Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running The Ball/Play Calling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoman88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Running The Ball/Play Calling Reply with quote

At the begging of the 4th quarter we had the lead. Without any hesitation we kept throwing the ball. I did not understand the play calling at all. Our offensive line had so much push on them. Even without Reggie Bush during that time, Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller were running very well.There were just plenty of times I wondered why we didnt run and take time off of the clock. I literally saw Tannehill in back to back 3 and outs go 6 passes straight (some not even completions). A couple of Tannehill's targets the Dolphins should of had. Anthony Armstrong should not be the one given targets to anyway, why isn't Hartline or Bess getting that look. Also sending Hartline deep on a lot of calls made no sense at all. We should of had a victory, but I still like what I see from the Dolphins and mark it down we have a quarterback finally in the name of Ryan Tannehill.

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're completely right. But I think if they run it and are stopped, we'd say they were too conservative and shoul've passed the ball. You only win in playcalling when the plays are executed well.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
You're completely right. But I think if they run it and are stopped, we'd say they were too conservative and shoul've passed the ball. You only win in playcalling when the plays are executed well.

This ^^^.
Hind sight is 20/20. How many times over the past few years have we been leading and gone to over conservative play calling and lost in the end. I personally like the more aggressive approach. The problem yesterday was in the execution.

The loss yesterday goes to lack of execution and mental mistakes. If Tannehill doesn't throw a pick 6 we win. If Carpenter doesn't miss one of those kicks we win. If the defense stops Tebow on the fake punt we win. Ect. Ect. Ect.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You are wrong. Lamar Miller was running the ball well. I have no clue what they were thinking by having Thomas as the RB and not Miller. Miller has better vision than Thomas. There were backside holes that Thomas missed that Reggie and Miller capitalized on throughout the game. Poor coaching.
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
No. You are wrong. Lamar Miller was running the ball well. I have no clue what they were thinking by having Thomas as the RB and not Miller. Miller has better vision than Thomas. There were backside holes that Thomas missed that Reggie and Miller capitalized on throughout the game. Poor coaching.

Agreed.

After Bush left the game our running potential died. Thomas isn't good for more than a 3-yd dive up the middle. Is Miller better? Probably, but we weren't really given the chance to see thanks to Thomas getting the majority of the snaps.

Maybe the coaches feel like Thomas is just that much better in pass protection or maybe Miller just doesn't know much of the play-book. That's my only guess.

Thomas is too unreliable and the running game loses all it's explosiveness when he's in there.

I would point out though that Hard Knocks surely indicated that Philbin wasn't much of a fan of Daniel Thomas. Philbin isn't just putting Thomas out there because he's in love with the guy. I don't think Philbin really likes Thomas at all. If Thomas is out there in place of Miller there has to be a reason.
alant_8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played a lot of single back formations in the late 3rd & 4th qtr, single back needs to be able to pass block, Miller can't, Thomas can which is why he was in despite Miller clearly being the better runner!
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alant_8 wrote:
We played a lot of single back formations in the late 3rd & 4th qtr, single back needs to be able to pass block, Miller can't, Thomas can which is why he was in despite Miller clearly being the better runner!

Here is an easy fix for that. You leave Fasano in to block and allow Miller to go out for a pass.

UniversalAuthor
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

Here is an easy fix for that. You leave Fasano in to block and allow Miller to go out for a pass.

I'd have more faith in Fasano catching the ball than Miller, at least at this point. He's a better option for Tannehill.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

I'd have more faith in Fasano catching the ball than Miller, at least at this point. He's a better option for Tannehill.

Why is that? Miller has good hands and is known to catch balls out of the backfield and split out wide. It doesn't have to be anything more than flats, wheel, or curl.

Give Miller a wheel route and I bet he beats a lot of LBs one on one.

UniversalAuthor
alant_8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

Why is that? Miller has good hands and is known to catch balls out of the backfield and split out wide. It doesn't have to be anything more than flats, wheel, or curl.

This is true but then we limit ourselves! no matter how good we think miller is, he was a 4th rnd pick so lets judge him by those standards first, anything else is a bonus??
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

For one thing, I want Fasano to be a receiver on passing plays because he's one of the only players I've seen Tannehill have a real connection with. Fasano has been Tannehill's go-to guy so far, the guy he looks to when he's in trouble.

I have no doubt Lamar Miller could be an excellent receiving back but the synergy isn't there yet.

At this point, I don't really see winning games as a priority, so I'm okay with Daniel Thomas (the better pass protector) being the lead back while Lamar Miller stays fresh and learns the offense & blocking skills. Then we can unleash an improved Lamar Miller & Tannehill next season.

Cool

Nacho Simulation Football League
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alant_8 wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

This is true but then we limit ourselves! no matter how good we think miller is, he was a 4th rnd pick so lets judge him by those standards first, anything else is a bonus??

Lamar Miller was a 2nd round talent at worst (I heard him projected as a guaranteed 1st round pick even at one point). The only reason he fell in the draft were durability issues.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
alant_8 wrote:

For one thing,I want Fasano to be a receiver on passing plays because he's one of the only player I've seen Tannehill have a real connection with. Fasano has been Tannehill's go-to guy so far, the guy he looks to when he's in trouble.

I have no doubt Lamar Miller could be an excellent receiving back but the synergy isn't there yet.

Keeping a playmaker on the side lines is just dumb. Why have every playmaker on the field? Why not use a shot gun with two backs and allow Thomas to block and allow Miller to split out or run routes out of the back field.

It's putting players in the best position to make plays.

UniversalAuthor
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:

Keeping a playmaker on the side lines is just dumb. Why have every playmaker on the field? Why not use a shot gun with two backs and allow Thomas to block and allow Miller to split out or run routes out of the back field.

It's putting players in the best position to make plays.

If you're right about Miller (and I think you are) there's probably also a really good reason we saw Thomas get more snaps than Miller last week. Philbin knows a lot more about football than you and me not to mention about the players he coaches. Wink

I will say however that Thomas has fumbled in both games in which he's played and at times when the offense had just previously turned it over. That's bad and the coaches are probably losing more trust in Thomas because of it.

I think everyone sees Miller's potential though. You'd have to be blind not to and the coaches aren't blind. I'm just saying, surely they have their reasons.

Let's be honest here, Miller doesn't exactly sound brilliant in interviews, maybe he's really struggling to learn the play-book? Maybe the coaches aren't comfortable with him in there while Tannehill is consistently calling audibles at the line?

Something's up with this, I'm telling you. Miller clearly has more physical ability than Thomas. Everyone sees that.

I think all this criticism over Miller's limited playing time will go away as the season goes along. If Thomas is still ahead of Miller on the depth chart in week 12, I think they'll be a problem. Week 4 though? It's understandable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: