Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions set Record!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Detroit Lions set Record!!! Reply with quote

Detroit Lions set NFL record for longest touchdown plays allowed

Quote:
According to The Elias Sports Bureau, the Lions are first team in NFL history to give up five 60-plus yards touchdowns in one game.

Quote:
Detroit allowed two special teams touchdowns, plus gave up two touchdown passes over 60-yards, during a 44-41 overtime loss against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

Quote:
"Can't give up big plays," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "We get a play down the seam, and even if the guy makes a circus catch behind our guy, you get that guy cleaned up and get off the field. It's not like we're in an all-out blitz. We have a safety back there that needs to be able to make the play. The other we have a chance to either break a ball up or make a tackle. We do neither one, and they go a long way.

"You don't play good defense by giving up big plays, and also like I said, we kept drives alive with penalties. It's poor defense when you're giving up big plays and you're keeping drives alive with penalties."

This made me laugh...

Quote:
In the fourth quarter, Lions cornerback Jacob Lacey tried to defend Titans receiver Nate Washington. Lacey tried to knock down the pass, but Washington caught it over the defender's back. By the time Lacey realized where the ball was, Washington was en route to a 71-yard touchdown reception.

"I tried to jump and create something," Lacey said. "I tried to break it up. In the process of that, I lost it.

"He made a hell of play. I give him a lot of credit. Sometimes those things happen, but even after that, we still had a chance."

There are more interesting quotes from the article so go give it a read through.

What do you guys think the problem is? What is the answer?
ManeLine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safeties are the problem and until we get Delmas back and a better safety to play next to him, we will give up the big play. John Wendling and Erik Coleman are just turrible.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
The safeties are the problem and until we get Delmas back and a better safety to play next to him, we will give up the big play. John Wendling and Erik Coleman are just turrible.

Safeties wouldn't help with the kickoff or punt return. Danny Crossman should be in the unemployment line right now imo.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backups struggled when trying to start. Lacey and Wendling were laughably bad on that Washington play in particular.

Also, Schwartz's plan of "draw them offsides or kick the field goal" is a good one. It's alarming that it didn't unfold that way.

We aren't done: far from it. In addition, the Bears and Packers both appear to have significant flaws. We're still a competitive team... we just need to rely on what works.

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to talk about positive records, we're the only team in NFL history to score two TDs in the final 18 seconds of a game. That's gotta be by far the craziest NFL game I've ever seen.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
ChronicLionFevr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this isn't really worth of its on thread, so i'll just put it here. notice how similar(or, i suppose opposite) the packers and Lions ends of games were?

the packers held out on a 4th down play on their own 7 only to lose on a hail mary...while the Lions used a hail mary to send our game to overtime only to lose because they couldn't convert on a 4th down from the 7.
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a record you want to set, its frustrating...

This whole season is likely to be frustrating as despite knowing we need secondary help badly, we wernt able to do a suffient job to solve it.

However return TDs hurt us last year on special teams, I thought we was over those issue going into this year, looking at the Titans game...I was wrong Sad

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that ball got snapped, but wasn't supposed to.

I also can't believe the spot of the ball on the ensuing Shaun Hill sneak. That was laughably bad.

Team Stylish
CalLionsFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:

We had safeties out there? Where? Shocked

I didn't see them.

There is always a way to solve problems WITHOUT violence
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalLionsFan wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

We had safeties out there? Where? Shocked

I didn't see them.

Lies.

You can't miss Wendling on this play:

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to miss. He was only in the frame a very short time.

For the rest of you dorks out there; reminds me of a bard I made for D&D - really fun and funny to watch, but absolutely useless in battle.
LION KING

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense !

When your defense is terrible and your back ups make up most of your special teams then odds are your special teams will be terrible too.

The Lions defense is below average good front 4 weak back 7 and I mean really weak back 7 so naturally there special teams is going to be terrible and it showed big time last week.

Who is shocked really we all knew the Dbs were terrible!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Lacey play was the most disheartening. It was well defended, and a bad throw, and should of been an easy INT, but we cant find a CB that can actually play the ball.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
That Lacey play was the most disheartening. It was well defended, and a bad throw, and should of been an easy INT, but we cant find a CB that can actually play the ball.

It was either that play or Pettigrew getting the ball taken from him that was most disheartening to me.

Probably the Lacey play though since I think we had just taken to lead prior to that play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: