Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Myers & Ausberry: Our TE's going into the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you content at TE going forward, or do you want an upgrade?
We're fine with Myers and Ausberry going into the future
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
I want to add someone else to start while they back him up
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

sandiegoraider1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like our TE's for the future. Remember both Gordon and Ausberry are second year players with lots of room to grow, and both are actually quite athletic Gordon ran a low 4.6 at 265ish.
IdigtheRaiders!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Am I the only guy who believed in Myers? Laughing

I remember when he was drafted he had a nice preseason catching the ball. Had a lot of the same skills Zach Miller had.

He was held in on blocking duty over the years, but he can catch passes and make guys miss.

To answer the question raised in the poll, if the opportunity is there to add a TE, you take it. They are matchup nightmares if you find the right one. I am all for drafting the best player available. If that guy is a game breaking TE, so be it.

My last name is Myers, so I always was pulling for him to do well. Laughing Laughing That said, I (like others on here) underrated his abilities, and I'm glad my initial fears were wrong.

1. Props to Big Palooka for the sig
2. Tim Brown is my favorite NFL player of all time.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the contrarian on this issue and suggest that hopefully the TE position will be addressed in the offseason. The modern NFL is a passing league often the better teams are capitalizing on the rule changes by deploying TEs with basketball skill sets to create mismatches among secondaries that often contain shorter defenders.

Meyers is a solid backup but he lacks the ability to create mismatches through speed, vertical or athleticism, nor is he extremely adept at blocking. However, Myers is decent in all of these areas which makes him an excellent backup. Meyers' bounce in stats in this season is nothing more the result of being a starter, however his abilities do not create space for other players like a Vernon Davis does nor is he the physical matchup of a Kyle Rudolph, Hernandez, Jermaine Gresham or Marcedes Lewis. If the Raiders had a physical matchup underneath players such as DHB and Moore would be more effective.

Robert Gordon is a blocking TE with hands of stone. Ausberry is a receiving TE only. While both of these young players are intriguing prospects their upside is limited. Similar to DVD, being a physical freak does not as equate to being a football player. Imo, Ausberry's football knowledge of the position will ultimately limit his development.

There are a number of EXCELLENT options in a TE heavy draft that would quickly become a stater in Oakland. Dion Sims, Eifert, Fauria or even Stoneburner as a receiving TE developmental project.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I'll be the contrarian on this issue and suggest that hopefully the TE position will be addressed in the offseason. The modern NFL is a passing league often the better teams are capitalizing on the rule changes by deploying TEs with basketball skill sets to create mismatches among secondaries that often contain shorter defenders.

Meyers is a solid backup but he lacks the ability to create mismatches through speed, vertical or athleticism, nor is he extremely adept at blocking. However, Myers is decent in all of these areas which makes him an excellent backup. Meyers' bounce in stats in this season is nothing more the result of being a starter, however his abilities do not create space for other players like a Vernon Davis does nor is he the physical matchup of a Kyle Rudolph, Hernandez, Jermaine Gresham or Marcedes Lewis. If the Raiders had a physical matchup underneath players such as DHB and Moore would be more effective.

Robert Gordon is a blocking TE with hands of stone. Ausberry is a receiving TE only. While both of these young players are intriguing prospects their upside is limited. Similar to DVD, being a physical freak does not as equate to being a football player. Imo, Ausberry's football knowledge of the position will ultimately limit his development.

There are a number of EXCELLENT options in a TE heavy draft that would quickly become a stater in Oakland. Dion Sims, Eifert, Fauria or even Stoneburner as a receiving TE developmental project.

Well said. Exactly my thought. A TE that can create mismatches does things for others in the game. When you have to apply safety help to a TE, it allows WRs to get the 1 on 1 matchups QBs want.

Also, a great TE is a QB redzone wet dream. Myers isn't going to stretch the seam or be a legit threat in those situations. If a Tyler Eifert is staring you in the face, he can add an element on offense that any team could use.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a TE high when you already have a solid one (if Myers keeps up his play), is a luxury that this team can't afford IMO. There are way too many needs on defense that there won't be good value at at least one of those positions.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Imo, Ausberry's football knowledge of the position will ultimately limit his development.

Not sure how you can say that at this point considering it is only his 2nd year there after getting no playing time as a rookie. If he can learn to find the soft spots in zone like Myers has appeared to have done, he could be a huge asset to the offense with his YAC ability.

It didn't turn on for Vernon Davis until his 4th year in the league, and even now, he still lacks some of the skill that you find in most great TE's (route running, consistent hands, YAC). But he makes up for it with his speed and deep threat ability.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Drafting a TE high when you already have a solid one (if Myers keeps up his play), is a luxury that this team can't afford IMO. There are way too many needs on defense that there won't be good value at at least one of those positions.

I agree completly. If we had our defense set I could see it but at this point our offense is still better than our defense even with the new scheme.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Darkness wrote:

I agree completly. If we had our defense set I could see it but at this point our offense is still better than our defense even with the new scheme.

this. we have 3 guys who can arguably start and perform well. we are so thin at other positions its sad.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is Myers will be a UFA in 2013. This next offseason is gonna be as interesting as the regular season to start finding out what the new Raiders are all about.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
One thing to consider is Myers will be a UFA in 2013. This next offseason is gonna be as interesting as the regular season to start finding out what the new Raiders are all about.

TE's are one of the most affordable positions in the league. With the amount of teams already set at TE, I could see him getting around the same deal Kevin Boss got with the Chiefs. 3 years, 9 million.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

TE's are one of the most affordable positions in the league. With the amount of teams already set at TE, I could see him getting around the same deal Kevin Boss got with the Chiefs. 3 years, 9 million.

Depends what he does the rest of the season. He's on pace for some pretty impressive numbers.
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Darkness wrote:

i concur as well with darkness and tb. def not a huge need and again we were going into the season with this being a weakness. might not be the exact core we looking for but enough to get the job done at the end of the day. see pittsburgh game.

not jus that but myers hasnt dropped a ball yet and is becoming hella comfortable with palmer
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Depends what he does the rest of the season. He's on pace for some pretty impressive numbers.

True, but I think because this will be his only year of producing, the normal price for his production won't be there. Plus when compared to the other good TE's around the league, he doesn't match up as a mismatch.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Who suggesting drafting a TE high? I highly doubt Eifert, who is considered to the consummate 1st TE off the board, may not be drafted in the 1st round. Again, this is a TE heavy draft and there will be upgrades available later. Personally my favorite TE is UCLA TE Joe Fauria who is currently considered a 4th rd prospect.

OT, this is also a CB heavy draft. The Raiders can get a GOOD CB in the 3rd so there's no need to panic about not getting one in the 1st. Byndom, hawthorne or Gilbert will be there in the 3rd. All excellent upgrade options.

What won't be there is 43 edge rushers after the early 2nd. As this draft is very thin at this position. Adjust your big boards accordingly. Not that McKenzie has the same big board we do, perhaps he's looking at drafting some high character guy out of Colorado early that won't beat out the tomato can incumbent.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fine with Meyers. I can't see even thinking about another TE when we have bigger needs at CB and FS.

Raider X hooked me with the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: