Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech (Senior)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech (Senior) Reply with quote

Kyle Fuller
Position : CB
College : Virginia Tech Hokies
Class : Senior
Height : 6'-0"
Weight : 193 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.52 (estimated)

Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech Hokies Bio

Quote:

2013 Statistics (through 4 games)
Solo tackles : 8
Assisted tackles : 4
Total tackles : 12
Interceptions : 1
Interception return yards : 11
Passes broken up : 6
QB hurries : 1
Kicks/Punts blocked : 1
Punt return : 1
Punt return yardage : 23

2012 Statistics (13 games)
Solo tackles : 44
Assisted tackles : 8
Total tackles : 52
Tackles for loss : 3
Tackles for loss yardage : 10
Interceptions : 2
Interception return yardage : 0
Passes broken up : 5
Forced fumbles : 1

2011 Statistics (14 games)
Solo tackles : 46
Assisted tackles : 19
Total tackles : 65
Tackles for loss : 14.5
Tackles for loss yardage : 58
Sacks : 4.5
Sack loss yardage : 39
Interceptions : 2
Interception return yardage : 2
Passes broken up : 7
Quarterback hurries : 4
Punt returns : 2
Punt return yardage : 18
Punt return average : 9.0
Punt return touchdowns : 1

2010 Statistics (14 games)
Solo tackles : 22
Assisted tackles : 10
Total tackles : 32
Tackles for loss : 3
Tackles for loss yardage : 7
Passes broken up : 6

Quote:
Overview

The younger brother of former Virginia Tech defensive back Vincent Fuller, Kyle Fuller became a full-time starter last season at the field-corner position and emerged as one of the Hokies' top defenders.

Despite the team's talent on the defensive line, it was actually Fuller who led the team in tackles for loss last season with 14.5, adding two interceptions and seven pass break-ups.

After missing most of his final season in high school due to injury, Fuller didn't receive as many looks from colleges as his talent warranted, but because of his bloodlines, it was a good bet he was always headed for Blacksburg.

He pushed for playing time as a true freshman in 2010 with six starts, lining up mostly at the nickel corner position. Fuller started every game as a sophomore last season and stood out as one of the leaders of the defense with 65 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, one forced fumble and a pair of interceptions.

Analysis

Fuller has an excellent feel in coverage with a nose for the ball, putting himself in position to make plays on the ball. Fuller needs to continue to spend time in the weight room and stay disciplined on the field, but he shows the awareness to play at the next level.

--Dane Brugler

09/25/12 - Kyle Fuller isn't a statistical marvel, though he shares the Hokies' lead with two interceptions and two passes broken up. Teams also tend to throw away from him, limiting his play-making opportunities. But there clearly is something different for the Hokies with him on the field. ''Just his presence on the field definitely makes a big difference on'' defense, senior linebacker Bruce Taylor said. ''He's one of those guys who leads more with his play rather than his words. ... You can't always just talk about it; you've got to be about it. And Kyle is definitely about it.'' After the Hokies blanked Bowling Green 37-0, with Fuller drawing an appreciative roar from the crowd when he broke up a deep pass in one-on-one coverage, he said he spent the previous week in practice working with the players who struggled while he was out would be better prepared the next time they get an opportunity. ''I try to make sure they're paying attention, every day in the film room, ever rep at practice,'' he said. ''You never know when you're going to have to step up and that's something I try to do as a leader, making sure everybody's on the same page, knowing what they're doing and getting ready to play.'' The eager students included sophomore starting safety Kyshoen Jarrett. ''He's one of the leaders of the defense and one of the older guys, but for future reference, I feel like a lot more guys are going to step up,'' Jarrett said of a lesson learned. ''Even though we're young, including myself, I could definitely step up and take charge and be more vocal for everyone else.'' - AP Sports

09/10/12 - The Hokies have held their last two opponents to under 100 yards passing. The last time they did that was in 2008 against Duke and Virginia. The last time Tech held three straight opponents under 100 yards passing was in 2006, when it finished the season ranked first in total defense, scoring defense and passing defense. CB Kyle Fuller recorded a touchdown-saving interception for the second consecutive game when he picked off Austin Peay's Jake Ryan in the end zone in the third quarter. Fuller had a touchdown-saving interception in the end zone in overtime of the Hokies' season-opening win over Georgia Tech. - The Sports Xchange

09/03/12 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: Junior cornerback Kyle Fuller may be one of the best corners in the country, but might also be one of the smallest outside linebackers in the country, as well. At 6-0, 181 pounds, Fuller can move between corner and Techís nickel back, which essentially replaces the outside linebacker, in certain situations. As a true freshman, he started six games - mostly in the nickel spot and recorded 32 tackles, including 4.0 for loss, with six pass break ups and a forced fumble. Last year, he flourished in the role as he led the team in tackles for loss last season with 14.5.He had 65 tackles, including 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, seven pass break ups, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He also pounced on a blocked punt in the end zone for a touchdown against Appalachian State. The Baltimore, Md., native is a strong open-field tackler with great closing speed. He made a game-saving tackle against Duke last year by stopping Blue Devils quarterback Sean Renfree for a loss on fourth down late in the fourth quarter when Duke was driving for a potential game-winning score. He was a second-team All-ACC selection at corner and had an interception of Michiganís Denard Robinson in the Sugar Bowl. - Virginia Tech football

08/29/12 - MOST IMPORTANT VIRGINIA TECH PLAYER: CB Kyle Fuller - While the extremely talented Logan Thomas anchors an offense that could be a work in progress, Kyle Fuller is one of the leaders and certainly the most versatile player on a veteran Virginia Tech defense. A second team All-ACC pick last year, Fuller, who is on the watch lists for two national defensive player of the year awards this year, has contributed when called upon at both safety and the whip linebacker position for Bud Foster's defense. The Hokies expect him to be a lockdown corner in his senior season. - The Sports Xchange

07/27/12 - 2012 PRESEASON ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE PRESEASON TEAM (MEDIA): CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (25), has been selected Preseason All-Atlantic Coast Conference football for the 2012 college football season by the ACC media. A second-team All-ACC selection at corner in 2011, he started all 14 games at two different positions on the defense. Fuller started at nickel back/whip linebacker for seven games and corner for the other seven games. He had 65 tackles, a team-high 14.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks on the season, also added seven pass breakups, two interceptions, five quarterback hurries, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. TOP FOUR VOTING BY POSITION (OVERALL, NAME, TEAM, VOTES): Cornerback: 1. David Amerson, NCS, 63...2. Kyle Fuller, VT, 25...3. Xavier Rhodes, FSU, 21...4. Greg Reid, FSU, 11 - Virginia Tech football

Kyle Fuller NFLDraftscout Player Profile

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Kyle Fuller the best cornerback prospect that nobody is talking about? I love his physicality and the team must have had confidence in his ability to play close to the line of scrimmage - and it certainly looks like he was able to make an impact both as a run defender and pass rusher in that area.

I don't think he is limited to playing a nickel corner role though as he has the ability to stay with receivers on the outside.

For you Hokie fans, is Fuller a bigger, more athletic version of Brandon Flowers?

indifference

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Is Kyle Fuller the best cornerback prospect that nobody is talking about? I love his physicality and the team must have had confidence in his ability to play close to the line of scrimmage - and it certainly looks like he was able to make an impact both as a run defender and pass rusher in that area.

I don't think he is limited to playing a nickel corner role though as he has the ability to stay with receivers on the outside.

For you Hokie fans, is Fuller a bigger, more athletic version of Brandon Flowers?
Said it before the season started I expect him to rise into the top 5 CB rankings. Fuller has potential to be taken in the top 10. Easily one of the top BEST press corners around. He will be in the league for a very long time.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the exact type of corner that teams like Arizona and Pittburgh like; Guys whjo can cover, but are also very comfortable playing at and around the LOS as well as good tacklers in space.

Pittsburgh could take a look at this guy with their lack of quality depth behind Taylor.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
Said it before the season started I expect him to rise into the top 5 CB rankings. Fuller has potential to be taken in the top 10. Easily one of the top BEST press corners around. He will be in the league for a very long time.

khodder wrote:
He is the exact type of corner that teams like Arizona and Pittburgh like; Guys whjo can cover, but are also very comfortable playing at and around the LOS as well as good tacklers in space.

Pittsburgh could take a look at this guy with their lack of quality depth behind Taylor.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The more I look into Fuller as a prospect, the more I like him and am really surprised he isn't getting more attention than he is. In comparison with some of the other prospects, I agree that I think he has the best chance to really move up draft boards because of his versatility and physicality to go along with his cover skills. Depending on what the Chiefs do, I would love to see Fuller opposite Brandon Flowers as both are solid in press coverage as you mentioned. If we don't address the quarterback position early (which I hope we can and will do) then I wouldn't have a problem adding an impact cornerback like Fuller.

When comparing him with other prospects like Banks, Rhodes, Amerson (including him here although he more than likely projects as a safety), Gilbert, Byndom, Ryan, Poyer, etc., I don't see how Fuller isn't getting talk about being the #1 ranked eligible cornerback.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone provide any feedback on how Fuller has looked so far this year? In the limited opportunities for me to watch VT, he has looked pretty solid. Where do you see him ending up this offseason in the cornerback rankings?

keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 3 games I've charted (Alabama, Georgia Tech, Marshall), these are the numbers against Fuller:

3/18 (17%), 56 YDS, 1 INT

Mind you he's played Amari Cooper, Devin Smith, Demetrius Evans, etc.

This kid is elite. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is long speed & the fact that he always plays boundary corner. But his feet are really good and his COD ability is elite. He also has excellent ball skills.

My NFL Draft Thread
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
From the 3 games I've charted (Alabama, Georgia Tech, Marshall), these are the numbers against Fuller:

This kid is elite. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is long speed & the fact that he always plays boundary corner. But his feet are really good and his COD ability is elite. He also has excellent ball skills.

Also a terrific tackler and isn't afraid to mix it up. Maybe the best eligible press corner in the draft. I like him as a 1st round pick. I really wanna see Tech's defense with Exum across from Fuller. Gonna be a nightmare for offenses...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:
keepnitgangsta1 wrote:

Also a terrific tackler and isn't afraid to mix it up. Maybe the best eligible press corner in the draft. I like him as a 1st round pick. I really wanna see Tech's defense with Exum across from Fuller. Gonna be a nightmare for offenses...

Yeah, I have liked Fuller for awhile and to be honest, I am surprised he hasn't gotten more attention in this forum. It looks like VT started using him more in the role that he made such an impact in as a sophomore - playing closer to the line of scrimmage on quite a few plays and attacking. I said it in another post and I will say it again, I love how physical he is and he definitely doesn't shy away from contact. He looks comfortable slicing through the trash at the LOS to attack the ball carrier.

hibdib31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

He could be. He has the size on Flowers, but Flowers was very physical at VT, laying a few highlight blows. I think Kyle has more play-making ability right now...he has looked stellar this season.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

He could be. He has the size on Flowers, but Flowers was very physical at VT, laying a few highlight blows. I think Kyle has more play-making ability right now...he has looked stellar this season.
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

To me, Flowers is way superior physically. Fuller doesn't strike me as a every-down press guy. He can do it, but his strong suit is playing a little bit off the ball and reacting when the ball is in the air.

My NFL Draft Thread
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:

To me, Flowers is way superior physically. Fuller doesn't strike me as a every-down press guy. He can do it, but his strong suit is playing a little bit off the ball and reacting when the ball is in the air.

Didn't Fuller play "whip" LB this last Saturday and crash the A/B Gaps on blitzes?

I seem to remember him manning up on the Bama WRs all game and smothering them too.

He's showing some great physicality this season.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:
keepnitgangsta1 wrote:

And Fuller's frosh brother Kendall Fuller is no slouch either. VT could have a trio of good CBs if Exum comes back healthy.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
keepnitgangsta1 wrote:

Didn't Fuller play "whip" LB this last Saturday and crash the A/B Gaps on blitzes?

I seem to remember him manning up on the Bama WRs all game and smothering them too.

He's showing some great physicality this season.

You are correct. He played whip against GT. He was really aggressive & physical in that aspect, but in coverage, I wouldn't classify him as a guy who will bully receivers around.

He did it somewhat against Bama, not too often against Marshall.

My NFL Draft Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: