Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Three Weeks In - The Biggest Problem Is ___________
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to mix it up, with two positives and two negatives.

Positives:

1. Team run defense. Every single defensive player dominates their man in run defense. Including everyone from the tackles to the safeties.

2. Team run offense. The TE, FB, and OL are all dominating their area and man in run blocking and for the most part blitz pick up. We dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage

Negatives:

1. Only 2 receivers consistently beat their man on offense, and that is Fasano and Bess. Hartline makes big plays, but he can't consistently beat good coverage. Fasano consistently beats his guy but doesn't always make the catch. Successful offensive need 4 guys that can do that.

2. While our safeties and overall linebacker play has improved, our coverage of tight ends is still suspect. It's strange because Burnett is known for his ability to cover TE, but comes to Miami and struggles. To me it's a scheme issue. We play a lot of quarters coverage so that leaves a lot of the responsibility on the linebackers to cover the TE. I like the Ravens "trap" concept they ran on NE last night. Linebacker re-routes and shades to the outside, and then they would bring Ed Reed up to undercut the inside routes, limiting Gronk to two meaningless catches.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Question.. If.. IF .. we had signed Manning.. and Bess and Hartline had 18-25 reps each.. avg 'ing 13-15 YPC... would we receiver be a need ? I'm guessing No..

now I will agree Pass rush... and it seems like this had been a "need" for awhile... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'd like to see not only a 2nd passrushing DE but a OLB aswell ( yes I will bring it up again I wanted Clay Matthews Jr.. I almost became a closet GB fan.... He's a beast.. and together with Wake.. DAMM !!
Russ57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite a change in coaching, offense, and defense we still have some common problems.

On defense we can't cover TE's and RB's across the middle and can be suckers for screen plays. We still give up too many long plays. We still only have one guy that can generate sacks.

On offense we struggle to get TD's. We move the ball but in little bits. We lack big play ability in the passing game and we tend to be predictable.

I think Tanny will help and Bush already has. As we learn the WCO and aquire the necessary talent at WR and TE I think we will be fine.

A pass rusher opposite Wake is needed and Odrick isn't the answer. I still mantain that an elite FS would do wonders. Not only must he be a ball hawk and someone that puts fear into those that go across the middle, he must also be a game general who sees to it that everyone is on the same page and in the right place.

Of course better CB's in general wouldn't hurt but that isn't the big thing.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
The biggest problem I saw in week three was pistachios. I bought a big bag for the game and wouldn't you know it, there were so many that were sealed shut.
Now i'm not talking about the ones with a little slit that you try to open and it gets stuck in your fingernail and when you try to open it, you end up peeling back your nail and your finger starts to bleed.

I mean the ones that are sealed shut and you need a hammer to open them, but when you use a hammer you end up smashing the nut into oblivion. That is a huge problem and until we can solve getting the nut without destroying it in the process I don't think we can talk about making the Super Bowl.

I can dig it.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue is expecting too much (or anything) from this team. Going in I felt they were going to be a bad team....they will play some teams tough, but do not have the playmakers to win some of those games. They are in the early stages of building this team...

As far as the team needs....the Dolphins lack big time talent in several key areas WR, DE, DB...basically, there is little teams fear about the Dolphins on both sides of the ball (with the exception of run defense)...there are no "game changers"....that's what should be address in the next couple of years.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, we are playing better than I thought we would. So I'm not complaining.

That said, we need a number one receiver. That should allow Bess and Hartline more room to move, and force the safeties to move out and allow more big plays downfield. It's not just about the impact that a number one has as production for himself but for the other receivers as well. Fasano and Hartline have had trouble finding any kind of separation. Hartline is no number one, we can't expect him to go up against Joseph and Revis and make big plays. He did when the Raiders number one corner(Ron Bartell) was out though which should tell you that as long as he is playing number one corners Tannehill will only have his TE and WR2 as legitimate targets downfield and two safeties in his face because of it if WR2 isn't being double covered that is leaving Fasano and Bush as his only targets of interest. In three receiver sets Armstrong hasn't shown much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HART-LINE.... HART-LINE..... HART-LINE......
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
HART-LINE.... HART-LINE..... HART-LINE......
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah, I gotta say, Hartline really impressed me. His hands and route running are top notch. I think he only broke one tackle all day yesterday, but either way, his production cannot be denied.

Tannehill made some really nice throws too. I was also impressed with Davone Bess on a few snaps. In general, I have to give props to what we were able to get, production wise, from this group of WR's.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good day from those 2 guys but lets still not sugar coat it, its still a problem position for us. We need a YAC guy on this team and a red zone TE and we are set and hartline and bess fill out the rest very nicely.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to hartline we could be in a tough spot in thhe off season. Do we try to get him on a value right now or play the season out. it could go 2 ways he shows us alot more of what he has been doing and we have to pay a ransom to keep him or he show he is just maybe a number 3 who is capable of a couple big games. He has had 2 monster games in the last 3 games.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
When it comes to hartline we could be in a tough spot in thhe off season. Do we try to get him on a value right now or play the season out. it could go 2 ways he shows us alot more of what he has been doing and we have to pay a ransom to keep him or he show he is just maybe a number 3 who is capable of a couple big games. He has had 2 monster games in the last 3 games.

IF the Dolphins don't resign him he will end up a Patriot and become an all pro...
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

IF the Dolphins don't resign him he will end up a Patriot and become an all pro...

No chance. An all-pro has to be able to break a tackle. I love what Hartline did yesterday, and he may very well thrive in a Patriots style offense, but he never breaks tackles. Some time ago, I posted a video of every catch Hartline has made in his career as a Dolphin. He had something like 2 broken tackles in his entire career. Plus, Hartline's YAC is absolutely abysmal. One of the very worst in the league. I think he has something like less than a yard YAC average. Again, I'm not complaining. He is the best we have, but lets not lose sight of who he is. He still has a limited skill set.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

No chance. An all-pro has to be able to break a tackle. I love what Hartline did yesterday, and he may very well thrive in a Patriots style offense, but he never breaks tackles. Some time ago, I posted a video of every catch Hartline has made in his career as a Dolphin. He had something like 2 broken tackles in his entire career. Plus, Hartline's YAC is absolutely abysmal. One of the very worst in the league. I think he has something like less than a yard YAC average. Again, I'm not complaining. He is the best we have, but lets not lose sight of who he is. He still has a limited skill set.

I was being facetious....

In the end I hope they sign him....he's a player the young QB feels most comfortable with throwing the ball to...I would really like to see Bess, Hartline and a true number 1 next year, but we shall see how the rest of this season and off season play out....
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartline makes the tough grabs when the coverage is tight, which is great. However, like others have said, he can't make huge YAC plays unless he is wide open.

Not to be a downer, but he had two huge plays yesterday, and both were more because the defense made a mistake. On the TD, there was busted zone coverage because the CB bit on the inside route. On the other play where he made that double move, the CB in all honesty simply didn't play good defense.

Bess is a consistent chain mover with great hands who is slow as molasses and can't make a big play (not to say he can't make a big catch) to save his life. He will get a little separation from his man, make the catch, the proceed to fall down when he tries to make the next guy miss.

Hartline and Bess would be very good #2 and #3s, but this offense needs a legitimate playmaker at either TE or WR to thrive. Someone who gets you excited when he catches the ball because he can take it to the house on any given play.
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't it funny how a guy can lead a team in AVG PER CATCH.. yet not be a great YAC guy ???

ya know Marshall yac was like 2.9 and 4.8 in last 2 seasons with Phins... Hartlines yac last 2 season was 5.2 and 2.9 ( I belive ) Interesting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: