Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Healing Mendenhall impresses in practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Redman isnt struggling..our run blocking is. Cant blame the running backs when they are getting hit immediately.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Mendy will be used in this new offense.

Redman isn't running with any authority and Dwyer is gaining yards behind the same unit. Dwyer has 3 less carries and 26 more yards behind the current OL. I think it's Redman!

LMAO....Dwyer isnt getting much on the ground either.

Haley is having Redman run outside too much.

But no..youre right. Its Redman's fault that defenders are getting to him as soon as he touches the ball and that Haley's is calling plays that make him run sideways instead of downhill.

43M you were the same poster discrediting Mendy for struggling behind the OL and praising Redman for doing what some said was considered better.

Mendy is far better overally than any other back on the roster. I believe he'll prove how great he is once he gets back on the field.

Where can you prove he is better overally (not a word) than Redman? I agree he has more talent than Redman, but does he use that talent very effectively, the past couple years? I think not.

It's called a typo, get a grip!

How are you going to use your talent when you don't get a chance. Ray Rice for instance gets used properly. If Mendy was used anywhere close to that he'd be dangerous. The Steelers now have a offense where speeds is necessary and no RB on the roster possesses size, speed, strength and quickness that Mendy has. Redman is a plodder and a very good one at that but easily gameplanned against. Dwyer is a cross between Mendy and Redman but didn't seem motivated till this season.

I believe Mendy will resign he isn't going to be that expensive and you cant' just change RBs every 4-5 yrs and expect consistency. Yes RBs are easy to come across by some opinions. But for the chemistry of team play it's best to keep the core nucleus together.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Redman isnt struggling..our run blocking is. Cant blame the running backs when they are getting hit immediately.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Mendy will be used in this new offense.

Redman isn't running with any authority and Dwyer is gaining yards behind the same unit. Dwyer has 3 less carries and 26 more yards behind the current OL. I think it's Redman!

But no..youre right. Its Redman's fault that defenders are getting to him as soon as he touches the ball and that Haley's is calling plays that make him run sideways instead of downhill.

43M you were the same poster discrediting Mendy for struggling behind the OL and praising Redman for doing what some said was considered better.

Mendy is far better overally than any other back on the roster. I believe he'll prove how great he is once he gets back on the field.

If youre going to debate something, at least bring facts to the table.

I never...and I repeat...NEVER discredited Mendenhall for not playing well behind our line. Ive stated countless times that I thought our OLine, scheme and Bruce Arians limited him at times. And Ive also stated several times that Mendenhall is the more talented back between him and Redman.

My ACTUAL comments on Mendenhall and Redman is that Mendenhall is nothing special in general and that his poor vision and indeciveness hold him back as much as anything. And while Mendenhall is more talented overall, Redman is better suited for this offense because he is a north/south runner while Mendy is a dancer.

But RIGHT NOW, Haley is trying to pound a square peg into a round hole in two facets of the running game by making our unatheletic lineman and our downhill, but slow footed running back do things he shouldnt be. Our running game should be extremely straightforward...both literally and figuratively.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I never...and I repeat...NEVER discredited Mendenhall for not playing well behind our line. Ive stated countless times that I thought our OLine, scheme and Bruce Arians limited him at times. And Ive also stated several times that Mendenhall is the more talented back between him and Redman.

My ACTUAL comments on Mendenhall and Redman is that Mendenhall is nothing special in general and that his poor vision and indeciveness hold him back as much as anything. And while Mendenhall is more talented overall, Redman is better suited for this offense because he is a north/south runner while Mendy is a dancer.

But RIGHT NOW, Haley is trying to pound a square peg into a round hole in two facets of the running game by making our unatheletic lineman and our downhill, but slow footed running back do things he shouldnt be. Our running game should be extremely straightforward...both literally and figuratively.

I'm not gonna go back and reread all your post on Mendy, but there have been discussion between you and I before about it.

How do you know a RB has poor vision? Do you know what gap he's suppose to run through. The Steelers don't run a one cut system so there aren't cut back lanes designated. So if there is a hole back side the RBs aren't looking for it.

Nothing special? C'mon there is only 1 or 2 special RBs in the league. ( AP and Gore) There are a bunch playing in systems using there abilities to the max. Put any other RB in Steelers system and he'd have the same problem.

The funny thing is Ben gets credit for succeeding behind the same OL. But mendy doesn't get the same treatment. Mendy is a beast and I get upset that he is so easily discarded like trash.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Mendy is a beast and I get upset that he is so easily discarded like trash.

Never have seen anyone advocate that position.

Discussion and criticism does not mean advocating he be discarded like trash. Not the same at all. No?

There's a happy medium when it comes to hyperbole. When you swing to such an extreme it really undermines the thought behind the post.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with steelproven and in my opinion since I've bcome active in the steelers forum Mendy is usually crapped on by most posters in here. I've let that be known and taken flack for it, but its what I see going on,

It's just a fact. The truth is the steelers have one guy on the roster and who's gone over 1000 yds two straight years, would have last year if he didn't get injured in week 15, he has 13 tds in a season more than any other steelers position player in a season, and he's the only back to catch over 20 passes in a year. I agree with SteelProven that he was never utilized properly by Arians, the line has been average at best at run blocking since Fanneca left and he doesn't get near the touches that he should.

If Mendenhall is healthy he's by far the steelers best back, not just most talented but the BEST. He could be a little more decisive as 43 brings up and a little tougher in the redzone sometimes but other than that I don't see how anyone can have a problem with him.

He's the teams most gifted RB. HE has the most elusiveness, he is their best blocking RB, best receiving RB and I think he has far better vision than any of the others.

I get why people like Redman, I like his toughness and North and south style also. In reality though, I think this is a classic case of the back up is the fans most favorite player on the team. Until this season, when Redman's been the starter (and proving to not be as good as Mendy) everyone loved him and thought he should start. Now that Redman is starting, everyone is in love with the new back up Dwyer... Coincidence.... I think not? Confused Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:34 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

But RIGHT NOW, Haley is trying to pound a square peg into a round hole
in two facets of the running game by making our unatheletic lineman and our downhill, but slow footed running back do things he shouldnt be. Our running game should be extremely straightforward...both literally and figuratively.

Totally agree Kethy!!
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I said that Mendy wasn't 100% at fault for his struggles and got laughed at and had people asking why I loved him so much.

I also said I believe Dwyer is a better runner than Redman (at the time Dwyer couldn't block) and got the same treatment.

I'm pretty sure it was treat88 who discarded my opinion because it was a 'gut feeling' about Dwyer. Now he can pick up the blitz (and he can) and catch reasonably well he is the better running back IMO.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Mendy is a beast and I get upset that he is so easily discarded like trash.

Never have seen anyone advocate that position.

Discussion and criticism does not mean advocating he be discarded like trash. Not the same at all. No?

There's a happy medium when it comes to hyperbole. When you swing to such an extreme it really undermines the thought behind the post.

It might be a bit extreme, but what can i say. I just don't know what fans expect Mendy to do. Every running back misses a hole if it isn't 6 ft wide. I can't remember what game it was, but I remember the announcers talking about how the Steelers OL never got any push and was always blocking on there side of the LOS. Your not gonna have a good running game if you can't get push.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendenhall has elite physical tools...by far the most skilled rb in the team. He lacks vision...it's why he'll never be elite.

Dwyer and Redman are what they are...slow pluggers who shouldn't be starting.

OGs are also part of the running game problem. Too fat to move and pull effectively. DeCastro will help a ton when he comes back. Plus the fact none of our TEs or FB can block at the POA or set an edge.

I expect 2/3 to be fixed come late season if everyone comes back healthy.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Last year I said that Mendy wasn't 100% at fault for his struggles and got laughed at and had people asking why I loved him so much.

I also said I believe Dwyer is a better runner than Redman (at the time Dwyer couldn't block) and got the same treatment.

I'm pretty sure it was treat88 who discarded my opinion because it was a 'gut feeling' about Dwyer. Now he can pick up the blitz (and he can) and catch reasonably well he is the better running back IMO.

Might have been me man. Nothing personal.

I am not much of a believer in Dwyer. Freely admit that. I have a problem with professional athletes who are not in top physical condition or who have to be further motivated to work at staying there. That should just be baseline. I don't expect everyone to be rocked up, I do expect them to be dedicated. I don't believe Dwyer can stay healthy and not fat for any length of time. I won't make any jokes about "gut" feelings and Dwyer. Too easy.

I do agree a healthy Dwyer is better than an injured Redman though.

Both are borderline starting NFL talents at the position.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft another RB in round 1 next year.

I just don't trust Mendenhall. I don't think he'll really be anything more than an average RB.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft another RB in round 1 next year.

I just don't trust Mendenhall. I don't think he'll really be anything more than an average RB.
Yeah my prediction is that the steelers will let Mendenhall leave in free agency, they will tender Redman as a restricted FA and they will draft a RB in round 2 or 3, maybe a guy like Andre Ellington from Clemson will be available then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Might have been me man. Nothing personal.

I am not much of a believer in Dwyer. Freely admit that. I have a problem with professional athletes who are not in top physical condition or who have to be further motivated to work at staying there. That should just be baseline. I don't expect everyone to be rocked up, I do expect them to be dedicated. I don't believe Dwyer can stay healthy and not fat for any length of time. I won't make any jokes about "gut" feelings and Dwyer. Too easy.

I do agree a healthy Dwyer is better than an injured Redman though.

Both are borderline starting NFL talents at the position.

Don't worry about it.

If you'd seen me you'd be making jokes about my 'gut' feeling haha.

I think the light has turned on for him now, I expect he will remain in shape when he needs to be.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
LTF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't think Colbert is dumb enough to make that mistake again.

OLB, ILB, or S is my guess for next year's top pick. Either way, the defense will be getting heavily drafted for. If there's a mid to late round RB they want to add to the mix, I wouldn't be surprised by that, but a first round RB? **barf**
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTF wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't think Colbert is dumb enough to make that mistake again.

OLB, ILB, or S is my guess for next year's top pick. Either way, the defense will be getting heavily drafted for. If there's a mid to late round RB they want to add to the mix, I wouldn't be surprised by that, but a first round RB? **barf**
Agreed. RB might be a 2nd to 4th round pick, but not a 1st. I'm not sure if Mendy is back, he's an Unrestricted Free Agent. Redman is a Restricted FA. I think they tender Redman, keep he Dwyer, Rainey and draft another RB to add to the mix. I like Andre Ellington a lot, I did a mock in the 2013 NFL mock draft forum and I have the steelers taking him in round 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: