Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ATL 2013 draft pick - poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position does ATL take in round 1?
DB
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
DE
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
OL
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TE
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
LB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

falcfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Tyler Efiert(TE), Mante Te'o(MLB)(if he's available), Tyrann Mathieu(CB)(if he for some reason comes out, know we wont get him but dont care love him, if for some reason we go safety Ray Ray Armstrong, or a stud DE
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to hype my Bama players but Dee Milliner is a boss. He has really stepped up at the number 1 corner spot and proved his ability to recognize the play, shut down the defender, and play the ball. And if he falls to where we will be in the draft (hopefully 32) we should take him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willthethrill_H wrote:
I always like to hype my Bama players but Dee Milliner is a boss. He has really stepped up at the number 1 corner spot and proved his ability to recognize the play, shut down the defender, and play the ball. And if he falls to where we will be in the draft (hopefully 32) we should take him.

He won't fall that far. He is as good of not better than Kirkpatrick was last year without the drugs (yet).

Also don't want to replace Dent so whoever said Te'o, I love him as a player, but I'd rather get a guy we need a starter at like TE or even RB. Even a heavy rotating position like DT would work for me as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Willthethrill_H wrote:

He won't fall that far. He is as good of not better than Kirkpatrick was last year without the drugs (yet).

Also don't want to replace Dent so whoever said Te'o, I love him as a player, but I'd rather get a guy we need a starter at like TE or even RB. Even a heavy rotating position like DT would work for me as well.
Drafting a MLB would be pointless as Dent hardly see's the field and another rookie MLB would definitely never see it. The way I see it, rounds 123 should be TE | RB | CB in any order.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l
adam9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
adam9 wrote:
Willthethrill_H wrote:

Drafting a MLB would be pointless as Dent hardly see's the field and another rookie MLB would definitely never see it. The way I see it, rounds 123 should be TE | RB | CB in any order.

I would say that with the only stipulation being we get a TE in round 1 or 2 and not 3.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on when we pick, Id love to look at a RB or a CB in the first two rounds. We do need depth at the DT and LB positions, so Id love to look at those next, and maybe a developmental TE late, but Id love to let Palmer get the starting nod for a year, and maybe bring in someone to compete with him. Maybe bring in another DE, depending on Matthews and Massaquoi's development, but I wouldnt want one early, because I like what Nolan is doing with what we have so far.

So:

1st-RB/CB
2nd-RB/CB
3rd-DT/LB
4th-DT/LB
5th-TE/DE
6th-TE/DE
7th-BPA

Lets say we pick in the 28-32 range
1-Xavier Rhodes/CB/Florida State
2-Andre Ellington/RB/Clemson
3-Sean Porter/OLB/Texas A&M
4-Mister Cobble/NT/Kentucky
5-Michael Williams/TE/Alabama
6-Cameron Meredith/DE/Nebraska
7-Steve Greer/ILB/Virginia

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Depending on when we pick, Id love to look at a RB or a CB in the first two rounds. We do need depth at the DT and LB positions, so Id love to look at those next, and maybe a developmental TE late, but Id love to let Palmer get the starting nod for a year, and maybe bring in someone to compete with him. Maybe bring in another DE, depending on Matthews and Massaquoi's development, but I wouldnt want one early, because I like what Nolan is doing with what we have so far.

So:

1st-RB/CB
2nd-RB/CB
3rd-DT/LB
4th-DT/LB
5th-TE/DE
6th-TE/DE
7th-BPA

Lets say we pick in the 28-32 range
1-Xavier Rhodes/CB/Florida State
2-Andre Ellington/RB/Clemson
3-Sean Porter/OLB/Texas A&M
4-Mister Cobble/NT/Kentucky
5-Michael Williams/TE/Alabama
6-Cameron Meredith/DE/Nebraska
7-Steve Greer/ILB/Virginia

That draft sounds pretty B.A. Especially Ellington in the 2nd and Williams in the 5th

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 7 rounds I would like giving 2 people at the draft the first name is one option all the way down and same for the group after the /...

1. TE Tyler Eifert (ND) / RB Andre Ellington (Clemson)
2. RB Eddie Lacy (Bama) / TE C.J. Fiedorowicz (Iowa)
3. CB Jordan Poyer (Oregon St.) / LB Kevin Minter (LSU)
4. DT Josh Boyd (Miss St.) / CB Rod Sweeting (GT)
4b. (compensatory pick I'd imagine we will get for Lofton) LB Jonathan Bostic (UF) / TE Ryan Griffin (UConn)
5. TE D.C. Jefferson (Rutgers) / DT Anthony Rashad White (MSU)
6. WR Devin Street (Pitt) / LB Bruce Taylor (VT)
7. LB Uona Kaveinga (BYU) / WR Keenan Davis (Iowa)

I like us double-dipping at positions of need. This way we get 2 TEs to compete for roster spots with Palmer and Gallarda (this scenario is also assuming Tony retires). I also had us double-dipping at LB because we have little depth there. One roster spot will be Peterson's, the other could be us keeping 6 LBers next year or even one of these guys coming in and outplaying our backups. I obviously like our offense and think that with a fresh set of legs at RB and another relevant TE (assuming Tony retires). I didn't have us hit the OL at all, that could change, but I do like our OL now. If I see something that leads me to believe we need an OL that could see the field in a year or two as a starter I will reconsider, but I like our reserves and we can get experienced vets and UDFAs as well. That doesn't sound great in theory, but think Phillipkeith Manley made our original roster over former draft picks... Most of these guys are guys I like at the position and are the round they should be taken in (my rankings now).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly adam I'd find that draft very frustrating.

Under TD, we've spent 4 top 100 picks on skill positions (Ryan, Jones, Gonzalez trade, Douglas), including two high first rounders. We've also spent significant money in free agency (Turner was the top RB on the market) and on extending our own guys (Roddy)

Compare that to the defensive line - 2 top 100 picks - #24 on Jerry and #83 on Peters - and Ray Edwards on a "bargain" deal (which frankly looks like a misstep and I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut or at least renegotiates his contract). Or look at defensive back, which has not had a 1st rounder yet (made up for by Moore playing like a 1st rounder) and depending on Grimes our starting corners could both be 30+.

If we spend BOTH our top two picks on skill positions and not linemen or corners, I'll be criticizing from the cheap seats for sure. Even if Boyd (who I quite like) turns into Corey Peters 2.0, using 1 pick of 8 on the lines isn't a strategy I'd endorse.

NB - when you google instant Jordan Poyer, one of the four terms is "Jordan Poyer arrested". Not sure he's our kind of guy...

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying if Tony left what would be our biggest holes in our lineup?? To me it would be Palmer and Turner... We have 3 CBs capable of starting and backups that have looked good this season (Owens and McClain). Not sure either could be starters one day, but why use a first round pick on a 4th CB for next season? I could argue DT in one, and that would work for me as he could be our 3rd DT, but I like how Jerry has played and Peters and Babs should still be fine for starting next season. If we drafted a DE in one I would be displeased as we already have too many DEs on our 53 man roster and are all under contract for next season as well. I though about using one pick on an OL, but next season we really should be fine, maybe add a vet or keep 1 UDFA or something.. Also in my head most of our starters are in place for next season besides RB and TE. Yeah but if we drafted a CB in round 1 I would be fuming.

Also I'm going to see Poyer's situation now and I'll post my findings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right we would probably stay away from him, unless he proved something to our coaches. He was arrested twice, once because there was a fight around him (not involving him or any of his friends the way I understood) and all of the people near it were banned from the bar and detained. Then months later he came back and was arrested on charges of criminal trespassing. Doesn't sound serious but we would likely not pursue him anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Willthethrill_H wrote:

He hasnt played much in the 1st 3 games. Long season ahead. Later we might prove that we need production from that spot. I just mentioned te'o becuz i like him, dont think we will be anywhere near drafting him tho.
devils1854

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly dont think that we absolutely need a TE if Tony retires this year. Yes, he is a huge weapon, and Matt's security blanket, but I see Matt as a player(mentally) like Brady or Brees. They dont have to have a certain position to be successful. I think we could insert Quizz or HD into the security blanket role for Matt, and he would still thrive. Our passing offense is more than fine. We need to solidify the run game, and potential losses at the CB position before a TE.

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
DrawABlank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Let me start off by saying if Tony left what would be our biggest holes in our lineup?? To me it would be Palmer and Turner...

Palmer, Turner, Hawley on O

McClain (nickel is a defacto starter) on D

adam9 wrote:
We have 3 CBs capable of starting and backups that have looked good this season (Owens and McClain). Not sure either could be starters one day, but why use a first round pick on a 4th CB for next season?

Who are the 3 corners? (Grimes and Owens are free agents). So we have two 30+ corners and McClain/Franks at nickel...

adam9 wrote:
I could argue DT in one, and that would work for me as he could be our 3rd DT, but I like how Jerry has played and Peters and Babs should still be fine for starting next season.

DT is insurance for 2014. I'd also like a 3-4 NT body type for flexibility for Nolan.

adam9 wrote:
If we drafted a DE in one I would be displeased as we already have too many DEs on our 53 man roster and are all under contract for next season as well.

Depth DE makes no sense with 6 DE's on the roster. However, if we can get a stud pass rusher in the 1st to eventually replace Abraham, we can cut Edwards (saving c. $2.5m) and let Sidbury walk, giving us a long-term replacement for Abraham as the major source of pressure (I see Massaquoi and Matthews as rotational pieces at best)

adam9 wrote:
I though about using one pick on an OL, but next season we really should be fine, maybe add a vet or keep 1 UDFA or something..

Who is your starting five on the OL? Blalock and Clabo is fine. Konz at guard or centre is another. Are we re-signing Baker or Svitek? Is Reynolds worth paying as a free agent? Where is the improvement in run blocking likely to come from?

DrawABlank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my current mock:

FA: Anthony Fasano (3 yrs, $7m)
Re-Sign: Sam Baker, William Moore, Michael Palmer (RFA), Brent Grimes (dependent on health and cost)
Let go: Gonzalez, McClure, Svitek, Reynolds, Sidbury, Owens

1. Kawann Short , DT, Purdue
2. Larry Warford , OG, Kentucky
3. Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State
4. Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
4C. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
5. Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut
6. Cobi Hamliton, WR, Arkansas
7. A LBer to compete with Schilier for 6th LB

Between Warford, Williams and Fasano we'll be significantly improving the run blocking, allowing a platoon of Rodgers/Snelling/Randle to produce yards on the ground. We trade some pass catching ability at TE for additional catches at RB. Adams brings some youth to the corners, and if Short pans out well then a rotation of Short, Peters, Walker/Jerry and Robertson would be decent in 2014. We get depth at LB and WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: