Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Borland-MLB-Wisconsin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Chris Borland-MLB-Wisconsin Reply with quote

I live in Wisconsin so I see every snap the Badgers play and think this is kid is going to be a top 5 MLB in the NFL within 3 years in the league.

His instincts are insane, He's always around the football, a really sound tackler which is quickly a dying breed in the NFL, He has good but not great athletiscm but I think being athletic is overrated when it comes to coverage it's more about instincts. But aside from all of that my favorite quality is that he is the unquestioned leader of the entire Badgers team and I come from the school of thought that the MLB should be the QB of the defense and that's what Borland is.

I've seen arguments in the forum that the MLB need is overblown because Jasper Brinkley only plays about half the defensive snaps but Borland is just a better all around player then Brinkley could dream of being allowing him to stay on the field on 3rd downs

Finally I love the thought of the Vikings stealing Badgers. I root for it every year.

Thoughts?
[UMN]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS Junior - do you think he will declare?

5'11" isn't great, but not really an issue for an inside backer.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

I think he will because the Badgers aren't going anywhere for a couple years and his stock should rise because he's clearly the best player the Badgers have right now.
Hornblende

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. I thought about this too while watching the UTEP game. He times his blitzes incredibly well and goes sideline to sideline with great ease. He and Mike Taylor are the strength and really, the only notable parts of that defense.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any MLB that could be available in the 3rd round that possess these characteristic, I would be interested.

-Good Instincts. (coverage)
-Sound tackler
-Vocal/Leader of defense.

Things I dont necessarily need in an MLB
(These are overrated at this position if you can do the above well)
-Fast 40, ideal height, playing Weight, "Athletic"

So if a prospect dropped to the 3rd round, because he didnt have the "measurements", its someone I would be looking to snag.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Agreed, being short doesnt really impact a LB in the 4-3. I was really high on Mychal Kendrics this year, who is 5-11 as well. He is playing well in Philly at OLB.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Any MLB that could be available in the 3rd round that possess these characteristic, I would be interested.

-Good Instincts. (coverage)
-Sound tackler
-Vocal/Leader of defense.

Things I dont necessarily need in an MLB
(These are overrated at this position if you can do the above well)
-Fast 40, ideal height, playing Weight, "Athletic"

So if a prospect dropped to the 3rd round, because he didnt have the "measurements", its someone I would be looking to snag.

Unless we don't resign Erin Henderson, 3rd round is way too high for someone who likely will only see time in base 43 formations.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Unless we don't resign Erin Henderson, 3rd round is way too high for someone who likely will only see time in base 43 formations.

You need more than 2 adequate linebackers, and MLB is definitely one of the weakest positions on the roster. I think a 3rd round pick would be well used there. Even if he only plays in 4-3 packages that is a good amount of plays, and at the very least we need better LB depth.

The MLB plays more than the #3 CB, and you would use a 3rd round pick on a #3 CB wouldn't you?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Klomp wrote:

You need more than 2 adequate linebackers, and MLB is definitely one of the weakest positions on the roster. I think a 3rd round pick would be well used there. Even if he only plays in 4-3 packages that is a good amount of plays, and at the very least we need better LB depth.

The MLB plays more than the #3 CB, and you would use a 3rd round pick on a #3 CB wouldn't you?

I completely agree and assuming we continue to run some form of the cover 2 it's even more imperative to get a MLB with good coverage instincts. It makes it easier on the safties because then they don't have to worry about the MLB covering his area of the field and they can stay back more and less big plays are given up.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love if CJ Mosley came out and we grabbed him in the second round.

Do we have a single linebacker that can drop back into coverage, read a quarterbacks eyes, and step in front of a route/pass? That isn't something that is supposed to be hard to do but I honestly haven't really ever seen it out of our linebacker group. Well besides Audie Cole in the preseason.

The truth is neither Henderson or Brinkley are any good in coverage but we have had them out there at times on the field in our nickle package. It is no surprise that we have struggled getting off the field in 3rd and long situations. Neither guy has shown that they actually deserve to be 3 down linebackers.

Then we are a rebuilding team. You have to weigh salary/production. I think a decision has to be made at the end of the season about who you re-sign. I expect Erin Henderson is going to be wanting a nice salary. He wasn't thrilled with the 1 year contract. Jasper is likely to be cheaper and easier to re-sign but he has to keep playing the way he did against San Francisco.

We just can't be handing out big contracts to slightly above average players. Especially when we have talent like Percy Harvin that deserves every penny he will be asking for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Borland-MLB-Wisconsin Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
I live in Wisconsin so I see every snap the Badgers play and think this is kid is going to be a top 5 MLB in the NFL within 3 years in the league.
Thoughts?

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Borland-MLB-Wisconsin Reply with quote

Swaps wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Thoughts?

Care to elaborate, for those who arent familiar with Borland?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Borland-MLB-Wisconsin Reply with quote

Swaps wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Thoughts?

What's funny? I get it's a strong statement but contribute something if it's so rediculous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: