Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations From Titans Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stafford's read progression goes something like

Johnson > Pettigrew > Johnson > Pettigrew > Jahvid Best (oh wait, he's not here) > Burleson > Running backs > those 2nd round draft picks receivers.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to look for him but I didn't see him specifically although they did go 4 wide at one point.

... was Ryan Broyles on the field at all?
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
I tried to look for him but I didn't see him specifically although they did go 4 wide at one point.

... was Ryan Broyles on the field at all?

I saw him on two plays, but I turned the game off early.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coaching seems to be the Lion's major malfunction early on this season. The team is disjointed, and none of their apparentstrengths are materializing, while all of their weaknesses are reacking their wretched stench.

Our gameplans have made absolutely no sense, and it appears our coaches are going through an identity crisis. Why won't we come out gunning like we should with the way the Lion's have built this roster? Why do we persist on shying away from CJ early on, and then realizing magically we can get him the ball (often) later in games?

Our offensive line has had their best start to the season since Mayhew has taken over this team. You'd think that would make our passing attack that much more deadly considering all of these resources we've spent to surround Stafford with.

I'm extremely disappointed in our coaching, and expect much more from our DL. But I knew going into the season every game this season would be a shootout, and that if our DL weren't making the plays defensively, the plays weren't going to be made.

Our DE's were highly overrated, and we were forced to play grocery baggers in our secondary from the first snap of the season. Our ST's suck as usual. Let's get the ball to CJ early and often! Let's supplement that with heavy doses of Leshoure. Let's play to our team's strengths and get back to winning. This isn't the start to the season that I envisioned at all.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Coaching seems to be the Lion's major malfunction early on this season. The team is disjointed, and none of their apparentstrengths are materializing, while all of their weaknesses are reacking their wretched stench.

Our gameplans have made absolutely no sense, and it appears our coaches are going through an identity crisis. Why won't we come out gunning like we should with the way the Lion's have built this roster? Why do we persist on shying away from CJ early on, and then realizing magically we can get him the ball (often) later in games?

Our offensive line has had their best start to the season since Mayhew has taken over this team. You'd think that would make our passing attack that much more deadly considering all of these resources we've spent to surround Stafford with.

I'm extremely disappointed in our coaching, and expect much more from our DL. But I knew going into the season every game this season would be a shootout, and that if our DL weren't making the plays defensively, the plays weren't going to be made.

Our DE's were highly overrated, and we were forced to play grocery baggers in our secondary from the first snap of the season. Our ST's suck as usual. Let's get the ball to CJ early and often! Let's supplement that with heavy doses of Leshoure. Let's play to our team's strengths and get back to winning. This isn't the start to the season that I envisioned at all.

I... I... agree with you completely.

We thrived last year, throwing despite the defense knowing we were going to throw, because we had to. I get that it wasn't ideal, but it worked. It fit our strengths. We had success doing it.

Schwartz wants to run. I get that. I like that. He likes using Leshoure, and I don't blame him. There's just a time and a place. I don't think abandoning what works is the right course of action.

Work the run in. We don't have to run to set up the pass: lets pass to set up the run. Lets do what we know works, then hand it to Leshoure 15 times per game. He's clearly a great goal line and short-yardage option, so we have that now. It doesn't mean we need to "prove" to the NFL that we're now a run-first team.

So, yeah. I agree completely.

Team Stylish
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
He's very reluctant to throw downfield early and as a result he hasn't gotten CJ involved early.

Teams this season have been dropping a 7, 8, and more players back into coverage as a norm. Stafford just hasn't had the opportunities he had last year which is why you see the offense running the ball a lot more.

Quote:
"We didn't see not one blitz, not one five-man pressure, not one snap of single-high (safety) the whole game," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "Two deep, drop seven, eight or nine the whole game."

I realize that but it hasn't changed later in the game. When they put CJ in the slot, run him underneath or post patterns he has gotten open.

He averaged 41 passes per game last year and he threw the ball 42 times today.

Agreed, especially how they played us today. Their Safties were 20 yards off the line. We should have been able to attack the are between the Safties and LBs. that's the in game, on the fly adjustments I think Linehan needs to make but struggles with.

Thats the thing I struggle with. I think our current coaching staff is not that great at drawing up gameplans initially and simply cannot make in-game adjustments. I do however think they are pretty good at making adjustments coming out if halftime.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
38andy38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I... I... agree with you completely.

We thrived last year, throwing despite the defense knowing we were going to throw, because we had to. I get that it wasn't ideal, but it worked. It fit our strengths. We had success doing it.

Schwartz wants to run. I get that. I like that. He likes using Leshoure, and I don't blame him. There's just a time and a place. I don't think abandoning what works is the right course of action.

Work the run in. We don't have to run to set up the pass: lets pass to set up the run. Lets do what we know works, then hand it to Leshoure 15 times per game. He's clearly a great goal line and short-yardage option, so we have that now. It doesn't mean we need to "prove" to the NFL that we're now a run-first team.

So, yeah. I agree completely.

I will also agree.

IMO LeShoure's role should be to protect the lead the Lions build early in the game by chewing up clock.

I don't believe any D Coordinator is going to commit 8 in the box to stop LeShoure when the best WR in the NFL is on the field. As we saw against the Titans they were fully prepared to let the Lions try to win the game by running the ball and playing both safeties high.

The commitment to the run the last 2 weeks has gotten the Lions away from what they truly are and I hope Linehan & Schwartz recognize that quickly.

*This coming from a guy who has LeShoure in his money Fantasy league lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem I see with starting with a heavy dose of the pass is that I don't remember Stafford really ever starting out hot. I was hopeful that this year he would get over his early game jitters but that hasn't happened yet. IMO we use the run early to help take the pressure off Stafford early.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
38andy38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
One problem I see with starting with a heavy dose of the pass is that I don't remember Stafford really ever starting out hot. I was hopeful that this year he would get over his early game jitters but that hasn't happened yet. IMO we use the run early to help take the pressure off Stafford early.

Stafford's first couple of series can be shaky and then he settles down, and I wouldn't mind seeing a 60/40 split in favour of the run to start the game.

I would like to see less of that stupid end around they run to Burleson early, they try it almost every game and never use it to set anything else up. Its predictable and fairly easily defended.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

38andy38 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

Stafford's first couple of series can be shaky and then he settles down, and I wouldn't mind seeing a 60/40 split in favour of the run to start the game.

I would like to see less of that stupid end around they run to Burleson early, they try it almost every game and never use it to set anything else up. Its predictable and fairly easily defended.

We use it to set up end around play action. It's predictable though, we ALWAYS seem to run it the first time and PA the second time.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: