Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 3: Texans [2-0] at Broncos [1-1]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: GDT Week 3: Texans [2-0] at Broncos [1-1] Reply with quote

I hope nobody minds, but I took the liberty of creating the gameday thread.

This is going to be a great game. The first real test for the Texans and the third real test for the Broncos in as many weeks. Here's a look at the matchup.

BRONCOS DEPTH CHART

WR Demaryius Thomas Matthew Willis
LT Ryan Clady Chris Clark
LG Zane Beadles C.J. Davis
C J.D. Walton Dan Koppen
RG Chris Kuper Manny Ramirez
RT Orlando Franklin Chris Clark
TE Joel Dreessen Jacob Tamme Julius Thomas
WR Eric Decker Brandon Stokley Andre Caldwell
QB Peyton Manning Brock Osweiler Caleb Hanie
FB Chris Gronkowski
RB Willis McGahee Knowshon Moreno Lance Ball Ronnie Hillman

LDE Derek Wolfe Malik Jackson
DT Kevin Vickerson Sealver Siliga
NT Justin Bannan Mitch Unrein
RDE Elvis Dumervil Robert Ayers
SLB Von Miller Nate Irving
MLB Joe Mays Steven Johnson
WLB Wesley Woodyard Keith Brooking Danny Trevathan
LCB Champ Bailey Chris Harris
RCB Tracy Porter Tony Carter Omar Bolden
SS Mike Adams Quinton Carter David Bruton
FS Rahim Moore Jim Leonhard

TEXANS DEPTH CHART

WR1 Andre Johnson Lestar Jean Trindon Holliday
LT Duane Brown Andrew Gardner
LG Wade Smith
C Chris Myers Ben Jones
RG Antoine Caldwell Brandon Brooks
RT Derek Newton Ryan Harris
TE Owen Daniels Garrett Graham
WR2 Kevin Walter Keshawn Martin DeVier Posey
QB Matt Schaub T.J. Yates John Beck
RB Arian Foster Ben Tate Justin Forsett
FB James Casey Tyler Clutts

DE J.J. Watt Tim Jamison
DT Shaun Cody Earl Mitchell
DE Antonio Smith Jared Crick
SLB Brooks Reed Bryan Braman Jesse Nading
ILB Brian Cushing Mister Alexander
ILB Bradie James Tim Dobbins
WLB Connor Barwin Whitney Mercilus
LCB Kareem Jackson Alan Ball Brandon Harris
RCB Johnathan Joseph Brice McCain Roc Carmichael
SS Danieal Manning Quintin Demps
FS Glover Quin Shiloh Keo

KEY MATCHUPS

Broncos LB's vs. Texans Running Game

The old school Broncos offense will be on display this Sunday. The Broncos have to stay gap disciplined and limit their ground attack. If they get in third and short situations all day it could spell trouble for the Broncos.

Broncos Pass Rush vs. Texans O-Line

The Broncos really need to get the pass rush going. It has been OK, but Doom has been relatively quiet and they aren't getting much push up the middle. Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger escaped numerous times up the field to extend plays and drives.

Texans Pass Rush vs. Broncos O-Line

This will be a huge factor in the game. If Manning can stay upright he will find holes in this defense. I think we will see alot more running early and more dink and dunk to keep Texans off of Manning. They can bring the heat and it will be the biggest test yet for the Broncos O-Line.

Texans CB's vs. Broncos WR's

I think the Broncos have an advantage here. Joseph is a great cover corner and Jackson has improved since his arrival. Despite this I think the physicality of Decker and Thomas can be to our advantage. They can use this advantage in the short passing game, which I think is key to the Broncos success on Sunday.

Can't Wait until Sunday!!!!!
roar2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait for this game.

And also can't wait to see #80 Rod Smith, get into the ring of fame. An honor that is very well deserved.

I don't think its coincidence either that it fell on the day Gary Kubiak and Dennison come back to town.

Good write up by the way.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a tough game for the Broncos to win.

On offense, Houston has its zone blocking and two good RBs. If they get an early lead, they can control the clock. On defense, their 3-4 is more of a 5-2 alignment that is aggressive.

I expect a low-scoring game. Texans over Broncos 17-14.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
On defense, their 3-4 is more of a 5-2 alignment that is aggressive.

In terms of gap control, the Texans Defense was actually a 4-3 Defense with their DE's just standing up last year. I don't know if this has changed this year.

We always seem to struggle against Offenses that employ zone slants and use Play Action (bootlegs, rollouts etc) on the back of their running game. The key to the game without question is keeping the Texans in 3rd and long so that our DE's can tee off without having to worry about Play Action. I commented in the Falcons game thread that Von Miller was fooled twice by a naked bootleg off the back of Play Action (zone to the Offense's left), and the WR came back across the formation under the OL. This play is a staple of the Texans Offense, and our back side Defenders NEED to be disciplined.

To be honest, the Texans might be the most well rounded team in the NFL. They have explosion on Offense and they have playmakers all over the Defense. I have no idea how we are going to stop JJ Watt, who seems to get his hands on at least 3 passes a game, along with hitting the QB that many times. Zane Beadles tends to be our pulling Guard when we run out of Shotgun; are we willing to let Ryan Clady try and get inside leverage on JJ Watt when Zane does this? He will have to be quick, that is for sure (that or cut his feet).

We just need to limit the Texans run plays and be opportunistic with any good field position we get.

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21593493/rod-smith-reflects-dream-career-ring-fame-induction

Rod Smith will be inducted into the Ring of Fame at halftime. About time.

Too bad CBS probably won't show any of it.

Last edited by broncosfan07 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roar2014 wrote:
Cant wait for this game.

And also can't wait to see #80 Rod Smith, get into the ring of fame. An honor that is very well deserved.

I don't think its coincidence either that it fell on the day Gary Kubiak and Dennison come back to town.

Wasn't Wade Phillips Head Coach when Rod first signed with Denver too?

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
roar2014 wrote:
Cant wait for this game.

Wasn't Wade Phillips Head Coach when Rod first signed with Denver too?
Yep Rod was originally signed by New England and released then signed with us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
To be honest, the Texans might be the most well rounded team in the NFL. They have explosion on Offense and they have playmakers all over the Defense. I have no idea how we are going to stop JJ Watt, who seems to get his hands on at least 3 passes a game, along with hitting the QB that many times. Zane Beadles tends to be our pulling Guard when we run out of Shotgun; are we willing to let Ryan Clady try and get inside leverage on JJ Watt when Zane does this? He will have to be quick, that is for sure (that or cut his feet).

J.J. Watt is primarily lined up on the defensive left, or offensive right another words. So it's more likely to be Franklin and Ramirez who will have to deal with Watt, which I think will be an interesting matchup. If anything I would be worried about Brooks Reed speeding by Franklin. If Clady has to deal with a Defensive End, it will likely be Antonio Smith, who presents problems of his own. I actually don't think Zane Beadles on Smith is a good matchup at all because Smith's game is mostly about power and explosion and Beadles tends to get blown up badly by guys like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we run a lot of the same draw plays against subpackages with Beadles pulling as we did against Atlanta. The Texans run a lot of dime and not much nickel, so we may be having a lot of running plays out of three wide receiver formations. I think we need to send Decker on deeper routes more often, as I said about the Falcons game.

I'll be curious to see if Thomas gets a lot of man coverage from Jonathan Joseph and how he(Thomas) does. Or will the Texans keep Joseph to defending whoever is on the defensive left and Jackson the right?

lomaxgr wrote:
We just need to limit the Texans run plays and be opportunistic with any good field position we get.

We're going to see what the Defensive Line is made of this game. The Right Side of the Texans line isn't that great but center over to the left they're the best in football, and overall they're still a very good blocking team.

Speaking of being opportunistic and field position situations, the Texans return man has been highly mistake prone so far so if our Special Teams is active(as it was against Atlanta) we might get some turnovers that way.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodluck guys, hope both teams come out as healthy as they come in. It should be a good one and we finally get to play a team with a pulse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a tough one, and I'm not optimistic about it.

I agree with Lomax that Houston is probably the most complete team in the league.

It will be fun to see two of the premier defenders in the AFC play in the same game (Watt and Von).

We do have the advantages that come with home field. No one is going to have an easy time defending the no huddle at altitude. That will be key if Denver is to win. I think Houston may just be too well rounded though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
In terms of gap control, the Texans Defense was actually a 4-3 Defense with their DE's just standing up last year. I don't know if this has changed this year.

Nothing has changed. Only a small point that should be made is pretty much all 3-4 teams have one of the Outside Linebackers who primarily plays with his hands in the dirt and another who plays more often standing up and is more likely to be moved outside in man coverage positions(doesn't matter if his actually responsibility is to cover, as a guy can blitz from a secondary position obviously) if a Tight End splits out for example.

When we ran the 3-4 Mario Haggan primarily played with his hands up and Dumervil with his hands in the dirt. With the Texans, Barwin has his hands in the dirt and Reed is more often the stand up guy. For the Ravens it used to be Jarrett Johnson standing up and Suggs was just rushing the QB most of the time. For the Steelers Woodley doesn't stand up as much but Harrison does(although the Steelers will go against this because they are very comfortable having Woodley in coverage). For the Jets Bryan Thomas is the quick stand up cover guy, Calvin Pace the hands in the dirt power guy. You could do this for every team, the tendencies are generally very obvious, and especially so if you're not Pittsburgh, Washington pre-Orakpo injury, or Arizona.

It's pretty funny but, the actual image most people have in their heads about the 3-4 defense rarely happens. If only three men or less are lined up with their hands in the dirt, it's probably a sub-package. And with pretty much all 3-4 teams, the tendencies of each 3-4 Linebacker in contrast to the other are very prominent and obvious.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though last week was closer than I thought - and I predicted ATL to win - , I doubt that this week will be the same. Houston is the best team in the AFC. We have improved vs the run, but the Big Smooth won't be contained for 60 minutes. We have more depth in the secondary, but this won't make a difference. An aging Andre will be held in check by Champ. It is their D which I am worried about the most. Forget Peyton's overrated and overanalyzed arm strength... The Texans' defense is going to wreck havoc all day. The only way we wim this is if Moore and Porter actually hold on to a couple of possible INTs and Doom and Wolfe step up to the plate and assist Von.

24-14 Texans.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should see alot of 2 tight ends by the Broncos. They will need them to block alot against these OLB's. Like anti said they will have enough trouble with Watt and Smith. This is also why I think the Broncos need Decker and Thomas to be good in the short passing game. It will help keep the chains moving and that running game off the field.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck this Sunday guys. It should be an excited game. I can't wait! Here's to no injuries. BTW, How has Joel Dreeseen played for you guys? I didn't see alot of the Steelers game and I didn't see alot of the Falcons game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we win this game. Good feelings. Texans are good...but my Spidey senses are tingling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: