Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Belichik Fine $50,000 for Contact with Official
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 6165
Location: Gainesville, FL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Come on man! 50,000 dollars?

All he wanted was to try on those new Air Jordans.


+1

Probably the right punishment. No coach is above the rules, and not being allowed to touch officials is as basic as it gets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
He wasnt just trying to get the refs attention to ask if it was a challege?


Yes, he was...

marshawn lynch wrote:
It was pretty obvious that he wanted to complain.


No, actually it was obvious he simply wanted an answer if it's possible to review the FG, if he can challenge, because from his angle he couldn't see if it was good or not and his players [who were on the field next to the kick] told him it wasn't good.

Stop been a Bills homer.

marshawn lynch wrote:
When the ref is running off the field, it is pretty obvious they are not reviewing it.


Of course, that was the problem, he wanted to know if he should throw the flag so the refs will know he is using his rights as head coach to challenge a play, but the ref ignored him and didn't give him an answer [probably because he had no idea what is the answer because he's an incompetent replacement official]



Thank you voice of reason.

There's a difference between touching someone to get their attention as they're running by and physically imposing yourself on them which is the spirit of the rule. Fining Belichick $50K because he touched a ref who was trying to ignore him is BS by the NFL which is once again trying to back the refs in order to save face.

It appeared to me that Belichick was being shunned by the ref in that situation who wanted absolutely no part in any review or commentary on the call.

However, his job is to stand there and explain the call to Belichick and what his options are for reviewing it. The refs job was not done so ignoring Belichick and simply running away was cowardly.


It was clear that the refs didn't want to review the play and that they wanted to get the hell out of there. If it's not reviewable then they still have to explain that to Belichick but instead they ran away. It was really sad to see the refs running away from their job on an NFL field.

That was clearly a play that should've been reviewed (if possible) and without question the refs job is to answer to the coach who has a question in that situation.

The ref does not have the authority to cowardly run away from explaining to a coach why he's not going to review a (very sketchy) call.

I feel for the refs in that situation who clearly did a poor job and were given a tough call at the end of the game to make, BUT their job was not fulfilled in this instance because they ran off the field and ignored Belichick.

As a Dolphins fan I wanted to see New England lose but I've got respect for Bill Belichick and what the ref did just cowardly running away like that was unforgivable.

Belichick had every right to stand up at the mic and rip into the call, the refs and the NFL for allowing something like that to transpire yet to my knowledge he didn't go off so props to him.

From a Dolphins fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe_is_the_best


Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 6607
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that doesn't think he should have been fined at all?

Simply touching a referee is not fine worthy. Maybe the NFL should also fine coaches who are chatting with a ref with their arm on the ref's shoulder. Or they should fine a coach when he taps the ref on the shoulder, to tell him he wants a timeout.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't think he should have been fined at all?

Simply touching a referee is not fine worthy. Maybe the NFL should also fine coaches who are chatting with a ref with their arm on the ref's shoulder. Or they should fine a coach when he taps the ref on the shoulder, to tell him he wants a timeout.


Yeah! And players who smack a teammate on the helmet after a good play should be flagged and fined as well!

C'mon man. You know the stuff you described isn't comparable to running up to a ref, yelling at him, and grabbing his arm.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pats#1


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 4883
Location: Plymouth, MA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
should have been suspended


Agreed. Any other coach would've probably been suspended.


Oh here we go Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pats#1


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 4883
Location: Plymouth, MA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
I feel like the league should have made an example of him. If it was any other coach there would be a suspension.


You're kidding right? the fact it was Belichick didn't change anything. [I know your a Bills fan... but come on]

marshawn lynch wrote:
I would have gave him a 1 game suspension.


For? trying to get the replacement ref's attention about a possible game changing challenge while everyone were leaving the field and the time for making the challenge if it was allowed was running down because the game was breaking up?

It's not allowed to touch a ref, he got a $50,000 fine, move along. A suspension would of been ridiculous.
Because he grabbed a ref. He wasnt just trying to get the refs attention to ask if it was a challege? It was pretty obvious that he wanted to complain. When the ref is running off the field, it is pretty obvious they are not reviewing it. Either Bill wanted to complain or he is an idiot.


They are replacement officials....they are awful. So wouldn't be in the best interest of his team to try and see if they are making a mistake by simply forgetting to review a play that they may be able to review?

From what happened in that game and the sea hawks game....it makes complete sense that he would go up and want confirmation of a game winning call.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pats#1


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 4883
Location: Plymouth, MA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
^^^ Really? You pull the homer card? Others in this thread have the same opinions in this thread and yet you only quote me and call me a homer. Why are you only arguing with me and not the others who have my same opinion.

Rolling Eyes


I think about 2% of the posters on here on this topic have said they think it should be a suspension....so when you are trying to make your point about "others" agreeing with you, make sure they are more than 2 or 3 compared to the dozens that see it otherwise, because that is simply doing the opposite of what you want it to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EB29


Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 626
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
...last time he was fined like this, he started to run up the score on everyone in sight. Take the "over" on New England from here on out, for easy money. Very Happy


Good lookin out Laughing
_________________

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4202
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine is sufficient, a suspension would be going a little overboard IMO. I just can't believe Belichick was fined more then Ryan Mundy. That sends the wrong message, IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nefarious Bill


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember kids, what Belichick did was so grievous it deserved 50,000, but this is only worth 15,000$:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNx9SldD2k
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefarious Bill wrote:
Remember kids, what Belichick did was so grievous it deserved 50,000, but this is only worth 15,000$:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNx9SldD2k


now THAT deserved a suspension
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snkhd09


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
Location: Tampa Bay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Nefarious Bill wrote:
Remember kids, what Belichick did was so grievous it deserved 50,000, but this is only worth 15,000$:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNx9SldD2k


now THAT deserved a suspension

that is definitely more suspension worthy than what bb did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefarious Bill wrote:
Remember kids, what Belichick did was so grievous it deserved 50,000, but this is only worth 15,000$:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNx9SldD2k



No, you see, it's a different situation here apparently. Belichick did it during a period when the NFL was trying to defend it's refs. The NFL was trying to find every way to support the crappy replacements and draw attention away from their bad performance. They thought a huge fine would do that and people would react simply by all clamoring about how you laying your hands on a ref in unthinkable.

Yeah, unfortunately it happens every week but in this case it's apparently different according to the NFL.

This was a fine that had a purpose and as I said, even though I'm a Dolphins fan I think Bill Belichick showed great poise not ripping these guys or the system that put them in place during his meetings with the press.


To anyone with half a brain, the $50k wasn't for touching another human being but rather for drawing attention towards a temporarily negative aspect of the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18569
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule #1 of being a player or coach, you can't touch an official...period. All this was, was the NFL enforcing this rule and setting the example that if you touch a ref, regardless if its a replacement official or not, you will be punished. Those who are saying this wasn't fine worthy and only b/c the NFL is trying to defend the refs, need to go look back at history.

And no, the official is not obligated to explain why the call is not reviewable (as the announcers said during the game over the upright is a judgement call and not reviewable) after the game is over. BB has no right to go and grab his arm and demand an explanation. If he wants an explanation he has to address it w/ the league office, not the game official.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 46198
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Rule #1 of being a player or coach, you can't touch an official...period.
Historically that's never been the case in the NFL.. Baseball, sure, but not the NFL.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group