Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Forum Marathon Survival Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
One strike for losing, one strike for being late?

sounds like Highschool all over again. Laughing

Week 3 Winners:
Steelers over Raiders
Jets over Dolphins


Any picks for this week made after the start of the Thursday games will not be counted.

The contestant will be charged with a strike and asked to make two picks the following week.

I really do not like to impose penalties, but the rules are the rules and I'm trying to be fair to the people who sent their picks in on time. I have posted reminders prior to the deadline each week, so there is no excuse.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, after thursday, why? In other marathon games I always make my pick on sunday before the games if I don't pick a thursday night game (which I rarely do), I never got pinged for that?

It's unfair to the people picking on sunday as well. If you pick thursday you can wait till late to take into account last minute injuries and such, giving you an advantage over people picking a sunday game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Wait, after thursday, why? In other marathon games I always make my pick on sunday before the games if I don't pick a thursday night game (which I rarely do), I never got pinged for that?

It's unfair to the people picking on sunday as well. If you pick thursday you can wait till late to take into account last minute injuries and such, giving you an advantage over people picking a sunday game.


Huh?

The rules are pretty clear and were posted prior to the start of the contest. The deadline is there so that everyone is picking from the same pool of games every week, on the same timetable, with the same information available to them. It takes less than a minute to log in and post your weekly pick. I have posted reminders every single week. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Wait, after thursday, why? In other marathon games I always make my pick on sunday before the games if I don't pick a thursday night game (which I rarely do), I never got pinged for that?

It's unfair to the people picking on sunday as well. If you pick thursday you can wait till late to take into account last minute injuries and such, giving you an advantage over people picking a sunday game.


Huh?

The rules are pretty clear and were posted prior to the start of the contest. The deadline is there so that everyone is picking from the same pool of games every week, on the same timetable, with the same information available to them. It takes less than a minute to log in and post your weekly pick. I have posted reminders every single week. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.


I just don't see why you can't just pick a sunday game on sunday, I do this with nearly every marathon game out there. Or you could pick a monday night game on monday, you're only limiting the options as to which games you can pick, so it's not like there's any advantage in it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:


I just don't see why you can't just pick a sunday game on sunday, I do this with nearly every marathon game out there. Or you could pick a monday night game on monday, you're only limiting the options as to which games you can pick, so it's not like there's any advantage in it.


Because things can happen between Thursday and Sunday, especially in terms of injuries and weather.

I don't want a situation where e.g. Aaron Rodgers is hurt and his status isn't announced until game day. Then all of a sudden the people who waited until game day have the advantage of knowing if he's going to play or not.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Kellerman wrote:


I just don't see why you can't just pick a sunday game on sunday, I do this with nearly every marathon game out there. Or you could pick a monday night game on monday, you're only limiting the options as to which games you can pick, so it's not like there's any advantage in it.


Because things can happen between Thursday and Sunday, especially in terms of injuries and weather.

I don't want a situation where e.g. Aaron Rodgers is hurt and his status isn't announced until game day. Then all of a sudden the people who waited until game day have the advantage of knowing if he's going to play or not.


It's the other way around. Now someone picking on thursday has the advantage, because he has the most up to date knowledge. People picking on sunday or monday have to keep their fingers crossed nothing changes.

If everyone can pick until the day of the game they're actually picking (so monday for MNF, etc), everyone making a pick has the same option to get updates just prior to the game. That way it's fair for everyone.

It's not like waiting has extra advantages, you'r essentially forgoing the option to from an extra game (TNF).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:


It's the other way around. Now someone picking on thursday has the advantage, because he has the most up to date knowledge. People picking on sunday or monday have to keep their fingers crossed nothing changes.

If everyone can pick until the day of the game they're actually picking (so monday for MNF, etc), everyone making a pick has the same option to get updates just prior to the game. That way it's fair for everyone.

It's not like waiting has extra advantages, you'r essentially forgoing the option to from an extra game (TNF).


That's complete nonsense. Especially as you go deeper into the season and contestants have fewer and fewer choices.

The rules are the rules. They were designed with fairness and simplicity in mind. It's not unreasonable to ask people to make their picks by Thursday.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Kellerman wrote:


It's the other way around. Now someone picking on thursday has the advantage, because he has the most up to date knowledge. People picking on sunday or monday have to keep their fingers crossed nothing changes.

If everyone can pick until the day of the game they're actually picking (so monday for MNF, etc), everyone making a pick has the same option to get updates just prior to the game. That way it's fair for everyone.

It's not like waiting has extra advantages, you'r essentially forgoing the option to from an extra game (TNF).


The rules are the rules.


Mad

Ok, so I now have 2 strikes and I have to pick 2 games next week, correct?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47947
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Week 1 pick: Bears over Colts

Week 2 pick: 49ers over Lions

Week 3 pick: Steelers over Raiders


Looks like one strike for me.

Week 4 pick: Cardinals over Dolphins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:


Mad

Ok, so I now have 2 strikes and I have to pick 2 games next week, correct?


At last we understand each other.

Wink
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the weekly results, as no one has chosen either Green Bay or Seattle as their weekly winner.

A few people have struggled to get their picks in on time and one person made two picks when he was not asked to, so I counted only his first selection.

Sad
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I have updated the weekly results, as no one has chosen either Green Bay or Seattle as their weekly winner.

A few people have struggled to get their picks in on time and one person made two picks when he was not asked to, so I counted only his first selection.

Sad


Wait, do I have 1 strike or 2? I only see one red strike in the standings.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6086
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
milanb wrote:
I have updated the weekly results, as no one has chosen either Green Bay or Seattle as their weekly winner.

A few people have struggled to get their picks in on time and one person made two picks when he was not asked to, so I counted only his first selection.

Sad


Wait, do I have 1 strike or 2? I only see one red strike in the standings.


As far as I can tell, your Week 1 and Week 2 picks both won. You should have only one strike.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73968
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting game concept so far, milanb, thanks for hosting it.

Applause
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3596
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
milanb wrote:
I have updated the weekly results, as no one has chosen either Green Bay or Seattle as their weekly winner.

A few people have struggled to get their picks in on time and one person made two picks when he was not asked to, so I counted only his first selection.

Sad


Wait, do I have 1 strike or 2? I only see one red strike in the standings.


As far as I can tell, your Week 1 and Week 2 picks both won. You should have only one strike.


Oh, so the late pick didn't count at all (because I had that one wrong).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group