Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Practice Squad Talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Practice Squad Talk Reply with quote

I don't think things need new threads every time a dude is added to the PS, but I wanted to talk about the new guy we have to replace Ross's spot. James Nixon was a RB/WR/DB/RET for Temple for three years that transferred to Cal (PA.) his last year. 6'0" 180 4.3 size:speed. If this guy can bang down a position instead of being jack of all trades, master of none I think he can be special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7KyfX-c_Y
Was signed to the Cardinals to start his career

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he's got what can't be coached, speed, but can he be coached? i guess you can never have enough guys with speed around but i don't see where he fits in this year unless we start running screens. we need o-line and front 7 help IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
well he's got what can't be coached, speed, but can he be coached? i guess you can never have enough guys with speed around but i don't see where he fits in this year unless we start running screens. we need o-line and front 7 help IMO.
I think he's playing DB for us

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one might take some time if their plans are for him to play CB. Kids from my backyard and we took a long look at him. Felt he would play a Cobb type role at the next level at the time. Much better athlete than football player at this point though. LIS, took a long look at him and did not even have a P-FA grade there. Just not sure he is worth the investment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
LIS, took a long look at him and did not even have a P-FA grade there.
As an athlete/TAZR or as a DB?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
LIS, took a long look at him and did not even have a P-FA grade there.
As an athlete/TAZR or as a DB?

Had him on the board as a slot/T's guy. We were looking for "that guy" and found Chris Rainey.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain the TAZR (Taser?) origins please. Seems like a word thrown around this season for guys who are in a pure "athlete" role.

Does every scouting dept have a list of these guys? Only certain teams who would be looking to use them?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
Can someone explain the TAZR (Taser?) origins please. Seems like a word thrown around this season for guys who are in a pure "athlete" role.
I think TAZR is a RB/WR combo type player. That's how I've heard it used for the past couple years in the NCAA and it's moving over to the NFL. Think like Devin Hester/Reggie Bush/Percy Harvin/Darren Sproles/CJ Spiller/DeAnthony Thomas. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's always how I took it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some videos I found of PS guys

BJ Coleman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCq77m5fs8&feature=plcp
Diondre Borel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jkayRsoLk
Andrew Datko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlp5GAIGuKI
Greg Van Roten: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayBl4By5mYE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-scout-team-defended-e9770tp-173980081.html

Quote:
"For whatever reason, the rookies have not picked up what the practice tempo looks like or the importance of the scout-team looks as well as maybe it's been in the past," Rodgers said during his weekly radio show on WAUK-AM (540). "I don't know if Mike said that in his press conference but he definitely mentioned that in our team meeting.

"There needs to be a level of professionalism that is current through the entire team from the veterans to the rookies that they kind of understand how each part of the day adds to the preparation. And I think it definitely can be improved on their standpoint from an assignment and a tempo side of practice."

"Oh yeah, we've got good guys in there," said Mike Trgovac, who coaches the defensive line. “Lawrence Guy has been doing a hell of a job. ‘Campy’ (Campen) even commented to me on the job that Lawrence did this week in practice.”

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#Packers promote Greg Van Roten to the active roster. He was excellent in camp in pass pro.
Probably won't be on the active 45. Not even sure if we will pick someone up for our PS to replace his spot before we send him back down for the PUP guys. Interesting that it's not Datko though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Quote:
#Packers promote Greg Van Roten to the active roster. He was excellent in camp in pass pro.
Probably won't be on the active 45. Not even sure if we will pick someone up for our PS to replace his spot before we send him back down for the PUP guys. Interesting that it's not Datko though.

That one is very interesting. Wonder if someone put in a claim there? Looking into it right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of those injuries to our boys look bad. might be bringing one or both of Guy or Datko up after this game Sad

Shields, Smith, and Perry all looked really....really bad
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodsmightybelt wrote:
some of those injuries to our boys look bad. might be bringing one or both of Guy or Datko up after this game Sad

Shields, Smith, and Perry all looked really....really bad

Smith is the only one I'm really worried about. Shields looked like it hurt, but he was kicked, and I think he's going to be ok, just sore. Perry wouldn't have been up, walking, jumping, biking, if they even thought it might be serious.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as it looks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank-O

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodsmightybelt wrote:

Shields
, Smith, and Perry all looked really....really bad

Shields?

He got kicked in the shin. Highly doubt it's anything near serious for him. Smith and Perry could both be season ending, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: