Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When will we open up the passing game?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: When will we open up the passing game? Reply with quote

I'm not saying to make this offense pass oriented. I'm just wondering if we'll ever stop with the dink and dunk. We rarely throw the ball farther than 15 yards. What's the point of getting Moss, Manningham, Jenkins if we won't use them? I'm really confused at what the coaching staff's plan for this offense's identity is. I know we do power run, but I would like to see them open up the passing game at least a little bit more.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt you're confused by the plan. I think it's just that you don't like it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a hanful of deep shots per game myself. I get that we are a ball control, heavy run, blah blah blah offense... but c'mon already...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the passing game definitely has me a bit annoyed. I'm not sure and maybe someone can answer this for me. Is it the play calling or is Alex just constantly taking the safe throws and not taking a chance pushing the ball down the field?
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
Yea the passing game definitely has me a bit annoyed. I'm not sure and maybe someone can answer this for me. Is it the play calling or is Alex just constantly taking the safe throws and not taking a chance pushing the ball down the field?

Both. Randy is in on a handful of plays and most often when he goes deep it is a double coverage with the exception of I think 5 routes when he has had 1 on 1, but in a lot of those instances he has had a wide open wr\te that could gain the first without any risk. Against the Vikes I didnt see SF run a route past 10 yards, 12 at the most. I could be wrong but it sure seemed like everything was short.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:

Could be a combination of both, then again I can't see the WR's after a certain point on TV.

There's no doubt the scheme is in question though. If you're down a couple scores in the 4th and are playing with a 3 WR set, one of those WR's needs to be Randy Moss. Too bad he's on the bench rotting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, we probably won't. It's just not Harbaugh's style. That's why I was confused by the signings of Moss, Manningham and the additions of Jenkins and James. We clearly aren't going to spread the field around and Moss only plays a 5th of the snaps.

Beast
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they implement more intermediate/deep throws as the games go along.

"Keep choppin' wood"
neezy007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Alex isn't confident in guys not named Vernon Davis. He is the only guy who he will take a chance with, and strangely enough, he has the worst hands and catching technique out of all our guys. Our WR core, in general, is as sure handed as any in the league.
straighthate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:

I gotta think logically, its coaching. If harbaugh wants a deep pass to open the field up, he could tell Alex, "this play no matter what, even if its just an overthrow to prove a point, throw a 40 yard pass." I thought they would actually do that last week right off the bat go get detroits crappy cb's to play scared. Still waiting for it.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Miami49er wrote:

Could be a combination of both, then again I can't see the WR's after a certain point on TV.

There's no doubt the scheme is in question though. If you're down a couple scores in the 4th and are playing with a 3 WR set, one of those WR's needs to be Randy Moss. Too bad he's on the bench rotting.

matt tweeted he only had 7 snaps in the second half Rolling Eyes

new sig... sorry alex
sbrown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our three wide sets, there usually is a wr going deep. the problem is two fold...

for example you line up two wide on left side and single wr on right, TE in right slot.... left outside wr runs a deep dig (left to right). slot left runs a seam route (moss) TE runs a shallow cross (right to left) and right outside wr runs a 6 yd curl. this is a common play in niner playbook.(or any team playbook, in different formations of course) but Alex's first option is to see where the safety goes at snap of the ball to either the seam route or stay home on the shallow cross. if he peels back to the seam route he checks it down to the TE cross. the problem with this is that the safety is already 15 yds off the LOS so he immediately is in the seam route, however if alex waits in the pocket the seam route would open up. But since the high safety is there alex will go to TE cross. Its the higher % throw. IF the LB jumps the cross, alex will hit the dig route 10-15 yds down field.

Alex hasnt developed the patience to sit in the pocket long enough to wait for the fly route (seam)to open up. If you watch the average time a brady, brees, ben or rodgers sits in the pocket it is much longer than alex. alex doesnt manuver in the pocket as well as these QB's either. The flip side is that with this mindset alex doesnt turn the ball over as much as he used to or as much as these other QB's either. because he gets it off much quicker to his intermediate routes he avoids the sacks, and potiential TO's.

I said this is a two fold issue becasue by these plays being drawn up this way, it gives alex easier crossing routes to hit quicker in the progression which allows us to stay on schedule with the down markers. if we are constanlty picking up 5-7 yds on 2nd and 3rd downs we are moving the chains and not turning the ball over, which has been a receipe for success for alex and our offense that we really cant dispute up to now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams will start keying in on those short routes all day if we don't ever try and push the ball down field.

"Keep choppin' wood"
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Honestly, we probably won't. It's just not Harbaugh's style. That's why I was confused by the signings of Moss, Manningham and the additions of Jenkins and James. We clearly aren't going to spread the field around and Moss only plays a 5th of the snaps.
i doubt that it isn't Harbaugh's style. I've seen Andrew Luck chuck it deep plenty of times while at Stanford under Harbaugh. Sure we'll never be the greatest show on turf, but to be an effective power run oriented offense you need to be able to throw it deep. Maybe it is a little bit of both. Maybe it's Harbaugh tailoring the offense around what he thinks Alex can or can't do. I mean think about when Kap has been under center in the preseason. The play calling was completely different. Regardless of what Harbaugh thinks Alex can or can't do, he has to allow Alex to throw down the field. And at the same time, I've read that Alex has a lot of flexibility in the offense, so he should be taking some chances deep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
c0insnap wrote:
i doubt that it isn't Harbaugh's style. I've seen Andrew Luck chuck it deep plenty of times while at Stanford under Harbaugh. Sure we'll never be the greatest show on turf, but to be an effective power run oriented offense you need to be able to throw it deep. Maybe it is a little bit of both. Maybe it's Harbaugh tailoring the offense around what he thinks Alex can or can't do. I mean think about when Kap has been under center in the preseason. The play calling was completely different. Regardless of what Harbaugh thinks Alex can or can't do, he has to allow Alex to throw down the field. And at the same time, I've read that Alex has a lot of flexibility in the offense, so he should be taking some chances deep.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Alex needs to take about 4 shots down field a game. With our running attack, we should be feasting on defenses with play actions.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: