Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BYE Week Discussion Thread: Where do we go from here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: BYE Week Discussion Thread: Where do we go from here? Reply with quote

I figured I'd just post this now so we all have one central thread to talk about this team during the bye week.

I was angry we had a bye so early, but at this point, it can only help. We NEED our starters back healthy on defense and LeBeau needs time to figure out that what he is doing now isnt working. Not sure he will figure that out, but the bye week cant hurt.

Thats the only solace I take from losing a game the way we did and then having an early bye....the fact that we have a chance to right the ship early on.

Thats not to say it will happen, but we arent going to survive this season if the defense keeps playing the way he has.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we fired Lebeau tomorrow? Shocked Probably, won't happen though. Well, anywhere but up for our defense. We just need to play more press, since that's what they're all best at. No more Gay and McFadden on our team, so why are we abandoning this plan? I really like Haley's play calling so far on pass plays; run plays a little bit to be desired. Excited to have Harrison back, so Woodley can explode since Harrison can actually generate a pass rush, and will be focused on. Polamalu always seems like he's in the right place at the right time in games like these, so always great to have him back, especially replacing our worst player of the 22 starters.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's honest to god a shame the lack of talent on defense that isn't stepping up so far this season. I mean LeBeau has hampered them but we're FUDGED for the foreseeable future if Harrison and Poly mean that much. Our O looks good for the foreseeable future if Rainey gets used right. But everything else on this team sucks.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll discuss more later on, of course. But I'm putting this out there now:

Yes, having Harrison and Troy back is going to help-but it is NOT going to solve the problems on defense.

We've dealt with injuries before and still kept the defense at the top of the league. So we can't use that excuse.

There are multiple reasons for this poor play.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
It's honest to god a shame the lack of talent on defense that isn't stepping up so far this season. I mean LeBeau has hampered them but we're FUDGED for the foreseeable future if Harrison and Poly mean that much. Our O looks good for the foreseeable future if Rainey gets used right. But everything else on this team sucks.

I dont know if Id go quite that far.

IMO, guys like Hood, Heyward and Timmons just need to be allowed to do what they do best.

And LeBeau IMO is handcuffing Woodley right now. Woodley, when rushing, was getting close on nearly efvery play. Sadly, LeBeau is playing such a lack defense and has no answer for no huddle or hurry up offenses. He always did have issues, but now teams are starting to run that early in games...not just late in games.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

I dont know if Id go quite that far.

IMO, guys like Hood, Heyward and Timmons just need to be allowed to do what they do best.

And LeBeau IMO is handcuffing Woodley right now. Woodley, when rushing, was getting close on nearly efvery play. Sadly, LeBeau is playing such a lack defense and has no answer for no huddle or hurry up offenses. He always did have issues, but now teams are starting to run that early in games...not just late in games.

What's the difference in your opinion from first half pass defense success to 2nd half?
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BYE Week Discussion Thread: Where do we go from here? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I figured I'd just post this now so we all have one central thread to talk about this team during the bye week.

I was angry we had a bye so early, but at this point, it can only help. We NEED our starters back healthy on defense and LeBeau needs time to figure out that what he is doing now isnt working. Not sure he will figure that out, but the bye week cant hurt.

Thats the only solace I take from losing a game the way we did and then having an early bye....the fact that we have a chance to right the ship early on.

Thats not to say it will happen, but we arent going to survive this season if the defense keeps playing the way he has.

Where do we go from here? Lets say where we should go, because I have a bad idea where they decide to go.

Solace / Should:

get OL to run block and get FB in there more to help the running game. No cowher ball, but just a real running game. This will open the passing game even more so expect 40+ point games like other teams seem to enjoy (even when they lose as well)
get D scheme changed, and more press coverage with nickel as the base. Nickel as the Base, does anyone not think this is obvious accept for teams that really run the ball well. Timmons can't cover anymore, consider removing him in the nickel. Foote looks faster and better than timmons, can't believe that, but maybe it is just me?

Get pressure with 4 players on the line and have more cb's in the game. Rotate the DL with all the players. The days of having 91. 98, 99 stay in all the time in the base 3-4 are gone, get with the game of today.

ben/wr's are playing at high level, so the blame goes elsewhere mostly

Will:

continue with same scheme on D and O. D might get boost from Troy and Harrison, but that just delays the required changes on D. OL will continue to passblock well enough for ben to get his stats and points (against most teams), but it might not be enough to win once we factor in the delay of game penalties and other costly/timely penalties and the D allowing so many points vs teams that can score. Is the schedule like last year?

Penalties, this team seems to have a problem with penalties, timing of them and it isn't just one player. Is this coaching discipline or lack of?

Have high scoring games with records for passing yards etc, but will it mean anything?

Not sure if this makes us feel better about the bye week, but lets hope some adjustments are made. This loss could be the best thing for this team if it makes the coaches make the changes required.

The question is, will they make the changes?
mosteelers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not only down on Lebeau but I am down on the whole staff and the players. We are so bad right now I can't imagine there isn't one guy on the defensive side, HC included that can't figure this crap out.

The players, I thought they were talented, but I am not so sure anymore. Maybe I just have Black and Yellow glasses on and don't see the reality. I don't see a lot of playmakers out there.

Yeah, Yeah, the sky is falling but seriously, this team can't stop a decent QB from going off right now.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we play in soft coverage again? The defense improved drastically against Sanchez once we started playing bump and run man, but it looked like we were giving a lot of cushion again today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just being an optimist but I expect a vast improvement once our players get healthy. Our defense has been sub par to say the least but you can't take away two former DPOY and not expect a major drop off. We've been without our two best defensive players for two games now and it absolutely show. Of course that hand cuffs our defense. That being said, I haven't been impressed by Leabeau at all. Like posters have said previously, dropping Woodley into coverage needs to stop. Every time he rushes the passer, he usually gets very close to getting a sack or hurry. I was expecting to notice Timmons a bit more but he has been underwhelming. The days of us being an elite defense seems to have ended but once our players get healthy, there's no reason we shouldn't be top 10.

That being said, we need to go D heavy in the draft next year and particularly need some play makers in the secondary. We've ignored our secondary for too long now and it's catching up to us. We've faced Manning (in his first game back), Sanchez and Palmer and we have 0 interceptions....how is that possible??

props to dawg24
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
Maybe I'm just being an optimist but I expect a vast improvement once our players get healthy. Our defense has been sub par to say the least but you can't take away two former DPOY and not expect a major drop off. We've been without our two best defensive players for two games now and it absolutely show. Of course that hand cuffs our defense. That being said, I haven't been impressed by Leabeau at all. Like posters have said previously, dropping Woodley into coverage needs to stop. Every time he rushes the passer, he usually gets very close to getting a sack or hurry. I was expecting to notice Timmons a bit more but he has been underwhelming. The days of us being an elite defense seems to have ended but once our players get healthy, there's no reason we shouldn't be top 10.

That being said, we need to go D heavy in the draft next year and particularly need some play makers in the secondary. We've ignored our secondary for too long now and it's catching up to us. We've faced Manning (in his first game back), Sanchez and Palmer and we have 0 interceptions....how is that possible??

Ummm.... Ryan Clark had one today.
Steelers22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Steelers22 wrote:

Ummm.... Ryan Clark had one today.

scratch that then....completely blanked and forgot about that. Point remains though, our defense has a serious problem forcing turnovers

props to dawg24
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to post some overall thoughts...

-Keisel is done...Hampton close.
-Timmons needs cut
-Mundy is garbage.
-Worilds/Carter isn't cutting it...Worilds is a bust.
-Hood is damn close to being worthless
-As I said before...OGs are too fat and slow to move.
-No running game but due to it being forced its setting up PA...necessary evil.
-Ben is a boss...his critics can shove it.

I said this several times last year...I was "that guy"...I said Arians had a better year then LeBeau. Not a knock on Haley...I think it may be time for a change from LeBeau.

No adjustments...different looks...no pass rush...no blitzes...nothing.

With them being in deep dog poo salary cap wise next year and done veterans likely being cut or done especially on defense, it might be right time.

There is no young impact talent on the defense save for Woodley...and it shows. No splash plays, no turnovers, no game changers...nothing.

End of rant.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good start would be canning Tomlin.

What a disgrace this team is, and it starts at the top.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader O'Cola wrote:
a good start would be canning Tomlin.

What a disgrace this team is, and it starts at the top.

Gotta love fairweather fans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: