the outcome of games without too much fallout. Why, you might ask? Because they ARE replacemnt officials, they are scrubs, scabs, people who are supposed to screw it up. They blow a call or cause the out come of a game to swing dramatically (see G.B. at Seattle) they can take the heat. After all, that is why they were put in place. Who better to take the fall then the guy who was put in place specifically for that role?

People will call in radio shows (I have) text, tweet, e-mail, post, protest, march on Washington, go on hunger strikes, WHATEVER! But in the end the call will stand, Vegas will collect, true football fans will grin and bear it because swallowing this S _ _ _ Burger seems to be a better alternative to just giving up on something we are so dedicated to and feel so passionate about. We identify with football as much as our own faiths, families and country. That is why this whole concept of a corrupt league is so appuling to me.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/las-vegas-books-300-million-changed-hands-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks-game-092512

Ok, now consider this! The line on the game was G.B. giving 4 and a half points. They were winning 12 to 7. That is by 5 points. They would have covered the spread and the majority of people betting would have won.
Since the controversal call, the pendulum swung $300,000,000 in favor of Vegas and the odds makers!

1. The regular officals are not moving on their stance because they know some of these games are fixed. Especially the Monday and Sunday night games where most of these questionable calls seem to happen. Why, you might ask? Because they are the "chance to get even games" for many people who lost money on the afternoon games over the weekend. PLUS, they are the only game going on at that time. Conversally, if people won on the afternoon games, they get a chance to double up. Anyone and everyone who gambles on these games is betting the Sunday and Monday night games. They have THEE most amount of money riding on them, more so than any other game of the week. It is the perfect opportunity for the big "mind _ _ _ k!"

2. The replacement officials represent the perfect opportunity to influence the outcome of games without too much fallout. Why, you might ask? Because they ARE replacemnt officials, they are scrubs, scabs, people who are supposed to screw it up. They blow a call or cause the out come of a game to swing dramatically (see G.B. at Seattle) they can take the heat. After all, that is why they were put in place. Who better to take the fall then the guy who was put in place specifically for that role?

People will call in radio shows (I have) text, tweet, e-mail, post, protest, march on Washington, go on hunger strikes, WHATEVER! But in the end the call will stand, Vegas will collect, true football fans will grin and bear it because swallowing this S _ _ _ Burger seems to be a better alternative to just giving up on something we are so dedicated to and feel so passionate about. We identify with football as much as our own faiths, families and country. That is why this whole concept of a corrupt league is so appuling to me.

Really interesting stuff. Especially the Vegas angle. We are all pissed off but who among us, those of us on this site, are willing to give up watching until the real officials are back? Do we feel that strongly about it, or are we hopelessly addicted to the drug that is the NFL? I don't know if I can turn away. It has been a staple for so long.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Really interesting stuff. Especially the Vegas angle. We are all pissed off but who among us, those of us on this site, are willing to give up watching until the real officials are back? Do we feel that strongly about it, or are we hopelessly addicted to the drug that is the NFL? I don't know if I can turn away. It has been a staple for so long.

Not only that but the fear that you and I turning away won't be enough. The NFL won't care about a few people turning away it would have to be everyone or damn near. So the thought is that I won't be enough to change anything, and the NFL will go on with or without me. So I might as well watch......

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only will people continue to watch, but it's possible to have an even bigger audience. Seriously, with all the media attention, even more casual fans will tune in just to see what happens next. Let's face it... Everybody loves a train wreck.

Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually argue that some of the NFL could possibly be scripted. It seems like some players have big games when family deaths/illnesses are made public (torrey smith, brett favre?), or how Strahan got a ring the year he was likely going to retire...things like that make the drama of the NFL fun for fans to follow and be part of while they watch. But doesn't it seem too coincidental?

Not saying it's scripted, just that it could very likely be an odd possibility.

Then again, we'd all hear from it from ex-players and current players alike if it was true. So I'd say, probably not. But still, could be.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
I'd actually argue that some of the NFL could possibly be scripted. It seems like some players have big games when family deaths/illnesses are made public (torrey smith, brett favre?), or how Strahan got a ring the year he was likely going to retire...things like that make the drama of the NFL fun for fans to follow and be part of while they watch. But doesn't it seem too coincidental?

Then again, we'd all hear from it from ex-players and current players alike if it was true. So I'd say, probably not. But still, could be.

You're suggesting that the NFL makes sure players have great games following the death of a family member? I doubt it. Maybe something like Bettis getting a ring, but not likely a player's performance because the player still has to produce in those difficult circumstances and there's no way the opposition would go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

You're suggesting that the NFL makes sure players have great games following the death of a family member? I doubt it. Maybe something like Bettis getting a ring, but not likely a player's performance because the player still has to produce in those difficult circumstances and there's no way the opposition would go for it.

Don't make this another thread that becomes all about putting words in my posts that are not there, please.

I specifically said I don't think so. But that it is, indeed, quite possible.

Drama makes for good tv and good ratings. As fans, those dramatic storylines compel is to keep watching. So i could see how the NFL would set such thingsup to happen to make sure even more folks tune in - especially on the prime time games, when it almost always seems to happen anyway.

Again, not likely. But certainly possible. There's good reasoning (ratings = money), and it makes enough sense. But still not quite likely.

EDIT to add: But folks have said the same thing about boxing, MMA, and other sports too, for the longest time.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
TheStarStillShines wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

Don't make this another thread that becomes all about putting words in my posts that are not there, please.

I specifically said I don't think so. But that it is, indeed, quite possible.

Drama makes for good tv and good ratings. As fans, those dramatic storylines compel is to keep watching. So i could see how the NFL would set such thingsup to happen to make sure even more folks tune in - especially on the prime time games, when it almost always seems to happen anyway.

Again, not likely. But certainly possible. There's good reasoning (ratings = money), and it makes enough sense. But still not quite likely.

EDIT to add: But folks have said the same thing about boxing, MMA, and other sports too, for the longest time.

How can I put words in your mouth when you're the one making the suggestion? Even if you say you don't completely believe it, the fact that you even put it out there is evidence that you have doubts and believe it's possible. So that would mean you sort of believe it, but not 100% sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:

You can throw in the Patriots winning the SB after 9/11 after decades of sucking

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: