Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Mays fined, suspended for 1 game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Joe Mays fined, suspended for 1 game Reply with quote

Mays Suspended

Quote:
Broncos linebacker Joe Mays has been suspended one game and fined $50,000 for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Houston quarterback Matt Schaub.

I agree with the heavy fine, don't agree with suspension. Although having worthless Mays out won't hurt us much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see who takes his spot.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Probably Brooking or Trevathan. Maybe Steven Johnson sees some time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

I'd guess that Steven Johnson fills in. For the other possibilities, they look locked into their current positions. Brooking is alternating with Woodyard and Nate Irving rotates in for Von Miller. Irving might be questionable to play after his hit.

Post-game quote from Joe Mays:
Quote:
On whether he expects a fine for his hit on Houston QB Matt Schaub

ďOh yeah. Iím expecting that, but it was not my intention to do that. Iím just trying to play fast. Itís football. We all come out here, we love it, we play fast. My intention was to hurry him, to get the ball out, or to get a sack. He kind of ducked his head toward the end, and it ended up being a helmet-to-helmet. I canít take it back, so I guess itís on to the next game.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Texans-at-Broncos-postgame/a0a7fea9-f87b-4e23-bf69-d67b3dfa126e
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope someone like Travathan or Steve take advantage.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain Keith Brooking to me? Surely a younger guy adds as much as he does at this point and could use the reps. He looks so slow out there now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Can someone explain Keith Brooking to me? Surely a younger guy adds as much as he does at this point and could use the reps. He looks so slow out there now.

It is hard to watch. I'm not sure why he has been given as much playing time as he has, like you said he is clearly slow. We all know Fox would rather start a vet than an unproven player, that might be a factor. Elway said he likes Brooking as a leader, but that shouldn't warrant him so much playing time.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the team moved Irving to full time SLB? I know he played 2nd string instead of Von during preseason, but I thought they were just tinkering with the LB corps.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JRebar913

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind who fills in, please explain how this is worse than what ryan mundy did to heyward bay, or what golden tate did last week against dallas. I guess a defenseless player being blindsided, or a WR that has no way to protect himself, leading to him being sent to the hospital is not nearly as bad as what mays did to a qb holding the ball knowing mays was coming. JOKE OF A SUSPENSION
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

I'd guess that Steven Johnson fills in. For the other possibilities, they look locked into their current positions. Brooking is alternating with Woodyard and Nate Irving rotates in for Von Miller. Irving might be questionable to play after his hit.

Post-game quote from Joe Mays:
Quote:
On whether he expects a fine for his hit on Houston QB Matt Schaub

ďOh yeah. Iím expecting that, but it was not my intention to do that. Iím just trying to play fast. Itís football. We all come out here, we love it, we play fast. My intention was to hurry him, to get the ball out, or to get a sack. He kind of ducked his head toward the end, and it ended up being a helmet-to-helmet. I canít take it back, so I guess itís on to the next game.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Texans-at-Broncos-postgame/a0a7fea9-f87b-4e23-bf69-d67b3dfa126e

was Johnson #41 in pre-season?

He seemed to be around the ball alot.
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very simple.

The NFL is going to protect the QB's at all times. They are the big investment for most teams and injured QB's are bad for business.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fine was expected, the suspension is stupid. If Mays gets two inches lower on that hit, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Oh well. It's not like he's is an all-pro. We'll be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I am not a big fan of Joe Mays, but Keith Brooking is absolutely terrible. I'll take Mays all day over Brooking. I am hoping that Irving is healthy and he is used, though, even if he is healthy i'm not expecting it. I am 99.9% certain that Brooking will be the replacement for Mays when he serves his suspension.

Now i am going to rant a bit. John Fox is pissing me off. He needs to play the talented over the talentless because even though there are certainly other problems, i feel it is hurting this team...especially against top of the NFL teams like the Falcons and Texans.

Keith Brooking shouldn't touch the field on defense. He sucks. Woodyard and Irving should be on the field ahead of him all day. Sure Brooking may make fewer mental mistakes, but he is so limited it doesn't even matter. Put the guys that physically belong out on the field.

I like Lance Ball, but give Ronnie Hillman reps over him. Like Brooking, Ball is very limited physically. To be honest, i really don't care if Peyton Manning were to want the better blocking or safer assignment player in Ball because the offense is a mess IMO, including Manning (i personally don't think it is anything major physically, he just has no trust or rhythm at this point). I fully expected this, but no one is in sync so throwing Hillman into the mix more, IMO, doesn't create any different a problem. Hillman, unlike Ball, is talented and could end up being a really nice weapon for this offense.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see how we fill this void. Theres a lot of young kids in the backup roles with Irving, Trevathon, Johnson. Its time to give one a shot and see if someone runs with it.

Whatever Fox has seen from Brooking this year is as good as its gonna get. Thats not the case for these young guys with upside. Lets see if someone can take advantage.

As far as playing the middle goes I rank my choices:

1. Irving - natural position, and I want to see him get reps there and finally know what his upside is, if any.
2. Johnson - showed some in pre-season at the position. Still raw, young.
3. Trevathon - not sure he's capable of playing in the middle but I'd still rather see him there then Brooking.
4. Brooking - just say no.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

I am not a big fan of Joe Mays, but Keith Brooking is absolutely terrible. I'll take Mays all day over Brooking. I am hoping that Irving is healthy and he is used, though, even if he is healthy i'm not expecting it. I am 99.9% certain that Brooking will be the replacement for Mays when he serves his suspension.

Now i am going to rant a bit. John Fox is pissing me off. He needs to play the talented over the talentless because even though there are certainly other problems, i feel it is hurting this team...especially against top of the NFL teams like the Falcons and Texans.

Keith Brooking shouldn't touch the field on defense. He sucks. Woodyard and Irving should be on the field ahead of him all day. Sure Brooking may make fewer mental mistakes, but he is so limited it doesn't even matter. Put the guys that physically belong out on the field.

I like Lance Ball, but give Ronnie Hillman reps over him. Like Brooking, Ball is very limited physically. To be honest, i really don't care if Peyton Manning were to want the better blocking or safer assignment player in Ball because the offense is a mess IMO, including Manning (i personally don't think it is anything major physically, he just has no trust or rhythm at this point). I fully expected this, but no one is in sync so throwing Hillman into the mix more, IMO, doesn't create any different a problem. Hillman, unlike Ball, is talented and could end up being a really nice weapon for this offense.

+1. Every single time I watched Brooking, he got to the play just in time to completely miss it. He has zero speed left. IMO instincts trump speed at the LB position, but at a certain point you get so limited physically that it just doesn't matter anymore. Brooking should hang it up. He's finished.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: