Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wes Welker - Worth It?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18874
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would rather save the picks, and use the money for a much larger upgrade at a more important position by re-signing Avril over starting LoJack.

The money down the road is irrelevant: I have stressed that I wouldn't re-sign him unless his asking price was minimal.

Would you honestly not trade a 5th for Welker right now, just to give us a great slot receiver to pair with Calvin for the rest of this season?


I would be surprised if the Patriots only wanted a 5th round pick for him. It's going to cost a lot more than that and it wouldn't be worth it for a rental player. I want the Lions to address other positions with that money going forward so I wouldn't want to pay him what he wants so in my eyes it would be a waste of a draft pick.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25784
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would rather save the picks, and use the money for a much larger upgrade at a more important position by re-signing Avril over starting LoJack.

The money down the road is irrelevant: I have stressed that I wouldn't re-sign him unless his asking price was minimal.

Would you honestly not trade a 5th for Welker right now, just to give us a great slot receiver to pair with Calvin for the rest of this season?


I would be surprised if the Patriots only wanted a 5th round pick for him. It's going to cost a lot more than that and it wouldn't be worth it for a rental player. I want the Lions to address other positions with that money going forward so I wouldn't want to pay him what he wants so in my eyes it would be a waste of a draft pick.

Yeah, I guess that's the point I'm trying to make: a lot of posters ruled him out immediately, but we don't even know the asking price at this point. The Pats aren't going to keep him: his age and price tag don't match his minimal contribution to the team. Everyone knows they're going to trade him, that he wants a big contract, and that he's beginning his decline. They don't really have a ton of leverage in this, and he isn't worth what he was a few years ago.

I'd even trade a 4th for him, and I think his impact this year would definitely be worth it. We're at a point where we have some young players who aren't ready for the spotlight, but we're also in a position to possibly make a playoff run this year. Acquiring Welker would be huge in that regard... and, in my opinion, that makes him worth it.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35445
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would rather save the picks, and use the money for a much larger upgrade at a more important position by re-signing Avril over starting LoJack.

The money down the road is irrelevant: I have stressed that I wouldn't re-sign him unless his asking price was minimal.

Would you honestly not trade a 5th for Welker right now, just to give us a great slot receiver to pair with Calvin for the rest of this season?

I absolutely would not trade a 5rd pick for him.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BlackandBlue


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2102
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35445
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?

Why take your young players off the field, slowing their development, for a small upgrade at the slot position, a position of relative depth on your team? Unless you feel you are legitimate Super Bowl contenders and feel the move makes you favorites, I see no reason to give away a pick(any pick) and risk development of younger players at a position of depth for a rental. Completely illogical. People are severely overvaluing a rental. We already traded away our 4rd, now we are offing a 5rd for little to help? I mean I guess as fans only the first 3 rounds are exciting anyhow, right?

Now if you are talking about a CB, I might be on board.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?


Last edited by FootballPhreak on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8600
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?


In 2009 we took Follet in the 7th and he ended up starting for us before he hurt his neck.

In 2010 we got Willie Young in the 7th and lot's of people around here love him as part of the DE rotation.

This administration actually has a pretty good eye for late round talent.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cibowilson


Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 2040
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we are ready to win the superbowl this year. I'm afraid we couldn't afford him after this year so in my opinion it would be a waste.

But here is an interesting trade possibility, if Chris Johnson has a bad game against us, do you think he goes on the trade block? If so would you guys be interested? And if so what would you give up for him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18874
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?


If that was the asking price then we could talk about it. But, they're going to want more for him than that. They aren't going to just give him away for free. Last year he had 122 receptions for 1,569 yards, 9 TD and 77 first downs. That production warrants a lot more than a 5th round pick. The Patriots will get a lot out of whoever they trade him for (if they do it).
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18874
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
I don't think we are ready to win the superbowl this year. I'm afraid we couldn't afford him after this year so in my opinion it would be a waste.

But here is an interesting trade possibility, if Chris Johnson has a bad game against us, do you think he goes on the trade block? If so would you guys be interested? And if so what would you give up for him?


I'm not interested in him at all. I want nothing to do with Chris Johnson.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BlackandBlue


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2102
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?


In 2009 we took Follet in the 7th and he ended up starting for us before he hurt his neck.

In 2010 we got Willie Young in the 7th and lot's of people around here love him as part of the DE rotation.

This administration actually has a pretty good eye for late round talent.


The two guys you listed are back ups. Welker would be the second best WR on this team, and I don't think it'd be particularly close. Our offense, as explosive as it is, has flaws, and I think Welker could do a lot toward fixing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8600
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?


In 2009 we took Follet in the 7th and he ended up starting for us before he hurt his neck.

In 2010 we got Willie Young in the 7th and lot's of people around here love him as part of the DE rotation.

This administration actually has a pretty good eye for late round talent.


The two guys you listed are back ups. Welker would be the second best WR on this team, and I don't think it'd be particularly close. Our offense, as explosive as it is, has flaws, and I think Welker could do a lot toward fixing it.


You asked if there has been a single significant contributor drafted that late. You didn't ask for starters (even though Follet was a starter).
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 25938
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not worth it, but for a 5th? I'd think about it, but I don't think we can afford him with our cap situation right now. He would be sick with Calvin though.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18166
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
I don't think we are ready to win the superbowl this year. I'm afraid we couldn't afford him after this year so in my opinion it would be a waste.

But here is an interesting trade possibility, if Chris Johnson has a bad game against us, do you think he goes on the trade block? If so would you guys be interested? And if so what would you give up for him?


I'm not interested in him at all. I want nothing to do with Chris Johnson.


Shoot. Id take him all day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25784
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?

Why take your young players off the field, slowing their development, for a small upgrade at the slot position, a position of relative depth on your team? Unless you feel you are legitimate Super Bowl contenders and feel the move makes you favorites, I see no reason to give away a pick(any pick) and risk development of younger players at a position of depth for a rental. Completely illogical. People are severely overvaluing a rental. We already traded away our 4rd, now we are offing a 5rd for little to help? I mean I guess as fans only the first 3 rounds are exciting anyhow, right?

Now if you are talking about a CB, I might be on board.

If taking Titus off the field for the rest of this season helps us compete for a Super Bowl, I'm doing it. That's what this comes down to: he's a substantial upgrade at a key position.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35445
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Posters here are seriously overrating the value of later round picks. You wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Welker? Really? Has there been a single significant contributor drafted on this team in the 5th round or later since the new regime took over?

Why take your young players off the field, slowing their development, for a small upgrade at the slot position, a position of relative depth on your team? Unless you feel you are legitimate Super Bowl contenders and feel the move makes you favorites, I see no reason to give away a pick(any pick) and risk development of younger players at a position of depth for a rental. Completely illogical. People are severely overvaluing a rental. We already traded away our 4rd, now we are offing a 5rd for little to help? I mean I guess as fans only the first 3 rounds are exciting anyhow, right?

Now if you are talking about a CB, I might be on board.

If taking Titus off the field for the rest of this season helps us compete for a Super Bowl, I'm doing it. That's what this comes down to: he's a substantial upgrade at a key position.

There really is no debate to be had there. Wes Welker does not make us SB contenders. If there was a shred of hope he might, I might bite. But he doesn't. I would hardly call #2WR and a slot receiver a "key" position. And the players you are taking targets from are Grew, Burleson, and RB du Jor, not Titus.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group