Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Offense: A Work in Progress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: The Offense: A Work in Progress Reply with quote

It is clear that this offense is not the dominant force that we thought they were going to be. It is also clear that the offense is not going to be able to carry the team anytime soon.

What we saw this week was improvement.

-The game plan protected the OL and did not do anything to hurt us.

-Jay made better decisions, despite some bad throws and underwhelming production.

-We committed to the run and had 103 yards.

-We threw shorter passes to Marshall and Jeffery and allowed them to run for yards instead of forcing it down field.

We also saw more weaknesses

-Carimi and Webb did not have strong game and Carimi was particularly bad.

-We could not get into the end zone and Heater missed a TD.

-The run game stalled big time late.

This is going to take time and it is going to be painful. As much as we wanted to be an offensive team we are going to have to wait.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over first eight weeks of the past three seasons, I don't know if there has been another team in the league who has shot themselves in the foot as much as the Bears.

This is typically how it goes, in no particular order:
1. Run for little to no gain.
2. Incomplete pass.
3. False start/holding/sack.

As a result, the Bears consistently set themselves up for 3rd & long situations instead of 3rd & manageable. Makes it really difficult to move the ball.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally fell victim to the hype of adding all the skill position guys and the media loving then up.

The truth remains that this is not a playoff offense let alone a Super Bowl offense.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I personally fell victim to the hype of adding all the skill position guys and the media loving then up.

The truth remains that this is not a playoff offense let alone a Super Bowl offense.

The media talked all offseason about how explosive the offense would be. Now they're ripping guys like Cutler and Tice mercilessly. I've been losing a lot of respect for Chicago writers who I've trusted for a long time.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Offense: A Work in Progress Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
It is clear that this offense is not the dominant force that we thought they were going to be. It is also clear that the offense is not going to be able to carry the team anytime soon.

What we saw this week was improvement. The Offense and Special Teams played better even with far too many drops and bad throws by the former. ST had been embarrassed at GB. The D played just as well as it has this year.

-The game plan protected the OL and did not do anything to hurt us. They started out running the ball (73 yds the first half). But between the D adjusting to the run and the Bears running Bell the production fell off the second half. It was not a bad idea to run Bell imo because we don't yet know how long Forte is out so we need to protect Bush if we can to keep him available long term.

-Jay made better decisions, despite some bad throws and underwhelming production.

-We committed to the run and had 103 yards. The lack of the running game when it was MOST useful was what was particularly infuriating about the Packer game.

-We threw shorter passes to Marshall and Jeffery and allowed them to run for yards instead of forcing it down field.

-Carimi and Webb did not have strong game and Carimi was particularly bad. Carimi was matched up against Long most of the time so he struggled and the other guys: Rachel and Louis had false start penalties. When they brought Chris Williams in at left TE in obvious short yardage run situations I turned to my buddy and said "I guess they want the back to run into a bigger pile." Sure enough there was NO pushing back of the DL by him and Webb.

-We could not get into the end zone and Heater missed a TD. Prior to that play 17 or 15 was replaced by Hester and I said that this makes no sense you are giving up 5" here. Cutler's pass was too high and Devin could not bring it down. It would have been no problem for the guy he replaced.

This is going to take time and it is going to be painful. As much as we wanted to be an offensive team we are going to have to wait.
I am the biggest arguer about that but that first game even sucked me in.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

The media talked all offseason about how explosive the offense would be. Now they're ripping guys like Cutler and Tice mercilessly. I've been losing a lot of respect for Chicago writers who I've trusted for a long time.
That is impossible for me since I have NO trust or respect for any of them.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Offense: A Work in Progress Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

What we saw this week was improvement. The Offense and Special Teams played better even with far too many drops and bad throws by the former. ST had been embarrassed at GB. The D played just as well as it has this year.

-The game plan protected the OL and did not do anything to hurt us. They started out running the ball (73 yds the first half). But between the D adjusting to the run and the Bears running Bell the production fell off the second half. It was not a bad idea to run Bell imo because we don't yet know how long Forte is out so we need to protect Bush if we can to keep him available long term.

-We committed to the run and had 103 yards. The lack of the running game when it was MOST useful was what was particularly infuriating about the Packer game.

-Carimi and Webb did not have strong game and Carimi was particularly bad. Carimi was matched up against Long most of the time so he struggled and the other guys: Rachel and Louis had false start penalties. When they brought Chris Williams in at left TE in obvious short yardage run situations I turned to my buddy and said "I guess they want the back to run into a bigger pile." Sure enough there was NO pushing back of the DL by him and Webb.

-We could not get into the end zone and Heater missed a TD. Prior to that play 17 or 15 was replaced by Hester and I said that this makes no sense you are giving up 5" here. Cutler's pass was too high and Devin could not bring it down. It would have been no problem for the guy he replaced.

I agree with a lot of what you said,

-Chris Williams at TE was a mistake he was thrown on the ground at least once.

-To be 1st and goal on the 3 and to throw 0 fade routes to Marshall or Jeffery was terrible play calling.

-Bell showed me nothing.

-The real problem in the run game is that they sold out to stop us and I am just glad we completed the 40 yarder to Marshall so they would back off.

-I also thought Rachel was a huge improvement over Spencer.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Offense: A Work in Progress Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you said,

-Chris Williams at TE was a mistake he was thrown on the ground at least once.

-To be 1st and goal on the 3 and to throw 0 fade routes to Marshall or Jeffery was terrible play calling.

-Bell showed me nothing.

-The real problem in the run game is that they sold out to stop us and I am just glad we completed the 40 yarder to Marshall so they would back off.

-I also thought Rachel was a huge improvement over Spencer.
Bell is just getting back into the flow of things so I did not expect much from him. He was useful as a battering ram and allowed Bush to rest. He will get better.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching PGL on CSN the other day, they asked the question what do you expect the Bears offensive identity to be. Well if I'm the OC w/ our big, strong OL, w/ 1 top 5 RB and another starting quality RB backing him up, and can't pass protect well enough to keep my QB upright for 3 secs, and have a physical defense that takes the ball away and gets after the QB, my answer is quite simple. I want to be a physical offense. I want to come out everygame and punch the defense in the mouth. I want to let my OL beat up on the DL for a bit. I want to let my 2 big physical WRs take advantage of their size mismatches and get physical. Then once the defense has been softened up a bit, I pick my spots to take shots down the field to get explosive. I hope the former OL Coach who is now OC can figure this out.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
raq11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Watching PGL on CSN the other day, they asked the question what do you expect the Bears offensive identity to be. Well if I'm the OC w/ our big, strong OL, w/ 1 top 5 RB and another starting quality RB backing him up, and can't pass protect well enough to keep my QB upright for 3 secs, and have a physical defense that takes the ball away and gets after the QB, my answer is quite simple. I want to be a physical offense. I want to come out everygame and punch the defense in the mouth. I want to let my OL beat up on the DL for a bit. I want to let my 2 big physical WRs take advantage of their size mismatches and get physical. Then once the defense has been softened up a bit, I pick my spots to take shots down the field to get explosive. I hope the former OL Coach who is now OC can figure this out.

Not to mention Lance Louis is a stud at being a pulling guard
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one player on the Bears roster in need of proving his worth it is Earl Bennett. A highly drafted WR who has never excelled, he currently ranks so low among NFL WR's, Matt Forte, a RB who wasn't in the game Sunday, ranks far ahead of him.

If Jay Cutler stands a chance to excell on MNF, Bennett needs to prove he is an NFL caliber WR.

Cutler throws to Marshall, his TE's and to Forte. The other WR's need to step up. They are beginning to look like Euro soccer players begging the refs for a card, oops, a flag.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
If there is one player on the Bears roster in need of proving his worth it is Earl Bennett. A highly drafted WR who has never excelled, he currently ranks so low among NFL WR's, Matt Forte, a RB who wasn't in the game Sunday, ranks far ahead of him.

If Jay Cutler stands a chance to excell on MNF, Bennett needs to prove he is an NFL caliber WR.

Cutler throws to Marshall, his TE's and to Forte. The other WR's need to step up. They are beginning to look like Euro soccer players begging the refs for a card, oops, a flag.
Oh good god, not this trash again, did I stumble back to 2009?

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at where Bennett is ranked after 3 games.
In fact look at where he ranks over his career.
Why is he immune to criticism?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Look at where Bennett is ranked after 3 games.
In fact look at where he ranks over his career.
Why is he immune to criticism?
#1 b/c he's outperformed every WR drafted above him sans Desean Jackson and Jordy Nelson

#2 He's a #3 WR what kind of #s are you expecting out of him

#3 He has literally been our best WR for the last 3 years, and one of the most reliable over the course of his career.

Just....Stop

OneBadCat wrote:
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl Bennett's abilities shouldn't be doubted. But he needs to be a bigger part of the offense and needs to be targeted more often.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: